• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

6 month old dragon trying to brumate

NorthernDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi everyone,

I'm new and this is my first post. My rankins dragon is trying to brumate. I had heard it wasn't good for them if they're under a year old? This is the second time they've tried and the last time I was worried and didn't know what was happening so I woke him/her. Please can you offer some advice? Thanks:)
Hello Gemjar! It really depends what part of the region you are living at this time of year.
For example, I live in Toronto, Ontario and it has got alot colder here sooner then normal. I have a 7-8 month old beardie who has detected these cooler temps and is in semi-brumation at this time. This means he has slowed down somewhat and does not eat as much right now and prefers to hang out in his hide vs lay under his basking light. Occasionally he will come out during the week and check out whats going on, but then later goes back into his hide.
You have probably also heard that a sick beardie and a beardie trying to go into brumation can look very similar. If you can collect a stool sample and get it checked out to rule out any parasites than you would have a better idea of what is going on. It is not unheard of these days to have a young dragon go into brumation (between 7 months and 12 months old) but like I mentioned before, it really depends on the current temps in your regoin right now. Also, the set up of your enclosure can also be a factor (lights, basking temp, size of your enclosure) as well as what you are feeding? I know this can be stressful for a owner because we only want the best for our little dragons, but carefully review those things I mentioned and go from there. Also, you are never wrong by asking questions either...✌