• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

1st time owning a bearded dragon

BeardieNoob180

Bearded Dragon Egg
It’s my first time owning a bearded dragon and I decided to build his Vivarium myself, instead of paying £140 for some flat pack chip board.

I went straight for a 4ft and it’s turned out brilliant. I’m just having some big worry’s about him getting what he needs out of my lighting and basking distances.

my lighting kit is:
39w Arcadia ProT5 Kit 14%
100W Arcadia PAR38 Halogen Heat Lamp
Arcadia Pro Ceramic Lamp Holder & Bracket
Habistat High Range dimming thermostat.

My UVB light is mounted to the top on the inside at the back and my heat lamp is on the right end infront of the uvb strip. He sits roughly 150mm from the heat lamp.
Is this okay? He is a juvenile, what type of diet is best for him also? Thanks :)
F867C0C2-8376-427A-9BB2-244EA8006BEC.jpeg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It’s my first time owning a bearded dragon and I decided to build his Vivarium myself, instead of paying £140 for some flat pack chip board.

I went straight for a 4ft and it’s turned out brilliant. I’m just having some big worry’s about him getting what he needs out of my lighting and basking distances.

my lighting kit is:
39w Arcadia ProT5 Kit 14%
100W Arcadia PAR38 Halogen Heat Lamp
Arcadia Pro Ceramic Lamp Holder & Bracket
Habistat High Range dimming thermostat.

My UVB light is mounted to the top on the inside at the back and my heat lamp is on the right end infront of the uvb strip. He sits roughly 150mm from the heat lamp.
Is this okay? He is a juvenile, what type of diet is best for him also? Thanks :)
View attachment 23873
The UVB is a good strong bulb you need a decor piece directly underneath approx 17-18 inches -- your basking temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer-- IR guns do not give proper temps on a hammock-- basking temps should be 95-110-- it's good to offer a heat gradient- a piece of log decor w/ different spots for him to sit lay stand against would offer that----
here is a website for nutrition http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
What substrate are you using? If it's a sand mat, you might want to be extra cautious because the stones on them are very loose and pose a choking/impaction hazard. Plain ones are better, even if they aren't very pretty.