• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Anyone have UVB bulb issues?

Motherofdragons0727

Hatchling Dragon
We had UVB bulb that we bought when we brought Godzilla home on July 11th. Well, It went out about a week ago maybe? After looking at it, it looks like glass on the inside was popping and scratching off the fog look on the inside of the light bulb. So i chalked it up to buying a faulty bulb. It was a Zoo Med 100w reptile basking spot lamp. Well, we had a back-up that came with the tank kit my husband bought at Walmart to start out Godzilla in. We were using that bulb until my son was putting him back into his enclosure today and THAT bulb went out. So at the moment i have his CHE in to keep it hot enough until my husband can run to the store in town to get another UVB. I'm at a loss though. Not sure what's causing this as i know these bulbs are supposed to last months long. I am thinking it could possibly be the dome causing it? But I'm not sure. These bulbs are expensive though so I am getting frustrated to say the least. Is there a certain brand that lasts longer than others? I thought for sure Zoo Med would last as it had tons of good reviews and it's name brand. I need one that isnt the tube light because we just have domes right now.

Silver dragons

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hello, I do not have any experience with UVB bulbs as they can be bad for bearded dragons. I would definitely switch him over to a UVB tube light as they are a lot better. Also I'm a little confused on what brands you were talking about, could you post pictures or links of the bulbs you are using?

Silver dragons

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I can't find the one from Walmart that went out today but this was our first one. It was purchased from Petland. https://zoomed.com/repti-basking-spot-lamp/
Walmart ones never last more than a week, the one that you posted the link to is a good brand and normally last pretty long. I like the Exo Terra brand, they normally last a couple months, a trick is to buy them from the PetSmart website. I get mine for $3 a piece! Also just in case you didn't know the one that you linked does not create any UVB.