• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Advice for caring for horribly neglected babies.

Zukarin

Hatchling Dragon
My mom's coworker got a couple baby Beardies and never gave them any light (heat or uv). We took them, and they look really bad. A vet gave us calcium supplement since we want to try to raise them(0.01 ml everyday twice a day). On top of that, we bought some food (tiny crickets, freeze dried roaches, and duck/sweet potatoe cat food)
Goblin:
IMG_20210217_182503754.jpg
IMG_20210217_182523049.jpg

I'm worried about his eye since it's always cracked. I think it has something on it which I don't know if I should remove or not. Also, he's in a constant sleeping state. He barely moves. He's very flaccid. I don't know if he'll eat anything without being force fed.
Mako:
IMG_20210217_182510816_HDR.jpg

He is shaking but also gaping and moving around. I haven't tried feeding him, but I have high hopes for him.

My question:
Is there anything I can do for them beyond just feeding them what I have?
What should I do Goblins eye?

Any advice welcomed.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My mom's coworker got a couple baby Beardies and never gave them any light (heat or uv). We took them, and they look really bad. A vet gave us calcium supplement since we want to try to raise them(0.01 ml everyday twice a day). On top of that, we bought some food (tiny crickets, freeze dried roaches, and duck/sweet potatoe cat food)
Goblin:
View attachment 25891View attachment 25892
I'm worried about his eye since it's always cracked. I think it has something on it which I don't know if I should remove or not. Also, he's in a constant sleeping state. He barely moves. He's very flaccid. I don't know if he'll eat anything without being force fed.
Mako:
View attachment 25893
He is shaking but also gaping and moving around. I haven't tried feeding him, but I have high hopes for him.

My question:
Is there anything I can do for them beyond just feeding them what I have?
What should I do Goblins eye?

Any advice welcomed.
They dont look the greatest --- you need to have really good UVB which is a long tube fixture NO coils and correct basking temps - taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- they would do better being separated in small hospital tanks like this they are plastic totes -- are they eating on their own? they are going to get better and thrive w/ them being separated --- if you need help w/ the UVB please ask I will get a link posted for you to get them - you will need two of them -- dragons cannot be kept together -- right now would be ok but as they get older and start to thrive one will not do so good if they are together

Attachments

• Hospital tank.jpg
    Hospital tank.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 47

Zukarin

Hatchling Dragon
They dont look the greatest --- you need to have really good UVB which is a long tube fixture NO coils and correct basking temps - taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- they would do better being separated in small hospital tanks like this they are plastic totes -- are they eating on their own? they are going to get better and thrive w/ them being separated --- if you need help w/ the UVB please ask I will get a link posted for you to get them - you will need two of them -- dragons cannot be kept together -- right now would be ok but as they get older and start to thrive one will not do so good if they are together
Thank you! I'll do what I can. I have a T8 and a T5. I'll be giving the T8 to my older Beardie, and the T5 to them till I can can set up another tank.

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Those poor babies and Goblin is just breaking my heart. I really hope that he pulls through and as long as he's getting something in his belly thats good to hear, once he gets some more energy hopefully he gets to eat on his own. Maybe try to give him some organic butternut squash baby food with either some liquid or powdered calcium in it to help stop the mbd from spreading anymore. Please do keep us updated, I hope both these little guys pull through and get better :(

Zukarin

Hatchling Dragon
It'll depend in a few days if I seperate them. Goblin, while trying hard to lick baby food, looks like he won't make it... My mom and I still want to see what'll happen, but I don't want to seperate them if Goblin doesn't improve.

Zukarin

Hatchling Dragon
Those poor babies and Goblin is just breaking my heart. I really hope that he pulls through and as long as he's getting something in his belly thats good to hear, once he gets some more energy hopefully he gets to eat on his own. Maybe try to give him some organic butternut squash baby food with either some liquid or powdered calcium in it to help stop the mbd from spreading anymore. Please do keep us updated, I hope both these little guys pull through and get better :(
I gave them both some pear, carrot, and blueberry organic baby food. Mako is eating like a champ: a lot of baby food and 14 crickets! Goblin is trying so hard to lick food, but isn't eating much... I gave him some water, too.
Honestly, I'm hoping for the best considering he has made it this far. My mom is a nurse, and she was planning on some physical therapy, too, for his weak little legs.
(It's a rollercoaster of emotion with him)

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It'll depend in a few days if I seperate them. Goblin, while trying hard to lick baby food, looks like he won't make it... My mom and I still want to see what'll happen, but I don't want to seperate them if Goblin doesn't improve.
Please post a pic of goblins eye-- make sure your hydrating him offer water on his nose see if he will lick he maybe to weak to eat you may haft to force feed w/ syringe- water it down he will get hydration from that feed very slow you don't want him to aspirate-

Zukarin

Hatchling Dragon
Please post a pic of goblins eye-- make sure your hydrating him offer water on his nose see if he will lick he maybe to weak to eat you may haft to force feed w/ syringe- water it down he will get hydration from that feed very slow you don't want him to aspirate-
Goblin had some water a little while ago. I put in on his lip with a syringe, and he drank it.
This is the eye:
IMG_20210217_224443079.jpg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Goblin had some water a little while ago. I put in on his lip with a syringe, and he drank it.
This is the eye:
View attachment 25895
You can rinse the eye w/ some regular saline solution NO contact lenses stuff --- was he on sand when you got him? Try that - first see if it helps - you can also use some raw unpasteurized honey like Manuka - take a Q tip and dap around the eye - possible cricket bite? Its hard to say -- we know its not a lighting cause cuz you said he had no lights or heat when you got him correct? Just make sure there are no crickets left in the tank or they will go straight for his eye

Zukarin

Hatchling Dragon
You can rinse the eye w/ some regular saline solution NO contact lenses stuff --- was he on sand when you got him? Try that - first see if it helps - you can also use some raw unpasteurized honey like Manuka - take a Q tip and dap around the eye - possible cricket bite? Its hard to say -- we know its not a lighting cause cuz you said he had no lights or heat when you got him correct? Just make sure there are no crickets left in the tank or they will go straight for his eye
I’ll look for if there’s any saline solution around my house, but, until then, my mom wants to get some today while she’s at work and help the eye tomorrow.
It couldn’t have been a cricket bite or sand in the eye since he was on a mat and only fed a couple meal worms (If he ate that is— the lady who neglected them never handled them, she told my mom that they freaked her out and told me she was afraid of them. She got them for her 4 and 8 year old, so I guess she expected little children to take care of them??)

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I’ll look for if there’s any saline solution around my house, but, until then, my mom wants to get some today while she’s at work and help the eye tomorrow.
It couldn’t have been a cricket bite or sand in the eye since he was on a mat and only fed a couple meal worms (If he ate that is— the lady who neglected them never handled them, she told my mom that they freaked her out and told me she was afraid of them. She got them for her 4 and 8 year old, so I guess she expected little children to take care of them??)
Holy cow! I am loss for words- these dragons are not children's pets they are too complex- I am hoping goblin pulls thru- w/ the correct UVB and basking temps and TLC he may pull thru- please keep me posted- I would add a pinch of calcium powder to his feeding

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Holy cow! I am loss for words- these dragons are not children's pets they are too complex- I am hoping goblin pulls thru- w/ the correct UVB and basking temps and TLC he may pull thru- please keep me posted- I would add a pinch of calcium powder to his feeding
100% do the calcium they need that to get there bones back on track. They probably did not have uvb so make sure you do that. Poor things.

Zukarin

Hatchling Dragon
I checked the organic baby foods at my grocery store to get to one with a lot of calcium. I’ll add some calcium supplement to that.
Also please make sure you keep us updates lol. I would love to see all of these guys pull though
Right now, they’re sleeping, lol. I did check them, though, and they seem to be doing better. Mako is sleeping like a healthy beardie, and Goblin, while not in a deep sleep, wiggled around when I checked him (which, to my knowledge, is good since, yesterday, he only moved when his legs dangled or he accidentally tumbled.)

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I checked the organic baby foods at my grocery store to get to one with a lot of calcium. I’ll add some calcium supplement to that.

Right now, they’re sleeping, lol. I did check them, though, and they seem to be doing better. Mako is sleeping like a healthy beardie, and Goblin, while not in a deep sleep, wiggled around when I checked him (which, to my knowledge, is good since, yesterday, he only moved when his legs dangled or he accidentally tumbled.)
Good sleeping well is a good sign and it sounds like they are starting to Improve. And can I just say thank you. I really like people he take animals in and care for them. The reptiles hobbie can be difficult some times and it’s thanks to people like you that animals get good care. Way to many people inpulse buy all sorts of animals and don’t know how to care. They asume that the petamart employee who joined ten minutes ago and spent 5 minutes reading the (care) info on the card or exsperts so thank you so much. I am so happy I joined this site I have already spent gotten so much info and got to listen people’s amazing stories like this one thanks

Zukarin

Hatchling Dragon
Good sleeping well is a good sign and it sounds like they are starting to Improve. And can I just say thank you. I really like people he take animals in and care for them. The reptiles hobbie can be difficult some times and it’s thanks to people like you that animals get good care. Way to many people inpulse buy all sorts of animals and don’t know how to care. They asume that the petamart employee who joined ten minutes ago and spent 5 minutes reading the (care) info on the card or exsperts so thank you so much. I am so happy I joined this site I have already spent gotten so much info and got to listen people’s amazing stories like this one thanks
Thank you for that. I appreciate that. :)
It really hurts to know the misinformation/lack of information about pets, especially reptiles.

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
If you can get Goblin some critical care that may be helpful too. I know you can get some on Amazon just mix some of the carnivore and herbivore one together and syringe feed it to him. Because he’s a baby do around 80% carnivore and 20% herbivore. Maybe even do a couple feedings of just the carnivore one. Organic butternut squash baby food is really good for them too and it will help keep them hydrated. Maybe try an electrolyte bath for him too they sell one especially for reptiles. I’m glad he is eating and moving a bit better.

Zukarin

Hatchling Dragon
If you can get Goblin some critical care that may be helpful too. I know you can get some on Amazon just mix some of the carnivore and herbivore one together and syringe feed it to him. Because he’s a baby do around 80% carnivore and 20% herbivore. Maybe even do a couple feedings of just the carnivore one. Organic butternut squash baby food is really good for them too and it will help keep them hydrated. Maybe try an electrolyte bath for him too they sell one especially for reptiles. I’m glad he is eating and moving a bit better.
Thank you! I'll make sure to order some critical care, go out today and get some butternut squash baby food too, and give them baths. (Water will also be a good place to begin physical therapy for them)