• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

6 month old beardy has no interest in eating.

Woodsaw

Bearded Dragon Egg
My little buddy Herman has lost interest in any food I put infront of him. I've been trying new bugs and vegetables but he just turns his head in disapproval. I keep his veggies in there all day just incase he decides to nibble while I'm not looking. He's also been lethargic, going to bed earlier. I take him out of his tank every day just to get him moving around. He runs around for a bit, then finds a spot to hide. His tank is a 50 gallon. Hot side runs at about 95-100. Cold side is 65-70. I'll include some pics of his tank. Any help would be much appreciated! There is only one basking bulb in that double dome light fixture. His uvb lamp runs all the way across his tank.

Attachments

• IMG_20210828_121424948.jpg
    IMG_20210828_121424948.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 10
  • 20211016_161035.jpg
    20211016_161035.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 10
  • 20211016_161051.jpg
    20211016_161051.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 11

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My little buddy Herman has lost interest in any food I put infront of him. I've been trying new bugs and vegetables but he just turns his head in disapproval. I keep his veggies in there all day just incase he decides to nibble while I'm not looking. He's also been lethargic, going to bed earlier. I take him out of his tank every day just to get him moving around. He runs around for a bit, then finds a spot to hide. His tank is a 50 gallon. Hot side runs at about 95-100. Cold side is 65-70. I'll include some pics of his tank. Any help would be much appreciated! There is only one basking bulb in that double dome light fixture. His uvb lamp runs all the way across his tank.
Ok tank looks nice -- what is the distance from your basking light to the hammock - is he basking now or not? I see a stick on for ambient temps- do you have a digital probe thermometer? If not please get one - those are the only way to get basking temps off the hammock and the most accurate - 95-100-- the UVB your using is what bulb T 5 or a T 8? Dragons will slow down in the fall w/ the temps dropping -- so hes not eating at all ? the 65-70 temp on cold side is too low -- that is more for nite time temps - you want daytime 80's ---

Woodsaw

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok tank looks nice -- what is the distance from your basking light to the hammock - is he basking now or not? I see a stick on for ambient temps- do you have a digital probe thermometer? If not please get one - those are the only way to get basking temps off the hammock and the most accurate - 95-100-- the UVB your using is what bulb T 5 or a T 8? Dragons will slow down in the fall w/ the temps dropping -- so hes not eating at all ? the 65-70 temp on cold side is too low -- that is more for nite time temps - you want daytime 80's ---
Hi Sadie, the distance from the basking light to the hammock is 7 inches. He does bask. The uvb bulb is a T 5. Come to think of it, he did start start slowing down when the temperature started to drop. It takes a little longer for the tank to heat up after his lights turn back on. Do you think I need a higher watt basking bulb? I do have digital thermometers for his hot and cool side. I can only get him to eat a giant meal worm here and there with some accidental greens because I put them on top of his salad. It's just way less than what he was eating. The last time I took him to the vet they said I need to start feeding him bugs every other day so he starts eating more vegetables. I started doing that about 4 weeks ago. The only problem is he doesn't go for the greens unless there are bugs on them. And now he barely goes for the bugs. So I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi Sadie, the distance from the basking light to the hammock is 7 inches. He does bask. The uvb bulb is a T 5. Come to think of it, he did start start slowing down when the temperature started to drop. It takes a little longer for the tank to heat up after his lights turn back on. Do you think I need a higher watt basking bulb? I do have digital thermometers for his hot and cool side. I can only get him to eat a giant meal worm here and there with some accidental greens because I put them on top of his salad. It's just way less than what he was eating. The last time I took him to the vet they said I need to start feeding him bugs every other day so he starts eating more vegetables. I started doing that about 4 weeks ago. The only problem is he doesn't go for the greens unless there are bugs on them. And now he barely goes for the bugs. So I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.
Herman needs insects every day if he is under a year old -- get him some BSFL www.symtonbsf.com order large do not dust them -- they are high in calcium -- feed on top of your salads every morning as many as you want - they are a great staple feeder -- what are you feeding him exactly? the basking bulb at 7 inches is real close you do not want it closer than 6 inches -- how long does it take for it to heat up - mine take a while to heat up too -- the distance for your UVB should be 12-15 inches directly over the basking decor piece -

Woodsaw

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks Sadie I will order some BSFL right now. I thought it was weird my vet suggested every other day for insects. She said it's because he's already grown to adult size. Or close to it. It sounds like I need to get a taller tank so his lamps can be further up but still heat up the tank good. His uvb lamp is only a couple inches above his basking lamp. It takes about an hour and a half for the temps to get where they should be. Besides his salad I was feeding him dubia roaches for a while. He couldn't get enough of them. Then he lost interest pretty abruptly at the beginning of last month. So I tried crickets and giant meal worms. He didn't pay any attention to the crickets but he went nuts for the meal worms. Now he lost interest in those so here I am. I still try giving him dubias every once in a while but he won't go for them. I tried giving him BSFL a couple weeks ago but they were very small and he didn't really pay attention to them. For greens I give collards, kale, Alf alfa sprouts, red bell peppers, carrots, squash,etc. While trying to mix it up a bit for him.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks Sadie I will order some BSFL right now. I thought it was weird my vet suggested every other day for insects. She said it's because he's already grown to adult size. Or close to it. It sounds like I need to get a taller tank so his lamps can be further up but still heat up the tank good. His uvb lamp is only a couple inches above his basking lamp. It takes about an hour and a half for the temps to get where they should be. Besides his salad I was feeding him dubia roaches for a while. He couldn't get enough of them. Then he lost interest pretty abruptly at the beginning of last month. So I tried crickets and giant meal worms. He didn't pay any attention to the crickets but he went nuts for the meal worms. Now he lost interest in those so here I am. I still try giving him dubias every once in a while but he won't go for them. I tried giving him BSFL a couple weeks ago but they were very small and he didn't really pay attention to them. For greens I give collards, kale, Alf alfa sprouts, red bell peppers, carrots, squash,etc. While trying to mix it up a bit for him.
The T 5 is too close if it's less than 12 inches- how tall is your tank ? 16 inches?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It's 13 inches tall.
Your UVB can be strapped to the top of the tank then and I definitely would be looking to get bigger tank a 4x2x2 is what is recommended ----------- if the screen is a wide hole type put it on top and place decor piece directly over it 8-10 inches

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Your UVB can be strapped to the top of the tank then and I definitely would be looking to get bigger tank a 4x2x2 is what is recommended ----------- if the screen is a wide hole type put it on top and place decor piece directly over it 8-10 inches
I mean under the uvb