• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

20g long tank for baby dragon, lightning question

PCGamer2099

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey Everyone,

So I feel like an idiot noob trying to figure out the lighting in my tank. I started off with a 24" T 8.0 bulb before realizing I needed a T5 HO at least.. we've has the baby since Monday and he's doing OK I think, just settling in. I just got a T5 5.0 HO hood from Amazon and am now reading I should have a T5 10.0 bulb in it instead.. but with it being in such a low tank and the basking area being 4-6" from the lamp, I don't want to over do the UVB exposure. It's also sitting on top of a metal mesh screen, so that absorbs some of the UVB too.

Anyhow what does everyone think? Is the T5 5.0 HO ok for now or do I need to get a 10.0 bulb? I appreciate the info.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey Everyone,

So I feel like an idiot noob trying to figure out the lighting in my tank. I started off with a 24" T 8.0 bulb before realizing I needed a T5 HO at least.. we've has the baby since Monday and he's doing OK I think, just settling in. I just got a T5 5.0 HO hood from Amazon and am now reading I should have a T5 10.0 bulb in it instead.. but with it being in such a low tank and the basking area being 4-6" from the lamp, I don't want to over do the UVB exposure. It's also sitting on top of a metal mesh screen, so that absorbs some of the UVB too.

Anyhow what does everyone think? Is the T5 5.0 HO ok for now or do I need to get a 10.0 bulb? I appreciate the info.
You could of used the T 8 bulb - you basically have 2 of them now the 5.0 bulb is equivalent to the T 8 --- so what you need to do is make sure the bulbs either the T 8 or the 5.0 is UNOBSTRUCTED --- they are not strong enough to go thru the screen -- those are good for the small tank -- you can place the UVB width wise across the tank for now and make sure the basking decor is directly underneath 6-8 inches --- when you upgrade your tank to something bigger I recommend a 75-120 gallon the 24" fixture w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb will go right into that new tank -

PCGamer2099

Bearded Dragon Egg
You could of used the T 8 bulb - you basically have 2 of them now the 5.0 bulb is equivalent to the T 8 --- so what you need to do is make sure the bulbs either the T 8 or the 5.0 is UNOBSTRUCTED --- they are not strong enough to go thru the screen -- those are good for the small tank -- you can place the UVB width wise across the tank for now and make sure the basking decor is directly underneath 6-8 inches --- when you upgrade your tank to something bigger I recommend a 75-120 gallon the 24" fixture w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb will go right into that new tank -
Awesome thank you. Should I just use 1 of the fixtures or both if I remove the screen and put them in width wise? Ty

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Awesome thank you. Should I just use 1 of the fixtures or both if I remove the screen and put them in width wise? Ty
One will be sufficient- set it on top of the tank w/ a piece of basking decor directly underneath- 6-8 inches what brand are you using? Reptisun's are the best at this time

PCGamer2099

Bearded Dragon Egg
One will be sufficient- set it on top of the tank w/ a piece of basking decor directly underneath- 6-8 inches what brand are you using? Reptisun's are the best at this time
OK so I rearranged the lighting and I hate how it looks lol... if I got a T5 10 bulb for the fixture, would I be able to put it back on top of the metal mesh screen, or would that be too intense?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
OK so I rearranged the lighting and I hate how it looks lol... if I got a T5 10 bulb for the fixture, would I be able to put it back on top of the metal mesh screen, or would that be too intense?
It depends on the screen on the tank --- fine mesh is going to block too much of the UVB rays -- it MUST be a wide hole screen then you could put it on top and the distance would need to be 8-10 inches directly above the decor piece - you dont want to sacrifice the UVB rays for looks :) --- she needs the rays especially now w/ her growing --- I would just deal w/ the looks for now if you haft to shes not going to be in that tank but a few months - I would start working on getting a 75-120 gallon tank -- if you buy new there is some wait periods for them depending on what you get ---

PCGamer2099

Bearded Dragon Egg
It depends on the screen on the tank --- fine mesh is going to block too much of the UVB rays -- it MUST be a wide hole screen then you could put it on top and the distance would need to be 8-10 inches directly above the decor piece - you dont want to sacrifice the UVB rays for looks :) --- she needs the rays especially now w/ her growing --- I would just deal w/ the looks for now if you haft to shes not going to be in that tank but a few months - I would start working on getting a 75-120 gallon tank -- if you buy new there is some wait periods for them depending on what you get ---
OK thanks! Yeah I'm going to deal with the way it looks dor now. Getting a laser temp gun and a couple digital thermometers later today so hopefully I can fine tune her basking and tank gradient temp.

See attached pic... is this considered 'fine' mesh? I don't have anything to compare it to so I am unsure.

Attachments

• 20210723_083411.jpg
    20210723_083411.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
OK thanks! Yeah I'm going to deal with the way it looks dor now. Getting a laser temp gun and a couple digital thermometers later today so hopefully I can fine tune her basking and tank gradient temp.

See attached pic... is this considered 'fine' mesh? I don't have anything to compare it to so I am unsure.
No that is considered a wide hole type --- so I would get the 10.0 bulb place on top of your screen w/ distance of 8-10 inches decor piece directly under it --- when you upgrade to a bigger tank and screen is this type it can sit on top there as well w/ same distance --- it it goes into the tank distance for that 10.0 bulb would need to be 12-15 inches

PCGamer2099

Bearded Dragon Egg
No that is considered a wide hole type --- so I would get the 10.0 bulb place on top of your screen w/ distance of 8-10 inches decor piece directly under it --- when you upgrade to a bigger tank and screen is this type it can sit on top there as well w/ same distance --- it it goes into the tank distance for that 10.0 bulb would need to be 12-15 inches
OK great, thank for your time and all that information! It's greatly appreciated!