• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

DJ Beardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello, I'm new to owning bearded dragons and I've had this one for two months now. She suddenly started walking strange the other day, it looks like a limp? When I first noticed it, I was feeding her, and I thought it might have been her claws getting caught on her carpet, but as I kept watching her eat, it became more apparent that there was something wrong. Nobody saw her do anything that could injure her, she hasn't fallen or jumped or anything, but she does often climb up and down from her branch(about 6in high) where she basks often.

image2.jpg
image1.jpg

Heres some info on her care and husbandry:
She has a diet of crickets and mealworms, and I feed them to her dusted with ReptiCalcium with D3 and Rep-Cal Herptivite(an approx. 2:1 ratio, respectively). She is fed 3 times a day, given kale and collard greens in the morning before eating anything else, then is fed a few feeders, and crickets or mealworms for her other two feedings throughout the day. Her enclosure is a 20 gallon, and she has a basking area at near exact 100, the other side of her enclosure being mid-high 70s. Humidity is usually around 40-50% with her humidifier in there. The entire area is lit using an 80 watt TEKIZOO UVB lamp. She's handled daily, usually just letting her out to walk around on us and on the couch while sitting watching her. It isn't impaction, as she poops daily. Any poop or urates are cleaned as soon as they're found, and her area is kept clean.

If anyone could help me find out what's wrong with her, and whether or not its serious or she needs a vet, I would greatly appreciate it! I love her a lot, and want her happy and healthy. Thank you!

Attachments

• 1600388598070.png
    1600388598070.png
    648.1 KB · Views: 11

BeardiesForever45

Hatchling Dragon
Here are a couple troubleshooting questions for you:
1. Has she fallen or injured herself?
2. Does she just have a goofy personality?
3. Is she in prebrumation? (This can make them act strangely...)
4. Doesn't look like it, but is she shedding?
5. Do you have AWESOME UVB lighting?
6. Did you get her from a pet store where she may have poor genetics?
7. Is she a morph with special care?

I hope this has helped you :) :D

DJ Beardie

Bearded Dragon Egg

1. Not that I've noticed at all
2. I don't think that would make her suddenly limp.....
3. The weather is very warm here(SoCal)
4. She just finished shedding about a week ago
5. I have a TEKIZOO 80 watt UVB bulb
6. She was a gift, I would have to contact my neighbor who gave her to me
7. Not that I know of? I do believe she's a hypo citrus, but I don't know anything beyond that, as I'm not skilled with identifying morphs...

Thanks for the questions!

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Has she eaten any large prey items or ones with hard shells like mealworms? (Large hornworms don't count since they're juicy bois).

Tricia Ray

Bearded Dragon Egg
1. Not that I've noticed at all
2. I don't think that would make her suddenly limp.....
3. The weather is very warm here(SoCal)
4. She just finished shedding about a week ago
5. I have a TEKIZOO 80 watt UVB bulb
6. She was a gift, I would have to contact my neighbor who gave her to me
7. Not that I know of? I do believe she's a hypo citrus, but I don't know anything beyond that, as I'm not skilled with identifying morphs...

Thanks for the questions!

I dont think she needs calcium with D3 everyday.just 3 times a week.You might want to research your supplements. I personally dont feed mealworms because they can cause impaction due to their hard shells.How old is she ?for younger dragons their basking temps should be 105 to 110 and the cool side 80 to 90 .I hope this helped

DJ Beardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
I dont think she needs calcium with D3 everyday.just 3 times a week.You might want to research your supplements. I personally dont feed mealworms because they can cause impaction due to their hard shells.How old is she ?for younger dragons their basking temps should be 105 to 110 and the cool side 80 to 90 .I hope this helped
I'll try dusting her crickets less often. I just read that a recommended time frame is calcium every other day and vitamins thrice a week. Thank you!

Tricia Ray

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'll try dusting her crickets less often. I just read that a recommended time frame is calcium every other day and vitamins thrice a week. Thank you!
she needs calcium daily it is the D 3 she needs three times a week .you should always dust .they really need it.thanks for the reply .Is she any better .I know it is frustrating because they cant tell you what's wrong.Just keep watching here and you will figure it out.A vet might be able to help you .Thanks Tricia

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hello, I'm new to owning bearded dragons and I've had this one for two months now. She suddenly started walking strange the other day, it looks like a limp? When I first noticed it, I was feeding her, and I thought it might have been her claws getting caught on her carpet, but as I kept watching her eat, it became more apparent that there was something wrong. Nobody saw her do anything that could injure her, she hasn't fallen or jumped or anything, but she does often climb up and down from her branch(about 6in high) where she basks often.

View attachment 23707View attachment 23708

She has a diet of crickets and mealworms, and I feed them to her dusted with ReptiCalcium with D3 and Rep-Cal Herptivite(an approx. 2:1 ratio, respectively). She is fed 3 times a day, given kale and collard greens in the morning before eating anything else, then is fed a few feeders, and crickets or mealworms for her other two feedings throughout the day. Her enclosure is a 20 gallon, and she has a basking area at near exact 100, the other side of her enclosure being mid-high 70s. Humidity is usually around 40-50% with her humidifier in there. The entire area is lit using an 80 watt TEKIZOO UVB lamp. She's handled daily, usually just letting her out to walk around on us and on the couch while sitting watching her. It isn't impaction, as she poops daily. Any poop or urates are cleaned as soon as they're found, and her area is kept clean.

If anyone could help me find out what's wrong with her, and whether or not its serious or she needs a vet, I would greatly appreciate it! I love her a lot, and want her happy and healthy. Thank you!
Hi ok she needs proper UVB; her bones are getting brittle & spine she won’t watch or walk & getting MBD. Buy the Reptisun 10.0 T5 for UVb to cover 50-70 percent of the tank & place it in the back beginning at the hot side & the heat lamp in front of it on the hot side. They need uvb and heat together. Calcium once per day 5days a week dusted lightly on he crickets like a powdered donut but not as heavy lightly and the Herptivite the other 2days. Rite now he’s got a lot of calcium & cant absorb or digest because no proper UVB & Humidity can never be over 40 ever & the Temp should be 100-105; around 105 for his age till he turns 4mnths or so. A humidity level can never be higher than 40; this leads to all kinds of health issues mainly an upper respiratory infection. 30-40 only. Buy a digital themometer & a digital Hygometer those are the only accurate ones. Also as babies they need to be fed 4-5 tomes a day for 10min at a time u feed till they stop waiting. Only do crickets and Dubia roaches only. Meal worms are horrible for their tummy & impacts them. As babies they need tons of protein & the crickets & Dubias are the best. The greens & veggies are a must; just remove kale & do mustard & collard greens, dandelions, endives, & veggies yellow squash, butternut squash & snap peas. 2-3 of each cut in bite size pieces.

Thomas J sobczynski

Hatchling Dragon

One thing I will add is. A huge misconception about beardies is they are from the Australian outback, they don't need humidity. The desert may not see rain for years. I was told this from a very experienced reptile breader. They get water from the insects and greens they eat. Humidity can cause respiratory problems. I mist my beardie once in a while with room temperature tap water, or an occasional bath. No humidifier...

DJ Beardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Have you trimmed her nails in a while? It could be just her slipping on the floor. See how she walks on a carpet and if it looks more normal
One thing I will add is. A huge misconception about beardies is they are from the Australian outback, they don't need humidity. The desert may not see rain for years. I was told this from a very experienced reptile breader. They get water from the insects and greens they eat. Humidity can cause respiratory problems. I mist my beardie once in a while with room temperature tap water, or an occasional bath. No humidifier...
DE-humidifier, sorry, it was corrected to humidifier

DJ Beardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
she needs calcium daily it is the D 3 she needs three times a week .you should always dust .they really need it.thanks for the reply .Is she any better .I know it is frustrating because they cant tell you what's wrong.Just keep watching here and you will figure it out.A vet might be able to help you .Thanks Tricia
Thank you for being understanding. She does seem to be improving. My only issue is that I have calcium powder with D3 in it, should I buy another of the same brand, but without D3?

Tricia Ray

Bearded Dragon Egg
yes and she needs a basking temp of 105 to 110 .She needs a reptisun 10.0 T5 uvb.proper lighting is a must I would also have a vet look at her for MBD .she needs heat to digest her food .NO mealworms they cause impaction.dubia roaches would be good for her .The more you research the better.she needs to be feed at least three times a day all she will eat in 10 to 15 minutes and veggies no kale bok choy is good for picky eaters .hope this helps .Tricia

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Thank you for being understanding. She does seem to be improving. My only issue is that I have calcium powder with D3 in it, should I buy another of the same brand, but without D3?
Buy REPCAL brand calcium w/Vitamin D if you don't have the REptisun 10.0 T5; bottom line get the rite UVB asap and get theREPCAL calcium phosphorous free please.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Emilia...U need a DIGITAL Hygometer & Thermomter at all times. The humidity cannot exceed 40 prcnt ever it should be betweeen 30-40; this cause URInfection, so do incorrect temps and cold nites below 70 for an adult and below 80 for a baby and water in their ears; these are all casues. We rescue & rehome & work with vets in OC. So YES u need to monitr the temps and humidity & my temps are insane of the charts in the summer I have to raise the basking and/or lower the basking platform in the day and switch it back at nite. U have to watch the beardies mannerisms.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
And baths are twice a week minimum is a MUST; if shedding do baths more it helps with shedding and itching & Beardies need baths to soak up water, Needs to be dechlorinated water, buy reptisafe to place drops in all drinking & bathing water. Chlorine hurts them and is horrible for them. And babies need food 4-5 tomes a day dubia roaches and crickets!!

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member

DJ BEARDIE did you read what I posted??? U can give them calcium which he needs but cannot absorb it without UVB; he needs UVB ASAP. The only best & recommmend one is the reptisun 10.0 T5 to absorb vitamin D & to absorb the calcium powder for their bones and as babies lots of small dubia roaches & small crickets as he gets 3mnths and older maybe mediums. Rule of thumb is never feed bigger than the space between their eyes. Buy a Reptisun 10.0 T8 from a petstore & return it when amazon delivers the correct one. Worse case use the T8 but make sure its a 10,0. Aslo, Calcium powder is ONCE/Day only 5 times a week LIGHTLY dusted so they are LIGHTLY powdery white; he can be over calciumed and that causes issues too; but he def has MBD, he needs calcium shots. Buy the proper UVB asap and u can fix and reverse this. This Reptiusn needs replacing every 6mtnhs by the way. Many people over calcium like a bowl of powder which is a big NONO.