• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A week old baby beardie!

DrewAndJess

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi everyone! Charmander came home yesterday from Petco (1/03) and we just joined the beardie community to stay in touch with other reptile owners. We aren't sure of the gender yet, hopefully, we'll find that out later down the line. Right now Charmander is experiencing some relocation stress, so we've given Charmander some alone time.

Nice to meet everyone!
Jess

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 35

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi everyone! Charmander came home yesterday from Petco (1/03) and we just joined the beardie community to stay in touch with other reptile owners. We aren't sure of the gender yet, hopefully, we'll find that out later down the line. Right now Charmander is experiencing some relocation stress, so we've given Charmander some alone time.

Nice to meet everyone!
Jess
Welcome to the forum-- did you buy a "kit" from Petco?

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hi Sadie, no, I went with the 40-gallon tank. Do you think that might be too big for Charmander? This is the full view of it (attached)
My Dex has been in a 40 gallon tank since he was a wee, tiny baby and has never had any issues with the space. I did have to mount is UV light under his screen and raise his basking rock up until he was big enough, though. :) I think Sadie was asking about the lighting and such that pet stores try to sell you as a starter kit.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi Sadie, no, I went with the 40-gallon tank. Do you think that might be too big for Charmander? This is the full view of it (attached)
What are you using for a UVB? No coils --- and basking temps need to be taken w / a digital probe thermometer-- that tank is pretty big for a week old baby -- usually pet stores sell them around 2-3 months --- I would maybe partition it off -- cut it in half for now --- basking temps you want them at 105-110 -- and a UVB your gonna want a 24" fixture w/ a reflector --- I would use the 5.0 bulb that comes w/ the fixture for now -- its gonna be more like a T 8 but your going to need the UVB unobstructed and the basking decor 6-8 inches directly below it --- when you open the tank up to the full 40 gallon then you would need to change that 5.0 out for a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 --- distance and placement would change a that point as well

DrewAndJess

Bearded Dragon Egg
My Dex has been in a 40 gallon tank since he was a wee, tiny baby and has never had any issues with the space. I did have to mount is UV light under his screen and raise his basking rock up until he was big enough, though. :) I think Sadie was asking about the lighting and such that pet stores try to sell you as a starter kit.
Ah I see! The lighting was all purchased separately-- we did 150w (basking day light), 100w (basking night light), and an 18" UV light. I think I might raise the basking rock up as well. Charmander spends way too much time on the rock and I don't think it's on the right temperature for him.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ah I see! The lighting was all purchased separately-- we did 150w (basking day light), 100w (basking night light), and an 18" UV light. I think I might raise the basking rock up as well. Charmander spends way too much time on the rock and I don't think it's on the right temperature for him.
Please get rid of the night light --- dragons need cool and dark -- 65-75 temps - those can be taken w/ the stick ons but you want a digital probe thermometer --- if you cut that tank in half your basking temps are going to get too hot for a smaller space ---- so going to a 40 to a 20 gallon you will probably need a 75 watt bulb --- just make sure you have the digital probe to get that temp

DrewAndJess

Bearded Dragon Egg
What are you using for a UVB? No coils --- and basking temps need to be taken w / a digital probe thermometer-- that tank is pretty big for a week old baby -- usually pet stores sell them around 2-3 months --- I would maybe partition it off -- cut it in half for now --- basking temps you want them at 105-110 -- and a UVB your gonna want a 24" fixture w/ a reflector --- I would use the 5.0 bulb that comes w/ the fixture for now -- its gonna be more like a T 8 but your going to need the UVB unobstructed and the basking decor 6-8 inches directly below it --- when you open the tank up to the full 40 gallon then you would need to change that 5.0 out for a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 --- distance and placement would change a that point as well
Thanks for the heads up! How could we make the tank smaller for Charmander?

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Yeah, Dex did that for a bit until peeps here got me all set up properly. :) I just found some flat rocks from outside and soaked them in bleach and then baked them in the oven for a bit and hoisted his rock up with them. He wasn't really climbing on them, but I wanted anything on them to be dead. Once he got big enough, I was able to throw them back outside. Keep checking the temp with a digital thermometer until you get the right height. :)

DrewAndJess

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yeah, Dex did that for a bit until peeps here got me all set up properly. :) I just found some flat rocks from outside and soaked them in bleach and then baked them in the oven for a bit and hoisted his rock up with them. He wasn't really climbing on them, but I wanted anything on them to be dead. Once he got big enough, I was able to throw them back outside. Keep checking the temp with a digital thermometer until you get the right height. :)
Thanks! I'll pick up a digital thermometer today. Did you have a night light? I have him in my home office and it gets pretty cold in there. Usually between 65-70 degrees-- is the dimmer 100w light too much? I turn off the basking 150w and the UV light at night.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks for the heads up! How could we make the tank smaller for Charmander?
Partition it off w/ cardboard etc--- particle board --- just make sure your taking basking temps -- you dont want to burn him up--- the T 8 you have is fine just make sure you have the proper distance I posted in my earlier post -- NO clear plastic cover over the bulb --- take it off -- what brand are you using a Reptisun or a Zilla or a Thrive --- you want a Reptisun bulb --- the Zilla fixture will take it -- the thrive if its a long tube fixture it will take it as well -- that Reptisun bulb is a much better bulb ---

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thanks! I'll pick up a digital thermometer today. Did you have a night light? I have him in my home office and it gets pretty cold in there. Usually between 65-70 degrees-- is the dimmer 100w light too much? I turn off the basking 150w and the UV light at night.
Digital thermometer is a god send for babies. :) Well, and adults I guess. Now that I have everything set up I only need to check it every other day. No night lights. Beardies don't require them and it's better for them to not have any lights on at night. 65-70 is fine for a night time temp. You don't want to go any lower though.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
All lights should go off at nite -- if the tank is between 65-75 your good --- nothing below 60-- if you can use the dimmer to get temps for basking 105-110 thats good -- just make sure you place the digital probe on the spot where he sits to bask to get the temp 10 minutes or so

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Digital thermometer is a god send for babies. :) Well, and adults I guess. Now that I have everything set up I only need to check it every other day. No night lights. Beardies don't require them and it's better for them to not have any lights on at night. 65-70 is fine for a night time temp. You don't want to go any lower though.
If you're concerned about night temps you might think about getting a CHE (ceramic heat emitter). I bought one, but so far haven't had to use it but once or twice.

DrewAndJess

Bearded Dragon Egg
Partition it off w/ cardboard etc--- particle board --- just make sure your taking basking temps -- you dont want to burn him up--- the T 8 you have is fine just make sure you have the proper distance I posted in my earlier post -- NO clear plastic cover over the bulb --- take it off -- what brand are you using a Reptisun or a Zilla or a Thrive --- you want a Reptisun bulb --- the Zilla fixture will take it -- the thrive if its a long tube fixture it will take it as well -- that Reptisun bulb is a much better bulb ---
Yep! We have the Repti Basking Spot Light 150w-- how long should I keep it on for? I turned it off, along with the UV light, at 10 pm last night and I turned it on this morning at 8 am.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yep! We have the Repti Basking Spot Light 150w-- how long should I keep it on for? I turned it off, along with the UV light, at 10 pm last night and I turned it on this morning at 8 am.
Photo period 12 hrs on and 12 hrs off -- do not feed less than 2 hrs before lights off they need time to start digestion -- the UVB is what brand and bulb --- the 150 is going to be too much for a small space if you cut the tank in half --- please adjust the basking temps accordingly -- 105-110

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I think it varies according to season. What I've been told anyways. lol Summer I keep his lights on for about 14 hours. Now that it's winter here I only keep his lights on for about 12 hours. Sometimes I turn them off a little early if he's put himself to bed. Experts can give you a better idea.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I think it varies according to season. What I've been told anyways. lol Summer I keep his lights on for about 14 hours. Now that it's winter here I only keep his lights on for about 12 hours. Sometimes I turn them off a little early if he's put himself to bed. Experts can give you a better idea.
In brumation it is ok to shut them off earlier but normal photo period is 12 hrs on and 12 hrs off

TinySmaugOfficial

Hatchling Dragon

Nice to meet everyone!
Jess
He’s adorable!! So tiny! Make sure the crickets your feeding him aren’t too big. i think you got the lighting right.