• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Are Discoids a good staple for beardies

Chubbyb

Hatchling Dragon
Hey guys I just wanted to know are discoid roaches are a good primary insect to feed a juvenile dragon because crickets are getting annoying with the smell and all of the chirping lol . I am also thinking of breeding them so it will be cheaper then crickets. I found a breeder who will sell me 1000 nymphs for $75 is this a good deal or can I find that somewhere else cheeper?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have been raising\breeding Discoids for many years as my BDs staple food. They are similar to (Get a little larger, I'm told move a little faster) & as good as Dubia as staple feeders. The 4 Dragons that I have now, other than a few crickets for a week or so, have been fed nothing but Discoids since hatching. If Vasuki is any example, as shown below, in the quote from another thread that I posted tonight, they definitely are not doing them any harm ;).
3 Months Old Today
VASUKI
index.php
index.php

$75 for 1000 mixed nymphs sounds fair. But if you do not start out with any adults, or near adults, it could be 4-7 months or more, before you have an established colony. They do not turn into adults until they are approximately 4-5 months old, give or take, depends on the environment they are raised in. Their care & needs are the same as raising Dubia.

Clicking on my signature will take you to my website, there is a number of videos of my colonies being fed, & the Discoids being fed to my BDs.

Good Luck

Chubbyb

Hatchling Dragon
wow hes really big compared to mine, my beardie is only 9"long he was "born" on 5/29/12 from what the breeder told me and he was supposed to be a she -_-, I always feel like im constantly doing something wrong :(

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You can watch Vasuki hatching here on July 5th, 2012 ...

But he is HUGE for his age, the others are not near as big ...

Chubbyb

Hatchling Dragon
is their anyway to tell the age of your beardie?? other then when the breeder telling you when he thinks he was born

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Nope! As you can see each individual BD grows at their own rate ;) . Vasuki may just stop growing for a few months & his siblings may catch up.