• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Advice for caring for horribly neglected babies.

Zontar’s Mom

Juvenile Dragon
There isn’t too much to update on: Mako is doing well- not as much of an eater as day 1, but he he still licks whatever I put on his mouth.
He likes to walk around, but I think the MBD has given him joints that dont do well for walking-his ankles are kinda flat and don’t bend well. I intend on getting something for him to try to roll around on, but it’s difficult for his size. (I want some sort of finger skateboard or something in the hopes that he walk more if it’s easier and he’s build up muscles for walking) I think he’s shaking less.
He hasn’t grown much yet (maybe a gram or two), but I got the oxbow critical care yesterday (I had to order it online) and mixed it as 80%carnivore and 20% herbivore.
Mako is adorable. Such a little trooper

Zukarin

Hatchling Dragon
Any updates? I’m dying to know about mako. And omg 6 pages wow
Sorry about not updating
There were a few days where he didn’t like to eat much at all unless I forced him to, but he’s getting better with eating. When I hold the syringe up to him, he gets excited and licks the base(though he doesn’t like eating directly from the syringe for more than a bite). He loves his greens, too. Unfortunately, his teeth aren’t sharp enough to cut anything yet, so I finger-feed him tiny bits he doesn’t need to chew.
He hasn’t grown much, but I think he’s shedding soon (he was scratching his face and has that dull, preshed look to some of his scales). I’m thinking maybe his body still doesn’t have quite enough calcium to grow right, but, on the bright side, he’s moving much more and shaking next to never!

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Sorry about not updating
There were a few days where he didn’t like to eat much at all unless I forced him to, but he’s getting better with eating. When I hold the syringe up to him, he gets excited and licks the base(though he doesn’t like eating directly from the syringe for more than a bite). He loves his greens, too. Unfortunately, his teeth aren’t sharp enough to cut anything yet, so I finger-feed him tiny bits he doesn’t need to chew.
He hasn’t grown much, but I think he’s shedding soon (he was scratching his face and has that dull, preshed look to some of his scales). I’m thinking maybe his body still doesn’t have quite enough calcium to grow right, but, on the bright side, he’s moving much more and shaking next to never!
That’s so sooo cool it sounds like your doing such a good job

BeardieLover<3

Juvenile Dragon
Sorry about not updating
Glad to hear it! :)

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I'm so happy Mako is doing better if anything you can mix the critical care (If you're still feeding him that) with a little bit of butternut squash baby food, it makes it taste better and he's also getting some veggies at the same time

Zukarin

Hatchling Dragon
Update: Mako is shedding. His shed is coming off pretty good, too.
(I let him run across a pillow, and I found pieces of his finger sheds sprinkled around!)
He was initially 16 grams and 7 1/2 in. He is now almost 8 inches and 24 g (though I’m unsure how much of that weight is food he hasn’t pooped yet)

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sorry about not updating
You can try turning those green into a slushier and let him lick it off the spoon- make it a little runny w/ water so he's getting hydration as well

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Update: Mako is shedding. His shed is coming off pretty good, too.
(I let him run across a pillow, and I found pieces of his finger sheds sprinkled around!)
He was initially 16 grams and 7 1/2 in. He is now almost 8 inches and 24 g (though I’m unsure how much of that weight is food he hasn’t pooped yet)
It’s a very good sine he is shedding and running around. please post an update every week. With a pic. ( if that’s to much it’s fine I just love to see that cute little face) also I have been meaning to ask did the people you get mako and goblin from now what they were doing. Even if I new hothing about dragons I would think they could tell by looking at them

Zukarin

Hatchling Dragon
It’s a very good sine he is shedding and running around. please post an update every week. With a pic. ( if that’s to much it’s fine I just love to see that cute little face) also I have been meaning to ask did the people you get mako and goblin from now what they were doing. Even if I new hothing about dragons I would think they could tell by looking at them
The coworker my mom got them from said she gave them to us because she didn't want them to die. At the same time, she didn't do ANY research into what they needed in the months she had them. Lately, she's been asking my mom how they're doing and had the nerve to ask how big he's gotten and to show her pictures when he grows big. (It honestly makes me sick because she seems to think he'll be fine when he has permanent damage that will not only affect him his whole life but shorten it)

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran
The coworker my mom got them from said she gave them to us because she didn't want them to die. At the same time, she didn't do ANY research into what they needed in the months she had them. Lately, she's been asking my mom how they're doing and had the nerve to ask how big he's gotten and to show her pictures when he grows big. (It honestly makes me sick because she seems to think he'll be fine when he has permanent damage that will not only affect him his whole life but shorten it)
its so sad. at least she’s checking in. But I’m suprised they were not already dead if she had them for months

Zukarin

Hatchling Dragon
Update: I'm worried about Mako. His beard is drooping. I looked it up, and the possible reasons (heart and kidney disease or parasites) concerns me.
Yesterday, I asked my mom to feed him while I was out, and she, without knowing, gave him spinach. Also, he's shedding.
Could that have something to do with it?
IMG_20210313_122959829.jpg

Zukarin

Hatchling Dragon
Update: The beard drooping went away, but his abdomen is swollen. I talked to a vet through vet triage online, and he said, since his appetite and energy is fine, Mako can wait till Monday unless anything changes. Tomorrow, I'll get him an appointment (for tests/x-rays) for somewhere asap.

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Honestly what it could be is him storing extra food in his beard. I find that rescues do this more often because they know what it's like to be starving so even after they are rescued they still keep this habit worried that they will starve again. Both Cleo and Prometheus still do this even though both of them get food everyday. It definitely is good news that it went away but still I implore you to take him to the vet and do all the tests you'd like. The one thing I do want to let you know, you can still do it by all means, but x-rays can be pointless to get for bearded dragons. My vet was actually the one that told me this because they are so small (especially in Mako's case) x-rays usually can't tell you anything except for the state of their bones. Best thing to do to check for anything is blood test (make sure you ask for a full panel one) and a stool sample which you can bring yourself if it a poop from the same day as his vet appointment (it has to be fresh). Hope I was able to help and calm some of your nerves. :)