• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Are changes in behavior & appetite normal?

WeirdBeard23

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey fellow Bearded Buds ,

Got a couple concerns ..

First off On 12/15/18 my Bf Brought My KeLysi home as a Xmas... She [now im pretty sure is actually a "He" but since wk #1 I've thought was was female so its kinda hard adjustment for me lol smh....]
Anyways has been a dream so cute an sweet picky an at times moody but never a dull moment ... Basically nothing I expected of a Lizard I pictured somewhat like a fish but I'd say more along the lines of a cat/dog !!

She has changed so much as shes grown an just as yu adjust to learning an growing w. A kid I Did wit Lysi but these past few months shes Been extremely moody & stressed. Its caused her to not want to eat ,shes been wild in an out of her tank, shes destroying it a few times a day: digging, jumpin, scratchin, flippin her items & plants all over & shes so loud for something small its surprising.
b4 wen she got like this she wanted a diet change basically 1st time wormies 2nd more greens & fruits the nxt time was when I brought my rescue Beardie Natzu home but she only acted like that for a week mayb 2. Each time.
Now She has been like this for at least 2months but her appetite has been worse now for 3months give or take a few wks... Shes always been extremely selective or picky with her food an water but now its so bad tht shes barely eating but wen she does she will b a lil fatty

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey fellow Bearded Buds ,

Got a couple concerns ..

First off On 12/15/18 my Bf Brought My KeLysi home as a Xmas... She [now im pretty sure is actually a "He" but since wk #1 I've thought was was female so its kinda hard adjustment for me lol smh....]
Anyways has been a dream so cute an sweet picky an at times moody but never a dull moment ... Basically nothing I expected of a Lizard I pictured somewhat like a fish but I'd say more along the lines of a cat/dog !!

She has changed so much as shes grown an just as yu adjust to learning an growing w. A kid I Did wit Lysi but these past few months shes Been extremely moody & stressed. Its caused her to not want to eat ,shes been wild in an out of her tank, shes destroying it a few times a day: digging, jumpin, scratchin, flippin her items & plants all over & shes so loud for something small its surprising.
b4 wen she got like this she wanted a diet change basically 1st time wormies 2nd more greens & fruits the nxt time was when I brought my rescue Beardie Natzu home but she only acted like that for a week mayb 2. Each time.
Now She has been like this for at least 2months but her appetite has been worse now for 3months give or take a few wks... Shes always been extremely selective or picky with her food an water but now its so bad tht shes barely eating but wen she does she will b a lil fatty
Your dragon is 2 years old? And she is female for sure? We need to go over the lighting in the tank UVB brand and bulb coil or tube and where in the tank is it? How old is the UVB? Basking temps what are they and how are you taking them? No stickons please--- is she digging ? Has she ever laid eggs before? Is she losing weight? You can weigh her on a kitchen food scale weigh in grams--- Is she housed w/ another dragon? Has she ever brumated before? We need to start ruling all these things out before we can figure out the behavior

WeirdBeard23

Bearded Dragon Egg
Your dragon is 2 years old? And she is female for sure? We need to go over the lighting in the tank UVB brand and bulb coil or tube and where in the tank is it? How old is the UVB? Basking temps what are they and how are you taking them? No stickons please--- is she digging ? Has she ever laid eggs before? Is she losing weight? You can weigh her on a kitchen food scale weigh in grams--- Is she housed w/ another dragon? Has she ever brumated before? We need to start ruling all these things out before we can figure out the behavior
So I honestly thought she was female bc of a site i read when i 1st got her but over time learnin mre & now shes bigger I held a light up to her and im about 80% sure she is actually a "He" but its been hard to change my thought on it from habit alone there was 2 shadows on the base of the tail below the vent one Left & one Right.. My 2nd beardie has only one shadow and a sort of buldge so my info in the early stages where misinformed....
2.) Now on Lysi tank I have a ceramic i use at night an in the day i use ZooMed dome lights 150w Repti halogen UvB an a. Zilla T5 18" UvA ( idk if tht one is right so ive been shoppin around) I try to keep the lighting even throughout the tank besides her baskin spot & i keep the bulbs about 6months give or take i did use coils but noticed they turn grey/blk an blow alot faster so stopped
3.) I have sticky temps but they barely say much. so i have digital temp & humidity gages which i try to keep at 30%/40% & 75.8°/90° in 2 in both tanks on cool & hot sides
4.) Shes weighed 1lb 2.1oz 3months ago & 18.6cm long i can reweigh tomrw wen she wakes

Smithy

Hatchling Dragon
So I honestly thought she was female bc of a site i read when i 1st got her but over time learnin mre & now shes bigger I held a light up to her and im about 80% sure she is actually a "He" but its been hard to change my thought on it from habit alone there was 2 shadows on the base of the tail below the vent one Left & one Right.. My 2nd beardie has only one shadow and a sort of buldge so my info in the early stages where misinformed....
2.) Now on Lysi tank I have a ceramic i use at night an in the day i use ZooMed dome lights 150w Repti halogen UvB an a. Zilla T5 18" UvA ( idk if tht one is right so ive been shoppin around) I try to keep the lighting even throughout the tank besides her baskin spot & i keep the bulbs about 6months give or take i did use coils but noticed they turn grey/blk an blow alot faster so stopped
3.) I have sticky temps but they barely say much. so i have digital temp & humidity gages which i try to keep at 30%/40% & 75.8°/90° in 2 in both tanks on cool & hot sides
4.) Shes weighed 1lb 2.1oz 3months ago & 18.6cm long i can reweigh tomrw wen she wakes
Yes, Bearded Dragons are very different from their behaviour, but all have similarities depending upon the sex. Here is an Example, I bought a Male (identified by elongated swellings on either side of the base of his tail) and a much larger head and beard than his female companion.
Most people will say they are solitary species, however Western Australian Dwarf Pogona Minor Bearded Dragons, ate actually a clan animal, gather in social groups, and even stack ontop of one another. (Called stacking) But Central and Eastern Dragons are definitely solitary animals. Unlike their Dwarf Pogona relatives.
By the sounds of what is happening in your enclosure, I can't be certain, but indeed indicates male behaviour.
This doesn't mean your Dragon is a male, if there are no hemipenes present, you may have a "Hot Female. " a term used to describe a female that is infertile for her entire life. Apparently this can happen if the temperature spikes in the incubator when she was an egg.
Don't worry too much, as this will not affect her health, unless she picks a fight with another Beardy. Or topples a log or some decor onto herself. Males are very boisterous as are hot females, but normally Females are quite submissive. In your case it may be a simple matter of taking her / him out of the enclosure more frequently and take her outside into the sun.
Because she / he is so active I believe that your Beardy must be getting ample heat and light. However the U.V.A. U V.B. light emitter must be replaced every 6 months. I know the package suggests one year, but after 6 months all globes tubes and coils lose their effectiveness. After one year they are useless. The more rays the better for these little sunbathers. But ensure there is a cool spot for your Dragon to self regulate. She / he sounds like having a ball. Ha ha. Ensure that the fixtures are fixed and can't become dislodged and injure your Dragon.

Smithy

Hatchling Dragon
Yes, Bearded Dragons are very different from their behaviour, but all have similarities depending upon the sex. Here is an Example, I bought a Male (identified by elongated swellings on either side of the base of his tail) and a much larger head and beard than his female companion.
Most people will say they are solitary species, however Western Australian Dwarf Pogona Minor Bearded Dragons, ate actually a clan animal, gather in social groups, and even stack ontop of one another. (Called stacking) But Central and Eastern Dragons are definitely solitary animals. Unlike their Dwarf Pogona relatives.
By the sounds of what is happening in your enclosure, I can't be certain, but indeed indicates male behaviour.
This doesn't mean your Dragon is a male, if there are no hemipenes present, you may have a "Hot Female. " a term used to describe a female that is infertile for her entire life. Apparently this can happen if the temperature spikes in the incubator when she was an egg.
Don't worry too much, as this will not affect her health, unless she picks a fight with another Beardy. Or topples a log or some decor onto herself. Males are very boisterous as are hot females, but normally Females are quite submissive. In your case it may be a simple matter of taking her / him out of the enclosure more frequently and take her outside into the sun.
Because she / he is so active I believe that your Beardy must be getting ample heat and light. However the U.V.A. U V.B. light emitter must be replaced every 6 months. I know the package suggests one year, but after 6 months all globes tubes and coils lose their effectiveness. After one year they are useless. The more rays the better for these little sunbathers. But ensure there is a cool spot for your Dragon to self regulate. She / he sounds like having a ball. Ha ha. Ensure that the fixtures are fixed and can't become dislodged and injure your Dragon.
If she / he can see the sun from her enclosure she may be trying to escape!

Smithy

Hatchling Dragon
If she / he can see the sun from her enclosure she may be trying to escape

WeirdBeard23

Bearded Dragon Egg
If she / he can see the sun from her enclosure she may be trying to escape!
Yes Lysi does attempt to get out but only bc 2x a week i let them both sit on a cat hammock in the window they love to look outside an climb the screen plus i set up gates an let them roam around the room so they can stretch their legs run & climb freely then in the summer i take them for car rides an walks but on leashes once she even went swimming in the lake which surprised the heck outa me but she went in on her own an swam for about 10/15min shes the best the personality she has is so different frm Natzu my other beardie

Smithy

Hatchling Dragon
Yes Lysi does attempt to get out but only bc 2x a week i let them both sit on a cat hammock in the window they love to look outside an climb the screen plus i set up gates an let them roam around the room so they can stretch their legs run & climb freely then in the summer i take them for car rides an walks but on leashes once she even went swimming in the lake which surprised the heck outa me but she went in on her own an swam for about 10/15min shes the best the personality she has is so different frm Natzu my other beardie
Yes, my male likes swimming, but his missus Ebiny hates getting wet. When I spray their cage and mist it, she runs for cover, and Ely starts jumping in the water dish and having a long drink. Runs around the enclosure, making a mess, then back in for a dip.
The difference in behaviour is quite remarkable.

Smithy

Hatchling Dragon
Don't worry about the glass surfing, I think all tame Beardies do this some .ore often than others. Ebony rarely, Ely every day. Star does that when he sees me. Just ensure that your Bearded Dragons can't injure themselves trying to get out. I lost Ebony in my house on a few occasio, she was able to squeeze through the mesh. I rectified this by using a smaller mesh. Initially I thought that my friend had forgotten to close the lid or something. It was amazing how she could squeeze through.