• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Yellow Skin Disease?

sntabe

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello. I have a beardie about 1.5 years old now. When she was only a couple months old, I left her in the care of my neighbor with careful instruction for a couple days when I went to visit my family. When I returned, I immediately noticed that the skin of her beard was stiff, as if there was dried glue on it. I tried to find out why, but there wasn't anything on the internet or in my manuals. A few weeks later, light yellow rings appeared on her belly and beard, though still I couldn't find anything definitive. It just looked like an odd shedding pattern. Shortly afterwards, the yellow rings became dark gray rings, and I decided that it was yellow skin disease. I immediately purchased oral and topical medicines with which to treat her, and I did so after extensive research to make sure I was doing the right thing. The stiff scales on her beard peeled off over the course of a few months, and her rings scabbed and shedded. Very minimal blood was involved, though the scales that peeled off were slimy and yucky inside. It was like if lizard scales could get cavities. Even after she seemed all better, I continued to give her her medicine for a few weeks afterward, until I was sure that whatever ailed her must be dead. It left behind scars on her belly and beard, but she otherwise remained healthy and happy. At no time during this ordeal did she seem uncomfortable or in pain. This ended quite a few months ago, around October/November of last year, and I haven't worried about it since; however, recently it appears as though the light yellow rings are popping up again. Why? Did it survive? Is it actually yellow skin disease, or something else? Should I just treat her the same way I did before, or would this second generation have evolved a resistance? What should I do? I love her to death, but I'm unfortunately unable to visit a vet. She is active, eats well, and poops regularly. Her setup is fine, though I live in the desert where it is very dry. I bathe her daily, and she doesn't display any signs of distress. In the picture, the pink/orange spots with dark outlines are her scars. The new light yellow rings are on her chest and lower belly, and a few individual scales have some sort of stuff on them. The stuff seems to be scab-like and can actually scrape off the scales, but not all of it. What is happening to my beardie? Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

35hpafr.jpg

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
OMG. I know you didn't want to hear this but your beardie does need a vet like YESTERDAY! You treated it for something that you weren't sure what it was and you may have made things worse. Yellow Fungus typically starts by the vent and then spreads. Your dragon has nothing by it's vent. To me it looks like it was burned somehow. The white is damaged scales. Do you have a picture of when you got the dragon back from your friend? Before you took it upon yourself to treat it?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh my :( I agree it looks like either a physical burn or a chemical burn. This doesn't look like YF at all to me. I know you said your set up is good, but please fill us in on your set up, temps, lights the whole nine yards, pictures can help to...Also you say you give baths daily what temp is the water?? You live in the desert when she's out to bask is it possible she's laying on something that gets super hot???? Since they can't feel heat on their bellies and those areas are more delicate this is likely the cause...and if it is infected she can become septic (infection into her blood) that is really bad..
I would really have her been seen by a reptile vet, I know you love her so please check with a reptile vet and work something out to get her seen asap. I wouldn't do any self treatments not knowing for sure what is going on..

sntabe

Bearded Dragon Egg
OMG. I know you didn't want to hear this but your beardie does need a vet like YESTERDAY! You treated it for something that you weren't sure what it was and you may have made things worse. Yellow Fungus typically starts by the vent and then spreads. Your dragon has nothing by it's vent. To me it looks like it was burned somehow. The white is damaged scales. Do you have a picture of when you got the dragon back from your friend? Before you took it upon yourself to treat it?

No, I don't have a picture, but she looked completely normal. The only thing wrong was that the scales of her beard were stiff, but they didn't visibly look any different. As I said, I'm unable to take her to a vet, mainly that there aren't actually any vets who see beardies in my area. It isn't a burn; I witnessed the progression of the disease firsthand. The medicine I used had an almost immediate beneficial affect, and it seemed to help her overall.

sntabe

Bearded Dragon Egg
Do you use an under tank heater?

No.

Oh my :( I agree it looks like either a physical burn or a chemical burn. This doesn't look like YF at all to me. I know you said your set up is good, but please fill us in on your set up, temps, lights the whole nine yards, pictures can help to...Also you say you give baths daily what temp is the water?? You live in the desert when she's out to bask is it possible she's laying on something that gets super hot???? Since they can't feel heat on their bellies and those areas are more delicate this is likely the cause...and if it is infected she can become septic (infection into her blood) that is really bad..
I would really have her been seen by a reptile vet, I know you love her so please check with a reptile vet and work something out to get her seen asap. I wouldn't do any self treatments not knowing for sure what is going on..

My beardie lives in the bathtub, where she has access to artificial sunlight and indirect sunlight. The hot area ranges from 90-110F and the cool area is generally around 80-90F. Her UVB lamp was replaced a few weeks ago, but her heat lamp is nearly half a year old. It still works, though. The interior of the bathtub changes daily, from fake foliage to sterilized wooden perches to nontoxic rubber objects. If she poops before I leave the house, she also gets a padded floor and extra fluffy objects, which she likes and are a reward for pooping when I'm there to clean it up. I change her environment to make sure she doesn't get bored. I have made sure that all objects are safe for her to play on/in and there's nothing sharp to hurt her or small enough to gobble. I never use heating pads or rocks, and the water she bathes in is warm. Admittedly, I've never measured the tempurature, but it's something I'd swim in. I really want to take her to a vet, but it's just not something I can do at this time.

BrookeE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
She lives in the bathtub? Is there any substrate? Id really like to see a picture of her bath tub set up.

sntabe

Bearded Dragon Egg
2wbxrhh.jpg

This was her setup today. Pillow, water bath, salad, football, fake foliage, and spiky domes. The spiky domes are soft enough that they shouldn't be able to scratch or harm her. The blue mats are there for traction. Everything is clean and nontoxic. Her bulbs are 75 watt and about 10-12" above her. Her perch was a little closer to the lights today than usual, but she always can hide in the leaves or sit in the water (both of which she has done before). I never use substrate. When she eats roaches, I take everything out and make sure they all get eaten. She didn't have any worms today, but I occasionally give her worms in a container that they can't escape. Her salad consisted of collard greens, zucchini, and basil.

sntabe

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey, anyone there? I know that there are a lot of beardies in need of urgent care on this forum, but I'm really worried. I don't know how to help my beardie. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I really don't know what to say. You really need to see a vet. This is way beyond anything a forum can help you with. None of us our vets so we are just offering our opinions on things that we have had experience with, this is way out of our league.

The other thing is they need a dry home with humidity that is 30-40%, a bathroom holds too much humidity. Also, sitting on a wet "floor" can harbor bacteria, which may be what caused this. They also need some sort of substrate that they won't slip around on. They can get some thing called splayed leg, from not being able to stand up or walk properly on their flooring.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm with Patsy on this I know you love your beardie but this is beyond our experience with none of us being vets...
The only thing I can think of is you say you bathe her everyday...they don't need baths that often 1-2 times a week is more common, MAYBE what she is dealing with is a fungal/bacterial infection from being wet alot, which would come back time and time again..But it really does not look like YF since it's not around the vent..What do you bathe her with? just water or do you use a dragon wash of some sort??
But in the end you really need to look into a rescue or something to get vet assistance..as if infections get bad enough it gets into her blood stream and that can lead to death...They are very stoic critters so you may not even know if she is in pain or not..
Also your lighting what is her UVB? are you using a coil UVB? those cause eye damage...

sntabe

Bearded Dragon Egg
Okay. I'll see if I can try to get her to a vet. Her UVB is a coil, so I'll need to get a new one. What should I get? I'll also look into all your other suggestions, but in the meantime, thank you guys so much. If anything, I hope she isn't in pain. Here she is, snuggling on my bed!

2e5l6kx.jpg

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Most of us use Reptisun T5 HO 10.0 it is a tube style bulb...I've gotten mine thru petmountain.com they sell the hood and it comes with a 5.0 bulb free so if you do this make sure you get a 10.0 bulb.. the 5.0 bulb can be an for emergency back up bulb..

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
A tube style bulb is your best bet and will offer the most UVB coverage.

BrookeE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Wonder if the basking bulb ever heats the bathtub flooring really hot and it burns her. Just throwing things out there because of how much it resembles a burn. But- bathrooms do tend to be humid, so a fungal infection does seem to be a likely candidate.
As gently and respectfully as possible, have you considered getting her a proper tank..? Having her live in the bathtub is a little unorthodox, and hey maybe its been working for you just fine, but if I've learned anything about beardies, its that 90% of the time if they're having problems, its environmental. Whether substrate, temps, humidity, improper lighting, etc. I would think temperature control and humidity would be difficult to control in a bathtub.

Someone mentioned a chemical burn earlier, and I know many people use bleach when cleaning a bathroom. So that leads me to the question, what do you use to clean the bath tub floor? Could something you clean with be causing this?