• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Advice On House Gecko

LittleMerlin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey everyone,

My friend brought me a lizard a little over a week ago. He/She's still alive, but I don't know if it's eating or not. I've been misting the cage, and he has some moss as his substrate. It is a house gecko that she found crawling on the floor of her work place. Apparently the work place she is at bought some house geckos to eat some brown recluse spiders. Didn't know that till just this week. Any who, I've read on some sites that say the house gecko doesn't need heating like a regular gecko, then others say it does. He seems to be doing just fine since my room temp usually stays at about 80 anyways. Also not sure what to do about lighting for it, or if it needs it. I'm beginning to wonder if I should just let it loose in the backyard and hope for the best that it will be able to take care of itself. I've been trying to feed it flightless fruit flies, but again not sure if it's actually eating it or not. It's a VERY VERY VERY tiny thing, think it's still a baby. It's very fast as well. My friend named it Godzilla. So what's everyone else's opinion? Let it loose and hope it lives? Or keep on trying to feed it and hope for the best? It's so tiny, I have no clue what to use as a water dish for it, I don't want it to drown, that's why I mist the tank every few hours.

tdrost

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I don't know what is considered as a "house gecko", could you post a picture?
Depending on where you are at (location) I would be concerned at just letting him go in the backyard at this time of year. Around here is is already freezing at night and getting quite chilly! Plus, If he has gotten used to not having to hunt for food, he might be done for as soon as you put him outside!

LittleMerlin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
True, but I can't really tell if he's eating or not. House Geckos stick to the sides of the house and eat insects. They grow anywhere from 3-5 inches from what I've read. This one doesn't even look like it's a full inch, but I could be wrong, and I can't really get a decent photo 'cause it's so tiny and fast. I'm just worried about it not eating, and eventually just dying in the tank. It's been rather random with weather around here. Some days are cooler, and others are warm/humid still like the end of summer feeling.

LittleMerlin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Ahh well some local pet stores sell them occasionally. That's what my friend said how they ended up with lizards to begin with at her work place. The work place bought some house geckos to get rid of spiders. She said that ever since they arrived, they haven't had as many spider problems.

tdrost

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
www.house-gecko.com
Hey, so I decided to google these little guys, and found this. Not sure if it will be much help for you, but I hope it does!
good luck.
cute little guys; so tiny!! LOL, I think they are too small to get along very well in my house!

LittleMerlin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Yea I saw that site before when I was researching about them. The thing is, my little house gecko has more color than the one on that site. It almost LOOKS like a leopard gecko. That's what my friend thought it was, I hope it's not 'cause if it is, then boy I need to get it some heating pads and everything asap! He has been doing just fine as it is the way his set up is now. Again, don't know if it's eating or not since it was purchased to capture spiders at a Fred's store. He looks like a leopard gecko, but acts different, being super skittish and fast, and sticks to the tank. Leopard Geckos DON'T stick to tanks. So that's why I'm pretty sure it's a house gecko. Looks beautiful though. Has bronze like eyes. I'm gonna try to get a picture of it tomorrow, but not sure if I'll be able to or not.

Exile Skimmer

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
what i did for some animals that dont want to drink is to hold the gecko and dip your finger in the water and then put your finger on its nose so that the water runs down to the mouth and a lot of the time they will lick it off ((making them drink it)) and if they dont keep doing it a few more drops so that it kinda makes a puddle on the nose and then they might drink it.... the not eating might be from stress i know some gecko's they dont eat for besides like 1 or 2 times a week like a snake... but if that helps then i would feed it and make it nice and fat and healthy then release it into the wild or give it to some1 else... goodluck to the both of you