• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

4 month old bearded dragon seems impacted

Kellyf1958

Bearded Dragon Egg
I noticed he wasn’t going to the bathroom regularly. I started giving him baths regularly, massaging his belly, I have tried baby pears, prune juice, olive oil, baby prunes, and pumpkin. I can’t get him to take enough of any of it to help. A few licks here and a few lick there. Once he did pass a very small poop but that was days ago and he hasn’t gone anymore. I’m worried about him. He lays in his basking light with his head down a lot. However he has plenty of energy in the bath and otherwise. He doesn’t really enjoy his baths he just wants out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I would find an exotic vet. Dio was like that around the same age. When he pooped it was massive. The vet gave us a solution that regulated him and he goes daily and has ever since.

Jrmcearl

Bearded Dragon Egg
And he’s eating? Just not pooping? Is he on substrate? Whats his normal bug diet? Ive fed water melon before and found thats helped move stool along.
He was eating. He isn’t eating much now. I’ve read to give him purée only while he is impacted. So I’m not sure what to do now. He’s active and seems ok. Just still isn’t pooping and the vet said give him a drip of mineral oil a day. Give him baths daily and take him outside to get Uv rays. So I’m continuing to do that. Nothing yet though

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I noticed he wasn’t going to the bathroom regularly. I started giving him baths regularly, massaging his belly, I have tried baby pears, prune juice, olive oil, baby prunes, and pumpkin. I can’t get him to take enough of any of it to help. A few licks here and a few lick there. Once he did pass a very small poop but that was days ago and he hasn’t gone anymore. I’m worried about him. He lays in his basking light with his head down a lot. However he has plenty of energy in the bath and otherwise. He doesn’t really enjoy his baths he just wants out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Hi; we rescue and rehome. 1st of all are U using a red, blue, black, or coiled bulb? If so remove it ASAP. Colored and coiled bulbs are horrible for a Beardies eyes. Maybe that’s why his head is down; bulb is incorrect or not hot enuff, temp for a Beardie 8mnth old should be 95-97, they like it at this temp when they are older & hotter (100-105) if they are babies to 6Mnths old. Buy the zoomed Clear basking bulb for heat & the long tubular Reptisun 10.0 T5 for UVB and replace the Uvb a every “6” mnths religiously. And u need a hideaway to hide under & get away from the uvb as needed. Also, a Beardie needs proper heat to poop & the poop needs to be firm and solid with white urate which is the urine. Get A digital thermometer those are the only accurate ones & place the probe on the basking platform and an infrared gun from home Depot u shine it an inch away from the basking spot to see that temp is accurate. He doesn’t necessarily need to poop every day. If you are feeding mealworms thats an issue; cuz it impacts them; please stop feeding him those asap & never ever feed bottled food/pellets; they are the worst for their tummy’s. Best proteins are crickets & Dubia roaches for Beardies. Make sure they are dusted lightly with calcium powder (Repcal) from petco & sprinkle the calcium 3times per week once per day only my the feeders or veggies & Herptivite once per week/day on a noncalcium day. When they are almost 1.5 years old u can incorporate superworms as treats and a few hornworms. And everyday a fresh plate of greens AND veggies; he needs both and some fruits 2-3 times a week. The best everyday greens are: mustard greens, dandelions, collard greens; the love mustard greens and Add 2-3 veggies as well the best ones are yellow squash it has lots of calcium which they need, butternut squash, green beans & snap peas. U can do some red bell peppers too once in a while. Fruits; blueberries, mangoes & papaya. Baths; maybe the water is too warm/too hot; make sure it’s lukewarm which is very lightly warm. You should do baths 2 times per week in lukewarm dechlorinated water for 15min minimum & more when he’s shedding to help the skin fall off, relieve itching & prevent skin rot; then pay him dry with a soft cloth and place immediately under the heat lamp. When he is shedding do more baths. Chlorine dries their skin so buy Reptisafe they are drops u olace in the bath and drinking water that removes the chlorine if u don’t have a filter system in the home. Beardies love to look at greenery, u can have the enclosure look out a window making sure blinds are turned away and sun isn’t beating their the window onto the enclosure and the other side to watch tv that’s what mine do; they love to watch tv so turn it on for him all day; mellow shows they don’t like violence; friends, I love Raymond & cartoons they love it. Also let him out 30min to an hour per day To run around a bit inside the home monitored of course and in the summer when it’s hot, take him outside; let him sit on you or next to you propped up on a soft cloth, to get some UVB rays from the sun and they love looking at all the greenery in the yard. U can also get him a hammock ( which they love) & place it behind the basking spot it serves as a secondary less warm area to lounge especially in the hot summer months and get him soft pillows to prop up on they like to be perched and fleece blankets. Many owners don’t think to do this for a Beardie but yet we sleep on blankets & pillows; animals are no different & need what we need. Here are some photos of mine. GLUCK

Attachments

• DBF5F6C6-E1C4-4C4C-91FD-776361BFF319.jpeg
    DBF5F6C6-E1C4-4C4C-91FD-776361BFF319.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • 691E3B45-92A0-4BDF-9C24-D053A8A62013.jpeg
    691E3B45-92A0-4BDF-9C24-D053A8A62013.jpeg
    748.4 KB · Views: 2

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I would find an exotic vet. Dio was like that around the same age. When he pooped it was massive. The vet gave us a solution that regulated him and he goes daily and has ever since.
A Beardie does not need to poop daily. enervyvother day or every few days is fine. They cannot be fed mealworms that impacts them and they need proper veggies/greens plate daily and switched out half way Thru the day when it gets wilted. Also the heat temp needs to be accurate zoomed clear basking bulb is the Best and Uvb ( Reptisun 10.0 T5) changed out every 6mntjs otherwise it does. It provides Uvb

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
He was eating. He isn’t eating much now. I’ve read to give him purée only while he is impacted. So I’m not sure what to do now. He’s active and seems ok. Just still isn’t pooping and the vet said give him a drip of mineral oil a day. Give him baths daily and take him outside to get Uv rays. So I’m continuing to do that. Nothing yet though
Do U have a sand substrate??? If so remove it ASAP they ingest it; use paper towels or white terry cloth towels and NO mealworms. Also u Need a Uvb Reptisun 10.0’T5 for UVB and a clear basking bulb for heat ( zoomed basking bulb) Please read my in-depth post I posted to you. In the summer u keep both the Uvb and heat lamp on for 12-14 hours more like 14 and in the winter both lights on for 10-12 hours lore like 10; because they have less energy on the winter months. A Beardie can go maximum one day without UVB, he will get MBD, be unable to walk, eat or poop and get brittle bones because he won’t be able to absorb calcium without UVB and he will get tremors & shakes which leads to death. Beardies need proper UVB and proper Heat temps especially to poop.

rachaelcut3

Bearded Dragon Egg
My lizard is having the same problems. Try taking your beardie to the vet and getting him/her an enema

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My lizard is having the same problems. Try taking your beardie to the vet and getting him/her an enema
No enemas- the outcome can be distastrious- they most often do not turn out well-- a lot of vets do not know how to give them and they end up paralyzing them - natural laxatives are the best way!!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
It’s Simple Guys STOP feeding mealworms & remove any sand substrate and make sure u have the zoomed heat lamp and replace the UVB every 6Mnths religiously or the Beardie will suffer with MBD, to all kinds of health issues. Use digital hygrometers and digital thermometers and get an infrared gun from Home Depot shine it an inch away from the basking platform to make sure the temps are warm enuff. Adult beardies like 95-97 only and Beardies under 6Mnths old like it 100-105.