• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

75 gallon lighting

ryano

Bearded Dragon Egg
In the process of setting up a 75 gallon for my new bearded dragon. The tank is 48" long by 18" wide and around 22" tall. I am thinking of a 150 watt mercury vapor on one side for basking and UBV. Would I need something else on the other side of tank or should I go with a completely different lighting setup?

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I think with the longer tanks most people add an additional heat light on the other side of the tank. Because the tank is high, you may need to play with different wattages and different basking spots to get the temps right.

ryano

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok. I think I will put a 100 watt Mega-Ray mercury vapor bulb on one side and an incandescent bulb on the other for heat. Do you think I should add another UVB bulb of some sort in there or should the Mega-Ray in his basking spot provide enough for him?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok. I think I will put a 100 watt Mega-Ray mercury vapor bulb on one side and an incandescent bulb on the other for heat. Do you think I should add another UVB bulb of some sort in there or should the Mega-Ray in his basking spot provide enough for him?
Don't think too much UVB is a bad thing :) just make sure you have hides for him to get away from the light/heat if he wants.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Well the usual rule of thumb is to have your UVB cover at least 2/3's of the the tank. Since MVB bulbs only concentrate the UVB to one area, I don't think it would hurt to add another one.

Javier

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Don't think too much UVB is a bad thing :) just make sure you have hides for him to get away from the light/heat if he wants.
Do the younger guys ever hide? I'm not sure my boy understands the concept. He's ALWAYS basking.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
LOL, it took mine a long time to actually go into a hide but from time to time I would find them under a leaf or something.

Javier

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
LOL, it took mine a long time to actually go into a hide but from time to time I would find them under a leaf or something.
Poor baby, I feel like my boy is clueless and then he does something that shocks me.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk