• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

55 gallon tank?

babiiqirlxx

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
i have a beardie and right now we have him in a 20 gallon. but we are getting a 55 gallon soon. im wondering if i will need to get new lights/lamps and what kind. also im thinking about switching to textured ceramic tile instead of continuing with using sand but i dont know how much of the tile i need to get .. i can post a picture of my setup if that helps :)

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If you get the 11 7/8ths tiles, they fit side by side, snugly ;)
Janie.
remember.... textured !

babiiqirlxx

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
l_67e2ac29328041fa9ba30264a8623a0b.jpg

^^ thats my beardie :) i think hes a boy and hes about 5 1/2 Months
l_cabd6c311c7a455492438ec14495928b.jpg

^^ thats our current setup

Twobeardieguy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Cute pooper you have there!! Yea I would ditch that sand! You have to look at it like this, you are putting your beardie in a litter box!! Good luck.....

babiiqirlxx

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
thnx :) but i still wanna know if i will need bigger/stronger lamps for a 55 gallon tank lol

Erskinelake

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
babiiqirlxx said:
thnx :) but i still wanna know if i will need bigger/stronger lamps for a 55 gallon tank lol

I just got my beardie a few weeks ago and have the 55 gallon tank. You'll need a Reptisun 10 UVB bulb and bulbs to create a hot and cool side. You want your beardie to be able to get at the minimum within 10" of the UVB bulb so you'll need some big branches or a shelf to get them up high enough. (Hey..they taught me well).

Hope this helps and answers the question.
Chris

babiiqirlxx

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
yeah that helps! what type of lamps do you use? like to hold the bulbs? im wondering if i need to buy the dome lamps.

Erskinelake

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I have the long strip light which holds a 36" uvb and then 3 heat bulbs. It has one bulb socket on one end and two on the other so you have a hot side and a cool side. Mine has 3 flip switches on the back so I can have on any combination of the bulbs on. I typically have on all 3 switches from 6 am to about 8 pm, then off for the night.

Here's my setup..the top of the branches on the left get Sedona up about within 8 inches of the uvb..the cactus on the right gets within about 10 inches. Sedona basks on both of those plus the bridge in the back and the low stones in the front.

3740311853_6cbcc1beb1.jpg

Erskinelake

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I guess I should have answered your other question regarding the dome lights. I certainly think you can use those to provide heated basking area's but the UVB 10 bubl is very important for the beardies health.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
First, welcome to the forum!

I'm glad to see you are getting rid of the sand. It is a controversial topic, but I think you will be much happier with tile.

The ReptiSun 10.0 tub UV light is the best on the market at this time. Make sure you get ReptiSun and not ReptiGlo. I know a lot of stores around here (maryland) do not cary ReptiSun.

Remember with lights that your temps are accurate. Depending how old your beardie is, the basking/hot side should be around 105-110F for beardies under 1 year old. And the cool side should be around 85F for all beardies. Night temps should not drop below 65F.

babiiqirlxx

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
thanks for the welcome :)
& yes im glad im getting rid of the sand too!
the bulb i had that blew out was zoo med Reptisun 10.0 uvb compact fluorescent 26W ( thats what it says on it )
is that one any good?
for the one your talking about what kind of lamp/holder would i need?

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The Reptisun you need is the Tube. Any compact/coils are just bad business. Eye issues, eating and activity issues, and Metabolic Bone Disease issues.
Stick with the tube, and none of that will ever come your way :)
make sure it is the 10.0 !
Janie.

Erskinelake

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I have the Zoo Med Combination hood..mine is 36" long so it takes the long bulb and 3 heat bulbs.

babiiqirlxx

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
what length bulb tho? sorry im kinda new to all this. im not even sure what size my hood is. it holds two bulbs on one side and one on the other if that helps

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It does allow for a tube florescent, yes ? Just take a tape measure and measure the distance between the prong holders, and you have the length needed.
Janie.