• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Baby Bearded Dragon not active and rarely moves

Trex2020

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello,
I am a new bearded dragon owner, we have had our bearded dragon baby for about 5 days now. We got him/her from a pet store which we are finding out has very little legit information. Im hoping to find out if it is normal for a young bearded dragon to sleep or stay still so long. He eats very little as well. We just figured out the lighting for him and have taken the sand out as we read it was not good for them. Any suggestions or any helpful tips/articles would be greatly appreciated for baby bearded dragons (possibly 3 weeks old)

BeardedDragonDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
He is probably going into brumation, which is kinda like hibernation. They'll become sort of sluggish and not responsive during that period. They also won't eat or drink much. Some dragons sleep all day and some will just sleep part of the day.

kirito9976_Aaron

Bearded Dragon Egg
When bearded dragons don't get enough heat, their metabolisms can slow down and lead to them having little energy or appetite. If you witness your bearded dragon not moving much, chances are their cage is a little too cool. or like the other person said there in brumation

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hello,
I am a new bearded dragon owner, we have had our bearded dragon baby for about 5 days now. We got him/her from a pet store which we are finding out has very little legit information. Im hoping to find out if it is normal for a young bearded dragon to sleep or stay still so long. He eats very little as well. We just figured out the lighting for him and have taken the sand out as we read it was not good for them. Any suggestions or any helpful tips/articles would be greatly appreciated for baby bearded dragons (possibly 3 weeks old)
Also keep in mind that a new environment may prohibit normal behavior like eating and being active. Once you've got your temps and UVB where they need to be and your beardie becomes more comfortable with you and his/her new surroundings, you should see an increase in eating and activity. Unless, of course, like posts mentioned there is another reason like the brumation or shedding. If this behavior persists there may be something wrong and you should perhaps contact your vet. Your vet should be able to determine if it's brumation, shedding, or something more serious.

Silver dragons

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hello,
Hello, I disagree that it would be brumation as bearded dragons only do that when they're older. I'd say it's much higher of a chance that he/she is dehydrated or still adjusting to him's/hers new home. I would suggest just making sure all your husbandry is good and offering a variety of different insects including crickets and dubia roaches.