• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Advice for caring for horribly neglected babies.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Update: Just left the vet. Mako had both pinworms and coccidia. He'll be taking dewormer daily for the coccidia and semiweekly for the pinworms.
The vet think, too, that he'll grow since his husbandry is good.
It's a nice day, so I'm moving his cage (gently) around to get him real sun light to bask in while we drive.
Please keep Mako hydrated -- meds will dry them out and he may go off his food -- if that happens contact the vet again about feeding him by syringe- he really cant afford to be off of it - a good source is Oxbow Critical Care Herbivore and Carnivore -- its thick stuff and will really need to be watered down if you end up feeding it

Zukarin

Hatchling Dragon
Please keep Mako hydrated -- meds will dry them out and he may go off his food -- if that happens contact the vet again about feeding him by syringe- he really cant afford to be off of it - a good source is Oxbow Critical Care Herbivore and Carnivore -- its thick stuff and will really need to be watered down if you end up feeding it
He’s still on oxbow critical care which I’ve been syringe feeding him with. Everytime he licks his lips, I’ll give him water, and I intend on giving him plain water at least once a day beyond him licking his lips.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He’s still on oxbow critical care which I’ve been syringe feeding him with. Everytime he licks his lips, I’ll give him water, and I intend on giving him plain water at least once a day beyond him licking his lips.
Ok good

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Yes it really does. they have had the dragon for 1 or 2 years i cant remember but it is very sad... His tank is small and dirty. I dont know if he has UVB but i think its a coil one. Definitely no tube. :(
Please order the Reptisun 10.0 T5 for uvb and replace it every 6Mnths. The length I order ahoood cover 70 percent of the tank & get him a 120 gallon tank or at least a 40gallon but 40 is too small for an adult drago. For heat use the zoomed clear basking bulb. Never ever use colored or coiled bulbs. Also u cannot house them in the same tank; make sure u get two separate tanks.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Good job also never feed unless they have been basking for an hour or two and last feeding they need lights on for 2hoirs it takes 2hours to digest the food. Please get the proper uvb and heat lamp. Feed them lots of proteins crickets and Dubai roaches u can place them in water sometimes so they get their water and dive for them. But most important is sit there protein with calcium pwder 4 times a week once per day amd on a non calcium day diet with herptivite vitamin powder. Dotm olace the proteins in water after u dust only when u feed them again u can.

Zontar’s Mom

Juvenile Dragon
Hope little Mako gets better soon ❤️

BeardieLover<3

Juvenile Dragon
Please order the Reptisun 10.0 T5 for uvb and replace it every 6Mnths. The length I order ahoood cover 70 percent of the tank & get him a 120 gallon tank or at least a 40gallon but 40 is too small for an adult drago. For heat use the zoomed clear basking bulb. Never ever use colored or coiled bulbs. Also u cannot house them in the same tank; make sure u get two separate tanks.
I wish i could its not mine its my neighbors :(

Zukarin

Hatchling Dragon
Update: Makos been doing good. He's still moving around a lot, but he doesn't like to bask often. He has a hide under his basking spot where he tries to sleep during the day, and I move the hide as to uncover him when he stays under for long periods of time.
When he walks to the other side of the tank and looks like he's trying to glass surf, I take him out onto my desk (where I watch him). I also have a basking spot so he can bask while out.
Mako basking on my desk:
IMG_20210325_105849880_HDR.jpg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Update: Makos been doing good. He's still moving around a lot, but he doesn't like to bask often. He has a hide under his basking spot where he tries to sleep during the day, and I move the hide as to uncover him when he stays under for long periods of time.
When he walks to the other side of the tank and looks like he's trying to glass surf, I take him out onto my desk (where I watch him). I also have a basking spot so he can bask while out.
Mako basking on my desk:
View attachment 26472
He looks better -- is he eating on his own now or are you still feeding the oxbow? How long is he basking for before going under the hide?

Zukarin

Hatchling Dragon
He looks better -- is he eating on his own now or are you still feeding the oxbow? How long is he basking for before going under the hide?
I’m still feeding him the critical care. I’m gonna give him some greens today and see how he chews them.
It seems anywhere from a few minutes to an hour (sometimes longer). He seems to stay longer the further he is from the heat lamp. The probe thermometer is measuring the basking spot around 105-110 F right near the normal basking area

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I’m still feeding him the critical care. I’m gonna give him some greens today and see how he chews them.
It seems anywhere from a few minutes to an hour (sometimes longer). He seems to stay longer the further he is from the heat lamp. The probe thermometer is measuring the basking spot around 105-110 F right near the normal basking area
ok he may not be liking the so hot temps-- see where hes sitting for the longest to bask and then go from there -- it sounds like you need to adjust that temp- and the UVB is he sitting under that or they are together the basking lamp and the UVB ?

Zukarin

Hatchling Dragon
ok he may not be liking the so hot temps-- see where hes sitting for the longest to bask and then go from there -- it sounds like you need to adjust that temp- and the UVB is he sitting under that or they are together the basking lamp and the UVB ?
His UVB is pointed at the basking area, so I'll adjust that to make sure it's a good distance with the heat lamp.
I think I need to update the calcium intake, too, since he's not shaking and his urate is a bit yellow.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
His UVB is pointed at the basking area, so I'll adjust that to make sure it's a good distance with the heat lamp.
I think I need to update the calcium intake, too, since he's not shaking and his urate is a bit yellow.
yellow urate will indicate too much calcium --- do not adjust the UVB if its correct distance -- that needs to stay the same --- T 5 12-15 inches unobstructed ---- if on top of the screen that is wide holed 8-10 inches directly above the basking decor piece same w/ the T 5 -- that UVB is what is helping him absorb the calcium -- how much are you giving and is it liquid? you said UVB is pointed at the basking area -- it should be directly above him

Zukarin

Hatchling Dragon
yellow urate will indicate too much calcium --- do not adjust the UVB if its correct distance -- that needs to stay the same --- T 5 12-15 inches unobstructed ---- if on top of the screen that is wide holed 8-10 inches directly above the basking decor piece same w/ the T 5 -- that UVB is what is helping him absorb the calcium -- how much are you giving and is it liquid? you said UVB is pointed at the basking area -- it should be directly above him
I intend on adjusting the UV because I'm probably gonna move the basking area.
The oxbow is pretty watered down, and I give him a couple drops of water a day. His poop seemed a fair amount of hydrated (maybe a little chalky, but it had dried a bit), so I'm not too worried about that.
Im gonna mix some new oxbow so theres less calcium, and I'll adjust his basking area so that it is more comfortable for him.

Zukarin

Hatchling Dragon
I'm sorry about waiting this long to update, but Makos doing well!
He's active and alert! Hes even eating some solid food now (he loves to hunt, and he's really good at it)
I am a bit concerned about parasites still in his system, but I'll be sending a decal sample back to the vet in a week to see how well that is. It doesn't help that the ant problem in my house led to Mako eating a carpenter ant.
He's growing though! Hes grow 1 1/2 since I've had him (and inch of that has been in the past month). He'll be entering his second shed soon, too. (He was eye bulging the other day)

Attachments

• IMG_20210411_160606715.jpg
    IMG_20210411_160606715.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20210411_161211679.jpg
    IMG_20210411_161211679.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20210411_161301551.jpg
    IMG_20210411_161301551.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20210411_161437870.jpg
    IMG_20210411_161437870.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 8

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He's active and alert! Hes even eating some solid food now (he loves to hunt, and he's really good at it)
I am a bit concerned about parasites still in his system, but I'll be sending a decal sample back to the vet in a week to see how well that is. It doesn't help that the ant problem in my house led to Mako eating a carpenter ant.
He's growing though! Hes grow 1 1/2 since I've had him (and inch of that has been in the past month). He'll be entering his second shed soon, too. (He was eye bulging the other day)
Great news that he is thriving--- the eye bulging I am sure is the shed thing coming on --

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran
i ammmm sooo happy. he is doung great. and it’s great he is shedding! Frank is shedding right now To. When frank eye bulged the first time it freaked me out. Lol

Zukarin

Hatchling Dragon
Update: I’ve taken Mako off the coccidia medicine. I’ve still yet to take another fecal sample back to the vet, but I’ll be getting to that soon.
I’m trying to feed him more regular foods (kale and crickets), but it makes me nervous (he’s chewing much better than before, but I still worry about him since he’s been through so much) I’m gonna try and feed him more and more solid foods, progressively, everyday.
He’s still really active and alert, too! He’s also growing really well: It feels like he’s growing like a weed! He’s already 9 1/2 inches!
3D1C0635-A24F-46FA-81CC-D0243E32ED38.jpeg

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Update: I’ve taken Mako off the coccidia medicine. I’ve still yet to take another fecal sample back to the vet, but I’ll be getting to that soon.
I’m trying to feed him more regular foods (kale and crickets), but it makes me nervous (he’s chewing much better than before, but I still worry about him since he’s been through so much) I’m gonna try and feed him more and more solid foods, progressively, everyday.
He’s still really active and alert, too! He’s also growing really well: It feels like he’s growing like a weed! He’s already 9 1/2 inches! View attachment 26832
That’s sooo great I’m so happy to se he is doing well