• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Where to buy food?

Kota

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey guys so my dragons are going through about 300 crickets a week and I'm looking for the best and cheapest place to get them and possibly some other things to add variety. The cheapest I found so far is fluckers farm at $19.30 for 500 1/2" crickets along with shipping
Also, the critters are about 4 months old guessing from their size. They are eating around 30 crickets a day, is that good for them or should I adjust that?

derbydragon77

Hatchling Dragon
My suggestion would be to switch to Dubia. Yea they are roaches but they don't smell, dont make noise, won't jump out and won't bite your beardie like crickets. Its also fairly simple to have a colony so you don't have to keep buying them. They also can't live very well in your home IF they get out. They need hot temps to thrive. The amazing part is they have way more nutrional value. Between those, super worms and a couple hornworms for treats you'll have a decent mix. Of course there are Phoenix worms and wax worms.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I always bought my crickets from Josh's frogs. They have a house brand cricket that was always a good deal. Dubiaroaches.com is very good for other bugs. I just ordered a chameleon feeder pack that had 100 dubia, 100 BSFL, 25 hornworms and I ordered 100 supers, it was around $43 with the shipping.

Kota

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yea I bought some dubias once to try with them and they liked them but everyone else in the house freaked out of course thinking that they will infest and take over lol

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
That's how my boyfriend thought about them until he saw them at a show and saw they can't climb out of the bowl and they look like little water bugs. He's starting to understand they don't multiply like other roaches. I can handle the small ones with no problem but it's the bigger ones that still creep me out a bit.

Kota

Bearded Dragon Egg
I was also thinking about trying some of the canned insects like crickets or grasshoppers because then they won't be all over my house. I think the crickets infest worse than any roach lol

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I was also thinking about trying some of the canned insects like crickets or grasshoppers because then they won't be all over my house. I think the crickets infest worse than any roach lol

Those are horrible. First of all they prefer live food to hunt but the canned stuff is, well, I don't know what it is. The crickets are giant and unreal looking.

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Those are horrible. First of all they prefer live food to hunt but the canned stuff is, well, I don't know what it is. The crickets are giant and unreal looking.
I dont think they are horrible but they should only be used as backup food is you run out of live food and need to get more

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey guys so my dragons are going through about 300 crickets a week and I'm looking for the best and cheapest place to get them and possibly some other things to add variety. The cheapest I found so far is fluckers farm at $19.30 for 500 1/2" crickets along with shipping
Also, the critters are about 4 months old guessing from their size. They are eating around 30 crickets a day, is that good for them or should I adjust that?
Are you housing two dragons together?