• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

4 month old beardie suddenly hiding more

Angelvamp41

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello! I am new to posting on this site but a long time viewer. I am also a new beardie owner so I am still getting the hang of these adorable guys and their behavior. My beardie named reign is about 4 months old and do get him almost 2 months ago. He unfortunately was an impluse buy buy since then I have done extensive reading on proper care for him so he does not get sick. Everything is going good except this last week he has been laying fully in his stone hide and getting really dark while in there. His temp gradient is 80-85 on his cool side, 91-95 ambient on his hot side with a basking temp 105-110 with a 100w basking bulb and a cool side lamp that gets turned on to help keep gradent only since I live in the Pacific NW so our summers sit at about 70-90 depending on the year. He is eating normal, 15-25 crickets a feeding with about 20 Phoenix worms twice a day. His salad right now consist of collards and mustard greens which he loves. I've been slowly introducing him to other veggies that are on the approved list. He is also pooping every day in the morning. Yesterday he pooped 3 times but we soaked him because his tail is shedding and I clean it as soon as I see it. He is on newspaper substrate since he is under 18 months old. He is in a room that is closest to the road (I live in an apartment) and was stressed about the window but I have since blocked that and he has calmed down but still hiding. I would put him in the living room with me but I have 2 cats and a dog that love to stare at him so I keep him in an area that I can block them from entering and we have not reached cohabitation in the sense of everyone use to everyone. As I said I am new so I do not know if this is just normal beadie behavior or if I need to be worried or if he might be bored or lonely. Any advice would be great thank you!
Edit: he does not hide all day and still basks but this morning he went straight for his hide after lights on. When we took him out he seemed fine and he is alert, active, curious and eating.

Angelvamp41

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello! I am new to posting on this site but a long time viewer. I am also a new beardie owner so I am still getting the hang of these adorable guys and their behavior. My beardie named reign is about 4 months old and do get him almost 2 months ago. He unfortunately was an impluse buy buy since then I have done extensive reading on proper care for him so he does not get sick. Everything is going good except this last week he has been laying fully in his stone hide and getting really dark while in there. His temp gradient is 80-85 on his cool side, 91-95 ambient on his hot side with a basking temp 105-110 with a 100w basking bulb and a cool side lamp that gets turned on to help keep gradent only since I live in the Pacific NW so our summers sit at about 70-90 depending on the year. He is eating normal, 15-25 crickets a feeding with about 20 Phoenix worms twice a day. His salad right now consist of collards and mustard greens which he loves. I've been slowly introducing him to other veggies that are on the approved list. He is also pooping every day in the morning. Yesterday he pooped 3 times but we soaked him because his tail is shedding and I clean it as soon as I see it. He is on newspaper substrate since he is under 18 months old. He is in a room that is closest to the road (I live in an apartment) and was stressed about the window but I have since blocked that and he has calmed down but still hiding. I would put him in the living room with me but I have 2 cats and a dog that love to stare at him so I keep him in an area that I can block them from entering and we have not reached cohabitation in the sense of everyone use to everyone. As I said I am new so I do not know if this is just normal beadie behavior or if I need to be worried or if he might be bored or lonely. Any advice would be great thank you!
Edit: he does not hide all day and still basks but this morning he went straight for his hide after lights on. When we took him out he seemed fine and he is alert, active, curious and eating.
I forgot to mention he has a uvb bulb repti sun t8 inside of his enclosure he can get waiting 6" of the light and it is on from 6am to 9pm. He also has a feeding tank that also has a uvb bulb t8 no screen blocking while he eats. So the only time he does not get uvb is when he is out for no more than an hour to hang out with me while my animals are out away for his safety

David Daniels

Hatchling Dragon
I forgot to mention he has a uvb bulb repti sun t8 inside of his enclosure he can get waiting 6" of the light and it is on from 6am to 9pm. He also has a feeding tank that also has a uvb bulb t8 no screen blocking while he eats. So the only time he does not get uvb is when he is out for no more than an hour to hang out with me while my animals are out away for his safety
You said he is shedding? That could be it! My beardie gets very lethargic and like to hide when she sheds. I know every bearded dragon has their own personality. Your setup sounds spot on. What is the substrate being used for the tank though? Its not sand is it? Also, I recommend doing a 12 hour cycle, so like 6am- 6pm, or 9am - 9pm. Its a universally accepted practice for our little buddies. IM guessing you have a water bowl in the living area as well?

Angelvamp41

Bearded Dragon Egg
You said he is shedding? That could be it! My beardie gets very lethargic and like to hide when she sheds. I know every bearded dragon has their own personality. Your setup sounds spot on. What is the substrate being used for the tank though? Its not sand is it? Also, I recommend doing a 12 hour cycle, so like 6am- 6pm, or 9am - 9pm. Its a universally accepted practice for our little buddies. IM guessing you have a water bowl in the living area as well?
I am using newspaper as the substrate as I have read the horrors of sand. Yes I have a water bowl that he drinks out of on his own accord. He seems to like his light time and throws a small fit when it turns off at 9 he is also up before it turns on at six. I have been trying to follow the natural light cycle of summer but I can try to pull it back some maybe he is getting to much uvb and is hiding from it or needs more sleep. He also did a shed 2 times before and did not hide while he did it. But I presume that could change as he gets older