• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

17 Month Old Still Doesn't Eat Veggies

ameade21

Bearded Dragon Egg
My male beardie is 17 months old now, and he still doesn't like eating his veggies. Sometimes, he will eat tiny amounts of salad (collard greens, dandelion greens, etc). But it's not as much as he should be eating. He does go crazy for crickets and worms though! I've tried placing superworms on top of greens, so that he might eat some leaves on accident. But he never goes for it. I've tried bee pollen on top of his salads and different kinds of veggies. No luck. Any advice or tricks? I have no idea what to do next.

Here are his living conditions:
- 40 gallon breeder tank (I'm upgrading him soon to a 48"x24"x24", 110 gallons)
- 75 watt basking light (temps are usually 95 degrees to 100 degrees)
- T5 UVB bulb
- Humidity is usually 30% to 40%

ameade21

Bearded Dragon Egg
Oops. I posted this to the wrong thread. This probably belongs in the diet section. My bad!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My male beardie is 17 months old now, and he still doesn't like eating his veggies. Sometimes, he will eat tiny amounts of salad (collard greens, dandelion greens, etc). But it's not as much as he should be eating. He does go crazy for crickets and worms though! I've tried placing superworms on top of greens, so that he might eat some leaves on accident. But he never goes for it. I've tried bee pollen on top of his salads and different kinds of veggies. No luck. Any advice or tricks? I have no idea what to do next.

Here are his living conditions:
- 40 gallon breeder tank (I'm upgrading him soon to a 48"x24"x24", 110 gallons)
- 75 watt basking light (temps are usually 95 degrees to 100 degrees)
- T5 UVB bulb
- Humidity is usually 30% to 40%
It is not uncommon for dragons not to eat greens by they time they get to be a year if they are not started on them right away as babies - even mine now is around 14 months and his consumption has dropped on eating them and he was started on them right away from the breeder that I got him from -- it is very frustrating for them to not eat them when they should- he is offered a fresh salad every day and wont touch it - same w/ my 2 1/2 yr old --
You can try getting some BSFL and add them to the salad - they are small and he would maybe get a couple of bites out of the salad when trying to get them - I would rinse the greens before serving as well so he gets hydration from the greens -- you can try adding some silk worms to the salad as well -- they stick to everything and they are a good staple feeder as well -you could add them to the top of the salads as well and when he takes a bite he will more than likely get a green in there as well

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Make sure to gutload his bugs on lots of veggies so he at least gets some of the nutrients.
If you're willing to put some cash into it, you can try beardie salad dressing (https://www.amazon.com/Nature-Zone-...465&sprefix=bearded+dragon+sal,aps,203&sr=8-1) though there's a chance he won't eat it and you'll be stuck with a whole bottle of the stuff.
As mentioned above, small wormy creatures (use his favorites as an incentive) can be added to salad. You can also try giving him a bit of freeze-dried crickets or commercial food in his dish to get him to eat it. You can also try making a hanging toy out of greens and put it in the tank.

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
This my be may be a long shot but maybe try syringe feeding him organic baby food. My friend tried that with her beardie who was around 2 and still not eating his veggies. It did work and now hes 5 and a half and eating like a beardie should. Hopefully that helps