• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A new kind of lazy...

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
45DB74D0-4837-4377-BF85-D195C4D5107F.jpeg

So my beardie steffern usually crawls out of her hide when her lights come on and she usually is upright head up and not being a lazy slob, any of your guys/gals beardies ever bask like this?
9D626DF7-69ED-4222-B543-3C3448AE72A6.jpeg

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
aww she is beaut

aww she is beautiful !!
Thank you, i mean no disrespect towards you by asking but do you think you’ll ever get another scaley baby ? I hope im not being insensitive, I know zontar was very special To you, ive always liked lizards i never knew i could grow to love one.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
View attachment 26352
So my beardie steffern usually crawls out of her hide when her lights come on and she usually is upright head up and not being a lazy slob, any of your guys/gals beardies ever bask like this? View attachment 26353
She's such a beauty! My guy will bask all sprawled out and lazy looking like that sometimes. Other times he'll bask all alert with his head up looking like he's ready to zoom. lol Other times he'll lay on his hammock with his back legs and tail hanging over the edge and dragging down and his front legs spread in front of him. It's hysterical to see and can't be as comfortable as he's making it out to be. hahahahaha

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
She's such a beauty! My guy will bask all sprawled out and lazy looking like that sometimes. Other times he'll bask all alert with his head up looking like he's ready to zoom. lol Other times he'll lay on his hammock with his back legs and tail hanging over the edge and dragging down and his front legs spread in front of him. It's hysterical to see and can't be as comfortable as he's making it out to be. hahahahaha
I love dex, i like the bat poop crazy look he has in his eyes, steffern only gets crazy around hornworms the lil pig..

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I love dex, i like the bat poop crazy look he has in his eyes, steffern only gets crazy around hornworms the lil pig..
hahahaha, I'm fated to have bat poop crazy animals, I think. It's my curse. The only semi-normal acting one is the dog and he has his moments. He's bred for brawn not brain and we do call him our special needs often. The wild and crazy ones are attracted to me. lol Even Jango morphs into a demon with teeth and claws. He definitely has a split personality. See, my curse. hahahaha

Zontar’s Mom

Juvenile Dragon
Thank you, i mean no disrespect towards you by asking but do you think you’ll ever get another scaley baby ? I hope im not being insensitive, I know zontar was very special To you, ive always liked lizards i never knew i could grow to love one.
Unsure but if I do I prefer an adult beardie...not babies cuz I would be scared to handle such tiny and fragicreatures

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Unsure but if I do I prefer an adult beardie...not babies cuz I would be scared to handle such tiny and fragicreatures
Yeah, I hear you. When Dex was a baby I was terrified I'd squish him. Now that he's bigger I can haul the big lug around without too much worry. lol He still prefers to be pick up a certain way, but once I have him he usually lays along the length of my arm and chills til we get where we're going. Then he wants down to explore.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Found a pick of Dex in his hammock. Didn't get one of him with his head down and his front legs straight though. You can see his sleeping spot below where he'll dig himself a little trench each night. Since this pic his clay has been replaced so it's once again all solid. He's miffed as he has to start all over. hahahaha If he'd just turn he fits all cozy on it. lol
IMG_1213.JPG

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Found a pick of Dex in his hammock. Didn't get one of him with his head down and his front legs straight though. You can see his sleeping spot below where he'll dig himself a little trench each night. Since this pic his clay has been replaced so it's once again all solid. He's miffed as he has to start all over. hahahaha If he'd just turn he fits all cozy on it. lol
Im surprised how much he destroys his clay! how long did yours take to dry would u say and did you compact it or did u leave air pockets? My girl hasn’t even scratched the surface of her clay substrate , i hear digging at night but i think thats just her getting comfortable, it never goes on longer than fifteen seconds, i want to encourage her to dig more , do you have any ideas?

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Im surprised how much he destroys his clay! how long did yours take to dry would u say and did you compact it or did u leave air pockets? My girl hasn’t even scratched the surface of her clay substrate , i hear digging at night but i think thats just her getting comfortable, it never goes on longer than fifteen seconds, i want to encourage her to dig more , do you have any ideas?
Yeah, he really digs in. It tends to come out in bigger clumps now. Most I'll put in a container (add water and ta-da), some I toss if they look like they may not be clean. I do noticed that the more water I add the more hard and solid it is. Now that he's older I tend to mix enough water to make it look like wet soil. It clumps and sticks, but I can sift it through my fingers. Almost like damp potting soil. When he was smaller I'd wet and compact it more because I didn't want him accidentally eating any of it.

Takes a good 24 hours to dry completely using a dehumidifier and a blow dryer. Takes about 4-6 hours to dry enough so I can put him back in without worrying about humidity.

I compact it a little, but don't stomp it down. There may be air pockets. This time I did something a little different and used the clay to raise his hidey cave a little so he has more room and I made a raised platform type place with the clay for his basking. It kinda slopes up and has a flat surface with his rock. Easier for him to get up and down now that he's a little porker. lololol

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Yeah, he really digs in. It tends to come out in bigger clumps now. Most I'll put in a container (add water and ta-da), some I toss if they look like they may not be clean. I do noticed that the more water I add the more hard and solid it is. Now that he's older I tend to mix enough water to make it look like wet soil. It clumps and sticks, but I can sift it through my fingers. Almost like damp potting soil. When he was smaller I'd wet and compact it more because I didn't want him accidentally eating any of it.

Takes a good 24 hours to dry completely using a dehumidifier and a blow dryer. Takes about 4-6 hours to dry enough so I can put him back in without worrying about humidity.

I compact it a little, but don't stomp it down. There may be air pockets. This time I did something a little different and used the clay to raise his hidey cave a little so he has more room and I made a raised platform type place with the clay for his basking. It kinda slopes up and has a flat surface with his rock. Easier for him to get up and down now that he's a little porker. lololol
Here you can see the little raised basking spot. :)
IMG_1257.JPG

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club

Ahh okay,, i think where my mistake was i packed it down and put the basking bulb over the drying clay and baked it for 6 hrs x) probably will need a hammer to break it up at this point....

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Ahh okay,, i think where my mistake was i packed it down and put the basking bulb over the drying clay and baked it for 6 hrs x) probably will need a hammer to break it up at this point....
hahahaha when you get ready to change it up add a bit of water. It will make it some what soft again so you can get it out.

When Dex was a baby that's how hard I'd make it. Added more water than it required so that it didn't crumble much. Didn't want him eating any little pieces. Once I even had it so it looked like an arid desert patch. It got little hairline cracks in it as it dried so it looked like hard baked ground. Had no crumble at all (I had to fill in a few cracks as they were a little bigger and I didn't want him getting a foot stuck in them - lol) He'd scurry across it like a road runner. 'Course he wasn't digging much then. As he grew I slowly added less and less water. Now its soft enough for him to dig, but still wet enough that I can mold as I want. Doesn't take as long to dry now either.