• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

At my wits end

sara

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
For several months Alf has been running her tank. At first she had pin worms and instead of being lehtargic she was running crazy. I got her over them (twice) and she would still run on occasion. For the last week from the time she wakes up unitl she goes to bed,she is constantly running,jumping,standing on her tail,banging her nose on the side of her tank,etc............It wouldn't bother me so bad,but she is also loosing weight.She has gone from 535 to 508 in about a week.If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.She is eating really well salad and supers.
Thanks,
Sara

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sara, it's quite possible that Alf is infected with 'spring fever'. All my boys are active, bearding at anything that moves, and dashing here there, banging around... Thumping around, in Orion's case. And I have seen weight fluctuations.

Just thought this might ease your mind dear.
Janie

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I never had a problem with my guy losing weight, even during brumation. The running around could just be the "spring thing", but another fecal couldn't hurt.

Since you have had problems with parasites in the past I would recommend giving a product called Parazap. I lived by it and Spyro never had a parasite. It comes in a powder form. I always gave it as a preventative. Dusted 2-3 crix a day for days once a month and it worked perfect. You can also make a "tea" out of it to use as a ridder of parasites.

You can not buy this product anywhere except here. http://www.parazap.com/

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Are you positive Alf is a gal? Can you remind us how old Alf is too?

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
She's female... One of Gina's get., and she's almost 2 if i remember ?
Janie

sara

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Janie gets the hug prize ding ding ding!!!!LOLOL I got my Alf from Gina and she is almost 2 years old. Both of my dragons are doing this male and female alike,except Gimli has the added effct of an absoltely gorgeous black beard. I guess I'm just worrying,but it is maddening,I'm afraid she's gonna hurt herself.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
lol.. I just pay attention is all, and I had prior experience with you three.. And Timmy !
you honestly should see all mine, Sara... monsters every last one of them... Good thing I built my enclosures strong.. Orion just thumps and thuds around his all day !
Janie

sara

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks Janie and everyone who offered suggestions! Now I have another question. How do you deal with/help a constantly overexcited,stressed and black bearding dragon? My Gimli (also from Gina but not one of her hatchlings) is constantly stressed. He black beards if someone sneezes or coughs,he black beards if you even look at him(at least it seems that way.) And of course is turning into Daddy's boy as well(that' such a shock...........NOT) My husband has a great bonding with these animals,he took Alf the first day she was home just by speaking when he came home.He wouldn't hold Gimli when we first got him because he was afraid of doing something like that with him. Now when he speaks Gimli turns to find him and will calm down very quickly when Mark gets hold of him. Today I started tp move him to an extra tank to thoroughly clean his tank and do a temp check etc...... and started fighting me,black bearding and trying tog et away. Mark said "I'll hold him if you want me to." and I took him to Mark,Mark spoke to him and stroked his back and he was fine,calmed down and all. I finished what I was doing and picked him up,I was automatically black bearded and head bobbed,it took him about 15 minutes to realize,hey she's not taking me back to Daddy before he finally calmed back down and whe Mark came through the room to get
ready to go outside to work on the car,he spoke to Gimli..........Guess what? I got black bearded me again.Any suggestions or have I lost another dragon to my beardie loving husband? I am a little jealous now.....LOLOLOLOL I'm just glad he loves my scaley critters,but then again why wouldn't he he was the one who first fell in love with them and asked aboutg eting one. Sorry this was so long.
Sara

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Not much you can do about that. Some just attach themselves to certain people in the household. I know that Sandy's husband has that affect on her beardies. The just love him.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
you just ignore them, like you would a teenager with bad bathroom jokes...
Janie

pscaulkins

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Sara, we are having that issue with Magick. No weight loss but super hyper and she black beards and head bobs everything. Maybe Alf and Jada can trade some spring fever symptoms. Jada is getting TO fat. She is super hyper and yesterday she showed our grandsons how to jump. When Jada runs, she jumps/leaps.

Janie, how do you ignore a coal black beard/head bobbing freak? She gets right into our face and does it, even to Phil, who she is madly in love with. lol

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I follow one solid piece of advise... walk on by... walk on by... Love Carol King ;)
Janie

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
LOL!!! She is not happy about something that's for sure!! But even as we speak. Petrie is in his enclosure making a terrible racket!! I can hear him headbobbing ferociously from here. Yo was calmly looking at him but when he saw me he wanted out of his enclosure too!!! He begged to be put down so he could go exploring but I see now his beard is black too!! We have spoiled our beardies rotten so what else could be expected? They are smart enough to manipulate too. Every so often Yo plays his "help me. I am crippled game" He has some trouble moving around so he will some times slip and end up on his back. But I know he can and I have seen him right himself. Months will go by with out a problem. He falls he flips himself over and life goes on. But today is one of those days that he will just lay there on his back and look at me like he is helpless. I have had to go and rescue him 3 times. Each time I make a huge fuss over him. Lots of hugs and kisses and sympathy. He is now happily running around the room exploring. Gotta love these guys!!! ;)

sara

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
For whatever reason,Alf was much calmer today and really surprised me,she ate her veggies!! Alf normally eats very little veggies without me talking her into to it and even trying hand feeding to get her started,she is NOT a veggie loving dragon. Today I made her normal greens salad,dandelion greens and collard greens,but added finely chopped mixed vegetables(these I bought frozen because she doesn't like canned veggies),well poof be gone the veggies disappeared. I don't know what made her do it and no I don't give them many mixed veggies like that and hadn't for a while,I get mixed reactions to using veggies,some say yes feed them regularly,some say don't do that. So if any one wants to comment,feel free.
And Gimli gave me a wonderful surprise too. He is my wild child black bearding and head bobbing EVERYTHING,even his own reflection.Today I took him on a short ride with me and then we stopped at the local O'Reilly's auto parts (my hubby's home away from home LOLLOLOL) and I too Gimli in to see a couple of the guys who work there,they are facinate with him and Alf. I took extra pains to make sure I had a good grip(although not too hard) on him so he couldn't bolt and run away...when Mark pulled the blankie off of Gimli the little darling looked up at me as if to say "Mom,why the death grip here? I am being good and innocent." He was very sweet and calm the whole time we were there.LOLOLOL Oh well it was a good day.
Sara

sara

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Things have been much calmer today. All 3 of my critters ate well and Alf spent most of the day on her log.(By 3 I mean 2 beardies 1 gecko)She has lost a little of the wild look in her eyes too.