• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Arugula as a staple?

Kellie Courtney

Bearded Dragon Egg
Max is about 6-7 months old now and Im trying to get him(or her) to eat more veggies. He loves carrots but I read theyre not supposed to eat them too often and the lady at petco told me to feed him spinach and kale but I already read that beardies should never eat those. I just got arugula and he's actually eating it but Im just wondering if its a good staple veggie and if anyone else uses it. My local grocery story doesnt have alafa or brussel sprouts or dandelion greens, and arugula is the only green they have that is safe to feed bearded dragons. I just dont know if they can eat it everyday. Also how often can they eat fruits? My beardie loves fruit but i dont want to feed it to him to often. He eats a lot of crickets but i ordered phoenix worms because i heard those r better for them. If anyones had any experience with them, can u give me some info about them lol. This is kind of all over the place but im just wondering what to feed Max because he never stops eating

AngelDeVille

Hatchling Dragon
I’m kinda new, but if it’s green, it goes in em’.

Mine doesn’t like carrots or fruit much.

Romaine, red leaf lettuce, spinach, broccoli, bok choy, some unidentifiable green leafy stuff at the Asian market... All stuff we eat.

We don’t have use for kale in the house so I don’t buy it.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Max is about 6-7 months old now and Im trying to get him(or her) to eat more veggies. He loves carrots but I read theyre not supposed to eat them too often and the lady at petco told me to feed him spinach and kale but I already read that beardies should never eat those. I just got arugula and he's actually eating it but Im just wondering if its a good staple veggie and if anyone else uses it. My local grocery story doesnt have alafa or brussel sprouts or dandelion greens, and arugula is the only green they have that is safe to feed bearded dragons. I just dont know if they can eat it everyday. Also how often can they eat fruits? My beardie loves fruit but i dont want to feed it to him to often. He eats a lot of crickets but i ordered phoenix worms because i heard those r better for them. If anyones had any experience with them, can u give me some info about them lol. This is kind of all over the place but im just wondering what to feed Max because he never stops eating
If you are online not using this talktalk app under some of our comments we have several links and 1 has a food link for beautifuldragons in there is a large list of food items.. also can find this info in the general care section.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Arugula is okay to feed mixed with other greens. Try to find curly endive, that's a somewhat common thing that most stores have. Collard greens and Mustard greens are a good staple and most stores do have that too. Kale is okay to feed if it's mixed with other greens.

Spinach is a definite NO. It binds to calcium more than kale does. Anything with lettuce in it's name is a no. Green leaf, Red Leaf, Romaine, Iceburg, all lake the nutrients they need and can cause runny stools.

Check out the beautiful dragons website and click on the nutrition link. Not only does it list healthy veggie but it also lists bugs and plants they can eat too.