• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Any DIY Basking Platform Makers out there?

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have a good question for you all. I'm planning on a DIY basking platform. I plan on using Poplar wood because I heard it's a safe wood to use for bearded dragons.

I keep thinking that the platform should be close enough to the basking light as possible, but I'm worried that the height might be an issue. (Risk of falling and hurting themselves. I don't want to come home and see the baby dead because of the jump.)

I was thinking of 12'', but then thought, how far should the platform be from the light? Then I figured 9'' would be all right.
What do you all think?
The Tank's dimensions may be
36L X 18W x 16H. It's a 40-55 Gallon Breeder/ critter tank made for reptiles.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I think 9" away would be fine. What if you built something that was pyramid like with steps on each side that way if they fell they wouldn't fall straight down?

I have to tell you though, Luci is like a flying squirrel! He puts all four legs straight out and just jumps off of everything and nothing happens. The other day he jumped right on the cat and one day he jumped off my shoulder onto the floor before I could catch him. He landed, looked up at me and ran off! I know once he gets bigger though he needs to be more careful.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I think 9" away would be fine. What if you built something that was pyramid like with steps on each side that way if they fell they wouldn't fall straight down?

I have to tell you though, Luci is like a flying squirrel! He puts all four legs straight out and just jumps off of everything and nothing happens. The other day he jumped right on the cat and one day he jumped off my shoulder onto the floor before I could catch him. He landed, looked up at me and ran off! I know once he gets bigger though he needs to be more careful.

I was thinking of a low platform actually. The more I think about it, the more I get worried about the height.

I haven't thought about a pyramid. But that would look interesting to see. :D

Also: I might go to a hobby store and see about their plaster of paris. (What do you think about that?)

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

Allie did that. She took a running leap from the recliner that I had her on, she flattened out like a squirrel and landed on the TV stand, no problems whatsoever when she was younger. I miss her often now.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I wonder if plaster of paris would get too hot or break down fast? I wish I was more crafty with these things. People make the coolest looking things and I am so jealous LOL!

I can't imagine the pain you are feeling with her loss.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Zoo med makes a product called Excavator clay. I have also seen Mod Podge spplued over styrofoam. I actually have both products. I actually plan to use both products. Eventually. When i have more than 10 spare minutes. Ya might want to check the temps at different heighths. Google basking ledges to see examples of tiered ledges

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I wonder if plaster of paris would get too hot or break down fast? I wish I was more crafty with these things. People make the coolest looking things and I am so jealous LOL!

I can't imagine the pain you are feeling with her loss.

I'm wondering that too. When I have everything all done, and before I get the newcomer to the house, I'm going to check everything first. New digital thermometers, and so forth. I was thinking of piling different sized clay dishes on top of each other to make a round pyramid, but then I think: What if they poop on it? The older dragons are messier than the babies, the babies have tiny poops and urates I suppose. I don't see how you can wash the clay dishes or keep them clean.

Zoo med makes a product called Excavator clay. I have also seen Mod Podge spplued over styrofoam. I actually have both products. I actually plan to use both products. Eventually. When i have more than 10 spare minutes. Ya might want to check the temps at different heighths. Google basking ledges to see examples of tiered ledges

I was thinking of Mod Podge and Styrofoam and should check that Excavator Clay. In fact, I did a little bit of experimenting with some poplar and found I could make a low platform. Maybe two.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I think Luci is way messier as far as poop goes! He goes 2 sometimes 3 times a day and they are HUGE! I wonder where he stores it all LOL! He has a piece of wood for his basking spot and it's a pain in the butt to keep clean. Usually he leans off of it and the poop goes in the middle without touching the wood but occasionally it does land on it.

MisterD83

Juvenile Dragon
my magnetic basking rock is 12ish inches off the floor in the tank and both my beardies jump off it to ambush crickets when they are in the mood to hunt neither have been hurt yet. beatrix also flew off the back of the couch in the blink of an eye then scurried under an old entertainment center that I currently use for extra storage she wasnt hurt after that ?3? foot drop either. Steiner decides to climb down the arm of the couch instead. lol

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Luci does that too with his magnetic rock! He just did the most comical thing just now, thankfully he didn't hurt himself or it wouldn't have been so funny. He was on my shoulder and I was sitting next to one of the frog tanks and he jumped nose first into the glass of the frog tank and bounced back and fell to the floor on top of a gallon of water and slid off! He stopped for a minute and then continued to run through the house.

MisterD83

Juvenile Dragon
lmao Careful Luci!!

I"ve been thinking of switching to Excavator clay. because my beardies love digging under the rocks and it creates hiding spots for crickets as well as throwing the rocks off balance - kinda makes worried they will harm them selves and each other doing that.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Wait a second...I've got a surprise...Look at what I found at the river today!
wood.jpg

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Wood and Rocks. Not pine. They're slightly damp and one of the wood pieces has it's bark coming off. Four rocks on the right. I need more of them. :D

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I love it! I'm so jealous of everyone finding rocks and branches for their tanks. I was kicking myself last weekend...we had tree trimmers on our street and I didn't think of it until afterwards I should have asked them to give me some thick branches.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank goodness...I showed my Mom and she didn't really think it was a good idea. Baby Draco or Emma, might fall from that height, but here is something she can climb and grip. :D I'm so happy and excited. I know it's not pine because it doesn't smell like pine or anything. I do know this is a safe wood because there were no pine trees around the area I found the wood in.

I'm was reading about curing the wood, or cleaning it. You have to soak it all to get rid of the wood bark with washing soda (Is that safe?) and hot water. Then rinse it well until there's no smell and then soak it in bleach. Then dry it out in the sun and then bake it when it's dry. I have to take a cutter and fine tune the wood before putting it into Allie's tank. :( I'm still calling it Allie's tank.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Washing soda should be fine. I didn't know what it was and just looked it up, it looks like it's just baking soda. I use baking soda and vinegar to clean my tub after the critters get their baths. You do want to do the bleach soak because that will kill anything living in it. Just make sure you rinse real good. Sounds like you got a fun project!

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes...Here's the thing: It said according to the instructions which I think is wrong is: Smaller branches don't require a soak in bleach? Just baking at 200-250 Degree Oven for 2-3 hours to get rid of and destroy internal parasites. I believe people just bake their branches and that's how their beardeds get internal parasites that require a treatment from the vet. I'm not taking any chances. I'll soak my branches, and follow the large sticks instructions before putting them into the oven to bake. It's going to take a few days, but it's worth it. I'll be saving some $$$ on basking logs. I got a few large pieces that an adult bearded can use.

Allie had pinworms and a bacterial infection from somewhere. Infected source of crickets or superworms. But: Before me she lived with another owner who let her out with rabbits, cats, dogs, ferrets, all types of animals that were allowed out on the floor, even dogs. I never let Allie out unless it was in an enclosed area, away from the dogs, upstairs, or in the kitchen in an enclosed space to run around.

Just last night: I was thinking about Allie and thinking about what I'm doing is nearly the same for her. I spoiled her. I might spoil this dragon. But not sure. We're changing the name to Isabelle or Isabella if it's a girl.