• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Wild BSFL? (aka reptiworms)

Aziara

Hatchling Dragon
The superworms came in! I've got them all set up with some ground up quick oats, just waiting for hubby to get home with some baby carrots. I think I'll start trying to pupate some of the largest ones. I'm going to try setting up a screen-bottomed beetle tank, so the eggs and hatchlings fall down into the nursery, and I don't have to handle those giant black beetles...:confused: The nursery will be changed to a different tank occasionally, so I don't end up with tons of big ones in with the newborns.
Dang, but these suckers are big! I'm so used to seeing mealworms (I'd buy them already dried, for my birds). it's like having Shetland ponies, and suddenly, I have Clydesdales . :D

I also set up a second 5 gallon bucket of BSFL. I've got both buckets in the shed with a window open a crack for the adults to come and go. Should no longer have issues with furry thieves.:eek: As quick as the life cycle of the black soldier fly is, I'm sure it will be a whole new batch once I get my dragon. Any that contacted the possum should be long gone by then.

Aziara

Hatchling Dragon
As far as dusting/gutloading goes...
I know that BSFL don't need dusting with calcium due to their already high calcium levels, but should they be dusted with vitamins? And/or perhaps gutloaded on something different for their last 24 hours before feeding?
I have heard that superworms 'can't' be dusted because they are basically made of teflon, thus they should be thoroughly gutloaded. But then I hear other folks saying they should be dusted AND gutloaded... Which is it?

I'm trying to decide if I should get some Repashy products... specifically superload and superveggie (I hear it's a great beardie salad dressing).

I have some Rep-Cal brand:
phosphorus-free calcium with vitamin D3,
and Herptivite with beta carotene multivitamins.

Are these good, or should I get some Repashy calcium plus?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Sorry late in responding...

I gut load and dust my super worms. The powder does stick to them a little. I love Repashy Calcium Plus, I use that instead of using a separate calcium and multivitamin. It's okay to use every day. As far as the other products go, I use Grub Pie as a treat every now and then. I have some super veg and have sprinkled it on the salad but not made a dressing with it yet. I use Veggie Pie as a substitute food for my horn worms when they run out of food.