• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Anyone with pacman frog experience? I have an issue.

Allthingsterrarium

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey everybody! If anybody here currently has a pacman frog and has had similiar problems I would love to get your input. For the record I am a member of a website called frogforum.com which is fantastic and I'm going to ask there too but seems to have a few bugs as of late and not as many people on it as there used to be so if I could get a second opinion here I would appreciate that very much. I've had my pacman frog Button since November of 2014 and I'm not sure how old he was when I got him but he couldn't have been particularly old. His species is a chacoan/cranwell's horned frog or ceratophrys cranwelli and he's roughly the size of a baseball if that helps. I'm not exactly worried yet but my concern is growing. I know pacmans can go a very long time without eating, especially when they sometimes start brumating when it gets cooler which I originally thought was the problem because he was at room temperature at 73 degrees and I got him a better heating pad not too long ago but he has barely eaten all summer and is still refusing food which is starting to get alarming real quick. He's pretty much outgrown crickets but will still take them sometimes. Otherwise he eats nightcrawlers, roaches, sometimes canned grasshoppers and occasionally thawed mice. He usually reacts to movement pretty well and sometimes he'll cooperate with forceps and even when he doesn't you might be able to force him to open his mouth but even that isn't working. With the heating pad and space heater now the tank is usually about 80-85 degrees and 73 degrees+ at night yet he still refuses food even though he seems to be getting more active. In our house we keep the air conditioning on when it's warm and I have the space heater in winter, usually with the house heat on so to him summer is probably more like winter and winter more like summer. He's still looking pretty good and hasn't lost too much weight but I still wish I could find out what's wrong. I wish someone would just take a look at him but it seems like most veterinarians won't do their job and see anything other than dogs and cats. I've seen terrarium animals refuse food until they starved despite everything before and I don't want to watch that happen again. I don't know though, maybe it's just his time, pacmans can live up to 15 years but sometimes as little as 5 and I still don't know exactly how old he was when I got him. He hasn't lost too much weight but maybe two meals in 5 months is unacceptable even for an animal that can slow it's metabolism down considerably. Here's a picture of him I just took a couple minutes ago.

Attachments

• Button current condition.JPG
    Button current condition.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 38

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I just awed out loud, he is so cute! He doesn't look bad.

I've had my girl for over a year and a half. I had a heater on her tank but I never felt like it got warm enough for her. It kept the glass warm where she was sitting but the ambient temp was still cool and she never left that spot. If the spot got too hot or too dry she would start to estivate and I wouldn't see her for weeks. I switched to overhead heating. A low watt basking bulb one for night and one for day and she seems to come out on her own more now. She still burrows for about a week before she comes out but she does. If it's been longer than a week, I will dig her out and make sure she is okay. Usually she will eat a little something and then burrow again.

Allthingsterrarium

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I just awed out loud, he is so cute! He doesn't look bad.

I've had my girl for over a year and a half. I had a heater on her tank but I never felt like it got warm enough for her. It kept the glass warm where she was sitting but the ambient temp was still cool and she never left that spot. If the spot got too hot or too dry she would start to estivate and I wouldn't see her for weeks. I switched to overhead heating. A low watt basking bulb one for night and one for day and she seems to come out on her own more now. She still burrows for about a week before she comes out but she does. If it's been longer than a week, I will dig her out and make sure she is okay. Usually she will eat a little something and then burrow again.

Thanks PatsyB! The more I think about it I'm starting to think it is about time to get an overhead bulb. Maybe something invisible to him so it doesn't hurt his eyes. I wonder if they just naturally eat a couple times a year when they're adults like crocodiles do. I was also just told on another forum to try giving him giving him a bath in warm water with electrolytes.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Yeah, I don't know about the eating thing. I know mine will sometimes go 2 weeks without eating. Maybe because you do feed him the occasional pinky, he stays full longer?

Allthingsterrarium

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Yeah, I don't know about the eating thing. I know mine will sometimes go 2 weeks without eating. Maybe because you do feed him the occasional pinky, he stays full longer?

Probably actually. In fact one of his most recent meals was a small full grown mouse. Considering the high protein and fat content that probably had him set for a few months come to think of it. I still wish we wouldn't starve himself and take food whenever I have it for him.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I don't like the idea of feeding mice :( I fed my girl a few huge dubia last night and some hornworms and she farted so loud and then froze as if she just sharted herself LOL! I have never heard her do that before so it was shocking, kinda like when my fluffy cat does it, you don't expect it to come from them!