• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Advice on setup

Scott2022

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi all - my juvenile has not been eating good for days. I got recommendations from this site on temp and lighting. I got rid of coils and got T5 HO over thr basking area. I also have a dome light with the bulb in the pictures on the cool side. I added another heat lamp with a 60w, so now I have a 100 and 60w. Any thing else anyone can think of ?

Attachments

• 9D90F8A9-159D-4754-8A3C-E1BE10EF296F.jpeg
    9D90F8A9-159D-4754-8A3C-E1BE10EF296F.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • 1D392E9B-EC48-44E3-8FBE-48C991AF3182.jpeg
    1D392E9B-EC48-44E3-8FBE-48C991AF3182.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • DC446CF7-6DC2-4F1F-BC48-939D7DDAACAF.jpeg
    DC446CF7-6DC2-4F1F-BC48-939D7DDAACAF.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 4
  • 087D3C0C-C3F0-483E-B04E-A75E4907CB8D.jpeg
    087D3C0C-C3F0-483E-B04E-A75E4907CB8D.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 5

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi all - my juvenile has not been eating good for days. I got recommendations from this site on temp and lighting. I got rid of coils and got T5 HO over thr basking area. I also have a dome light with the bulb in the pictures on the cool side. I added another heat lamp with a 60w, so now I have a 100 and 60w. Any thing else anyone can think of ?
You must have proper basking temps and they need to be 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- you got rid of the coil but you posted a pic of the coil --- so the T 5 is a long tube fixture????? What is in the long fixture? Your dragon must have correct basking temps and correct UVB properly placed in the tank before he will eat ---

DragonM0M

Bearded Dragon Egg
I can't tell what size tank you have, but why do you have three different lighting fixtures? You should have one heat light over the warm side, and a strip UV light covering a minimum of 2/3 the length of the tank, I have my strip UV light covering the entire length of my tank and have multiple hides so my dragon can escape the 'sun' whenever they would like. Also, what are you feeding? That could play into why your dragon isn't wanting to eat, maybe they don't like what you're offering? It's also a must to maintain a proper light cycle for them. So all lights on for 12 hours and then all light off for 12 hours. As long as the room they are in does not get below 65 degrees fahrenheit at night then they do not need heat at night. If it does get colder than that then you can get a ceramic heat lamp that does not have any light.

Scott2022

Bearded Dragon Egg
I can't tell what size tank you have, but why do you have three different lighting fixtures? You should have one heat light over the warm side, and a strip UV light covering a minimum of 2/3 the length of the tank, I have my strip UV light covering the entire length of my tank and have multiple hides so my dragon can escape the 'sun' whenever they would like. Also, what are you feeding? That could play into why your dragon isn't wanting to eat, maybe they don't like what you're offering? It's also a must to maintain a proper light cycle for them. So all lights on for 12 hours and then all light off for 12 hours. As long as the room they are in does not get below 65 degrees fahrenheit at night then they do not need heat at night. If it does get colder than that then you can get a ceramic heat lamp that does not have any light.
I guess I am confused. The small light that you are saying is a coil says mini fluorescent. I thought that was different from a coil. I have two ceramic heat lamps to get the temp up to 98. I do have two temps with probes. Tanks is 30 gallon breeder tank. I feed Dubai and crickets. today he ate a small piece of green and two crickets. Lights are 12 on and 12 off (I have it set on timers). How else do you get temps up if one wont do it?

DragonM0M

Bearded Dragon Egg
I guess I am confused. The small light that you are saying is a coil says mini fluorescent. I thought that was different from a coil. I have two ceramic heat lamps to get the temp up to 98. I do have two temps with probes. Tanks is 30 gallon breeder tank. I feed Dubai and crickets. today he ate a small piece of green and two crickets. Lights are 12 on and 12 off (I have it set on timers). How else do you get temps up if one wont do it?
Are you in a cold climate? With such a small tank one heat lamp (this is the one I use for my juveniles 40 gallon tank https://www.chewy.com/zoo-med-repti-basking-reptile-spot/dp/126600) should work well, but I am in Florida so it is very hot and we keep our house at 74-76 since we have birds who need a warm environment. This light is different from a ceramic as it does emit light while a ceramic does NOT emit any light. I would recommend getting a laser thermometer as the thermometers that hang in the tank are never accurate. Here is the one I use: https://www.amazon.com/iProvèn-NCT-336BL-US-3/dp/B07NYTF3TC/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=baby+thermometer+for+head+and+water&qid=1633439521&sr=8-6. I could not find a reptile specific one in my area, but this one has worked very well. You can definitely use a ceramic heat lamp to get your temps up, but most people only use them at night if their house gets below 65 so that they can maintain the warm temp while also making sure their dragon has proper light cycles. I've heard of some people using a heating pad as well, but I don't have much experience with that. What size crickets are you feeding? At first we were feeding medium to large crickets because that is all our local store had at the time (definitely don't recommend this) so our juvenile was only eating 2-3 crickets per feeding because they were large enough to fill him up. Once we were able to get small crickets now he's eating 6-8 crickets per feeding, and we feed three times a day. You also want to make sure that your tank isn't too humid, this could also be the reason why your dragon seems off.

DragonM0M

Bearded Dragon Egg
A coil light is a type of UV light, it is not for heat. These are NOT recommended because they do not put off enough UV to be beneficial for your dragon. You should only use a strip UV light that covers minimum of 2/3 the length of your tank. It should be over both the warm and cool side of your tank. This is the one I have, but the size you need is dependent on the size of your tank: https://www.amazon.com/Zoomed-Repti...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ceramic heat emitters are for adding heat to the tank at nite -- sometimes they are used to boost heat in the tank during the day but you should be using a bright white basking bulb one that keeps temps 95-100 for a juvenile dragon -- he will not eat w/ out correct lighting and basking temps --- the 30 gallon tank is going to need to be upgraded like before hes a year old ---
What is in the long tube fixture on the screen? I need the brand and bulb --- also correct placement and distance is a ABSOLUTE MUST for these fixtures --- how high is the tank? the mini florescent bulb is a coil --- please get rid of it this is what you need for a UVB
https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...o-med-reptisun-t5-hood?variant=26907425734756 24" fixture you will need this for a larger tank like a 75-120 gallon for a adult dragon - this fixture will come w/ a 5.0 bulb you can use it on the 30 gallon tank for now and it needs to be NO OBSTRUCTION and 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor -- you will need this bulb 22" https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...d-reptisun-10-0-uvb-t5?variant=26907418591332 for a 40+ gallon tank --
Please get this ordered ASAP- these things I have posted are the MOST IMPORTANT things in that tank
https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/en...nse-basking-spot-light-14809.html?cgid=500202 I would start w/ a 100 watt bulb you MUST have the digital probes which you said you did place on the spot where he basks leave 10 min then get the temp
When you get the UVB please post back on here I will help you get it placed on the tank --

Scott2022

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ceramic heat emitters are for adding heat to the tank at nite -- sometimes they are used to boost heat in the tank during the day but you should be using a bright white basking bulb one that keeps temps 95-100 for a juvenile dragon -- he will not eat w/ out correct lighting and basking temps --- the 30 gallon tank is going to need to be upgraded like before hes a year old ---
What is in the long tube fixture on the screen? I need the brand and bulb --- also correct placement and distance is a ABSOLUTE MUST for these fixtures --- how high is the tank? the mini florescent bulb is a coil --- please get rid of it this is what you need for a UVB
https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...o-med-reptisun-t5-hood?variant=26907425734756 24" fixture you will need this for a larger tank like a 75-120 gallon for a adult dragon - this fixture will come w/ a 5.0 bulb you can use it on the 30 gallon tank for now and it needs to be NO OBSTRUCTION and 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor -- you will need this bulb 22" https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...d-reptisun-10-0-uvb-t5?variant=26907418591332 for a 40+ gallon tank --
Please get this ordered ASAP- these things I have posted are the MOST IMPORTANT things in that tank
https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/en...nse-basking-spot-light-14809.html?cgid=500202 I would start w/ a 100 watt bulb you MUST have the digital probes which you said you did place on the spot where he basks leave 10 min then get the temp
When you get the UVB please post back on here I will help you get it placed on the tank --
This is incredibly helpful. This finally made sense. I could not figure out why I can’t get my heat up and I am using the ceramic 100 w bulb, when I need the 150 basking sun bulb. I have ordered everything. how do you put the strip closer, it would have to be in the tank and my top slides open to get in there.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
This is incredibly helpful. This finally made sense. I could not figure out why I can’t get my heat up and I am using the ceramic 100 w bulb, when I need the 150 basking sun bulb. I have ordered everything. how do you put the strip closer, it would have to be in the tank and my top slides open to get in there.
The strip I am assuming your talking about the UVB ? First what brand and bulb are you using? What is in that strip? If they are coil bulbs get rid of them --- they are NO good--- once I know what your using I can better assist you

I have ordered everything--------what did you order? I will help you get it placed when I know exactly what you ordered

Scott2022

Bearded Dragon Egg
The strip I am assuming your talking about the UVB ? First what brand and bulb are you using? What is in that strip? If they are coil bulbs get rid of them --- they are NO good--- once I know what your using I can better assist you

I have ordered everything--------what did you order? I will help you get it placed when I know exactly what you ordered
I ordered the 24 inch strip light and the T5 HO 10.0 UVB bulb and the 150w exoterra basking bulb you recommended.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I ordered the 24 inch strip light and the T5 HO 10.0 UVB bulb and the 150w exoterra basking bulb you recommended.
Ok when the UVB comes in post back on here so I can help you get it placed in the tank -- depending on your screen it is possible it can sit on top but the screen MUST BE a wide hole type--- fine mesh like a screen door it needs to go inside the tank and there are certain distances as far as placement goes --- the basking bulb please make sure you are getting a temp w/ a digital probe thermometer -- it will be trial and error for bulbs-- temps fluctuate w / room temps and what the tank is made of as far as wattage --

Scott2022

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok when the UVB comes in post back on here so I can help you get it placed in the tank -- depending on your screen it is possible it can sit on top but the screen MUST BE a wide hole type--- fine mesh like a screen door it needs to go inside the tank and there are certain distances as far as placement goes --- the basking bulb please make sure you are getting a temp w/ a digital probe thermometer -- it will be trial and error for bulbs-- temps fluctuate w / room temps and what the tank is made of as far as wattage --
It is fine mesh - will need help on how to put that in the tank with my top. I have two digital thermometers with probes, one for basking spot and one on cool side.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It is fine mesh - will need help on how to put that in the tank with my top. I have two digital thermometers with probes, one for basking spot and one on cool side.
Ok it's going to need to go in tank - I will post some things you can use- the best stuff I have found is a Velcro strap stuff you cut in strips from home Depot - you wrap around the fixture I will post link for it-

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok it's going to need to go in tank - I will post some things you can use- the best stuff I have found is a Velcro strap stuff you cut in strips from home Depot - you wrap around the fixture I will post link for it-

3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire –long plastic zip ties-- fishling line or potted plant wire hangers​