• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Any DIY Basking Platform Makers out there?

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I was working with the wood, trimming it up and making it look real nice. It smells like river on the outside. Cutting the uneven pieces and making them even, I decided to see how they smelled. They smelled of pine!

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Not where I found them. There's pine trees but not where I found the wood on the ground. They're upstream afar.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I know. I said the same thing. LOL..but I've got some oak and maple trees out in my yard and I cut some down. I'll have to soak one to get the bark off and the others get to have a bleach soak. First, I've got to dry them out because they were off trees. I felt sorry for doing that, clipping off branches that were big enough, but it had to be done.

MisterD83

Juvenile Dragon
Mmhmm. Youre lucky, oaks are protected to the point you need to be threatened by the branch and need a hard to get permet in order to cut it off in my area

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
All this talk was inspiring me. We walked to Menards to look at stones. Luci needs something different for his tank, the piece of wood he has is a pain in the butt for finding hiding crickets. So we thought we found something and then we started thinking about building something with wood. Then we had to look at reciprocating saws because we live in an apartment in the city and don't have a saw. After going around and around I left the store with only a headache and some paper plates, LOL! I came home and ordered a mopani wood off Amazon, he'll have it on Wednesday!

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
All this talk was inspiring me. We walked to Menards to look at stones. Luci needs something different for his tank, the piece of wood he has is a pain in the butt for finding hiding crickets. So we thought we found something and then we started thinking about building something with wood. Then we had to look at reciprocating saws because we live in an apartment in the city and don't have a saw. After going around and around I left the store with only a headache and some paper plates, LOL! I came home and ordered a mopani wood off Amazon, he'll have it on Wednesday!

I cleaned the bark off the wood today and now I have to file or take off the knobs and uneven pieces to the wood.

I keep looking in Home Depot for some river rock or something to use for the baby's tank.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

Attachments

• platform.jpg
    platform.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 22

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Here's a good question for you all.

I read that Allie's old wood harbors yellow fungus disease, correct? Here's a good question for you all.

What if I were to soak her old wood in bleach for 24-72 hours or three days to make sure that it really gets into the wood and destroys it? Would that help get rid of that yellow fungus for sure? I'm just wondering about that and soak her old plants in a solution of bleach and hot water for three days as well?

Wouldn't that get rid of yellow fungus disease as well?

I could do the same treatment of an ammonia soak first for three days, and then another three days to rinse to the plants. Won't that stop the transmission?

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
And plus: I was reading the Clorox Bleach labels. It says: Kills 99.9% of household germs.

I found this particular bleach called: White Cloud Bleach. It kills Athletes Foot. (None of the other bleaches say that so you don't know if it really does. Most of the bleaches say: Whitens clothes and that's all they say. But here the bleach that actually tells you what it kills.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/White-Cloud-Bleach-64-fl-oz/32266731

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
1: Have the plants for the baby too..Now when I have the tank all clean and everything set up, I'll take a picture and you can look at what I did.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I think the ammonia would be your best bet. I remember when my geckos got sick and passed away I read that ammonia is better at killing any diseases that remained.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I was told by Elliot from Reptaid, I would have to throw all her wood and whatever she was on out and get new.

I've gotten a lot of new things for the baby to use. I've got her climbing branches and basking logs that he/she could sit and bask on. I was thinking about the newer pieces: Habba Hut. It's slightly new. Maybe I shouldn't take a chance.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
If you don't have to use the stuff again then don't chance it. Sounds like you and Elliot are becoming good friends :)

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yep. I found I enjoyed whittling the new wood...I just hope he/she can grip it. I've got to sand it to get rid of any splinters.

Latest posts