• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Adoption Advice Please

NewbieBeardieKeeper

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi Everybody

I'm new to forum and new to beardie keeping. We're adopting an adult (3ish) - me and my young teen son.
We are also "adopting" his enclosure (4ft), lamps, basking branch thing, hammock, lamps............
We have been researching "how to tell if healthy", "what to feed, how often", "enclosure contents, setup, needs", "bathing- how often, how etc.",general healthy, happy beardie things to ensure ready for commitment of and prepared to care for ... these forums are awesome!!
Thankfully he looks healthy, his enclosure is a good size&setup and we'll have details about usual diet etc.

Any change is stressful. I've read about getting temperatures right and keeping an eye on poo\general appearance until hopefully dragon settles in. I'm hoping keeping his same enclosure will make this easier on beardie.

Here's what we have read but hoping for more info\advice about bringing him home:
1. We have a carrier (used for rats in past) - I will ensure its clean
2. Ensure he is warm\not too warm in carrier (Nov in Ontario, CA) for the drive (we have an hour in the car). Thinking maybe a hot\cold pack thickly wrapped under the carrier?.. we'll have heat on in the car....
3. Heat & light important for digesting food so don't feed him day of move
4. Give him time before we handle more than necessary
5. Don't change up his enclosure now unless safety issue

Do you have any advice or ideas to help ?
I'll keep poking through threads but really my question is about the "move day" right now though I'm sure we will have more questions :) thanks everybody

JumpinJellyfish

Juvenile Dragon
The heating pad wrapped in or under the carrier should be fine. Since you're inheriting his setup, I agree with keeping it as same as possible for now. See if you can find out how old the UVB (tube preferably, and not coil) is, in case it's time to replace that. Don't wait too long to handle, but yes, give a day or two for him to settle in. Expect a bit of relocation stress, and don't let that freak you out. :0)
Congrats on the new addition to your family!