• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What's wrong with my beardie?

Matt.keith7

Hatchling Dragon
Hey guys,

My little girl Sola has been hiding most the day for a few weeks at least now. She comes out to eat, then goes back inside her hides and I haven't seen her bask in a long time.

I got her in late October and was told she was 12-13 weeks at that time. So my estimation is she will be 1 year old around mid-late July. Until about a month ago she's been a big eater, I fed her dubias everyday with a couple supers in with them dusted with rep-cal and a salad of collards or mustard greens, carrots and bell or sweet peppers. She would clear her salad bowl every time, every day.. Now she eats maybe half her salad every day.., sometimes she cleans the bowl and sometimes she don't touch it at all. I have cut the bugs back to 4 or 5 days a week because I was afraid she is getting over weight.

She gets exercise a few times a week(runs around the house) and a bath at least once a week with a bowel movement in every bath. She hasn't pooped as much since she's been hiding either, used to be everyday and now it's usually only in baths.

I have recently changed her basking bulb to a lower wattage because I was thinking she's becoming an adult and might want a lower temp while basking. Her enclosure temp is around 80 on cool side and right now it's about 90 on basking side. Basking rock temp is around 100 with a 50w bulb. Just got new 36" t5 10.0 uvb bulbs in both my beardies enclosures. Before that she had a t8-18" uvb bulb.

Is she just lazy? Am I doing something wrong? Should I take her to the vet?
0b38506d86bb7d08ad5a407f1f644ae8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mom of blazey

Juvenile Dragon
She looks like she may have some eggs in that belly, check out the sub forums within this forum, this info about what to do. I've only had this happen once years ago. I don't want to give you bad information so ck out the sub forum under: care. Maybe wait for a few of the other beardie moms/dad's to chime in. Keep us posted

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

Matt.keith7

Hatchling Dragon
She looks like she may have some eggs in that belly, check out the sub forums within this forum, this info about what to do. I've only had this happen once years ago. I don't want to give you bad information so ck out the sub forum under: care. Maybe wait for a few of the other beardie moms/dad's to chime in. Keep us posted

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

Thanks for the fast reply, I was thinking eggs too. I thought they had to be older to lay eggs but maybe it's more of a size thing like turtles.. I don't know.. I'm checking with the vet on getting X-rays done.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yea she looks good but I would kinda agree she does kinda look like she may be gravid... have you felt her belly when in the bath? maybe by gently feeling her belly you may be able to feel the eggs.. BUT be very careful not to push too hard or you may rupture an egg and that would be bad...
Your temps look good, are you in the states? maybe if she's not gravid maybe she wants to have some down time kinda like a brumation of sorts.. My 2 are and have been in their hides off and on for a couple weeks now.. and I'm in WI and it's friggin 90 out lol

Matt.keith7

Hatchling Dragon
Yes I'm in Georgia, I gently felt around her lower belly earlier and didn't feel any lumps. I'll try to feel in a bath later.

Could be brumation too I guess.. jeez it was stressful for me when my 2 yr old went down for brumation last winter..

I'm looking into getting the stuff for a lay box incase she wants to lay eggs. And I checked the vet for X-ray prices. Good thing my girlfriend works at the vet.. discount!!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes I'm in Georgia, I gently felt around her lower belly earlier and didn't feel any lumps. I'll try to feel in a bath later.

Could be brumation too I guess.. jeez it was stressful for me when my 2 yr old went down for brumation last winter..

I'm looking into getting the stuff for a lay box incase she wants to lay eggs. And I checked the vet for X-ray prices. Good thing my girlfriend works at the vet.. discount!!

Yea sometimes when they are in the bath they kinda flatten out a bit when they are super relaxed or loving the temp that's when I feel around on my female.. luckily she's never been gravid (hope i don't just jynx myself lol)
I know brumation sucks lol

Honeybadger

Hatchling Dragon
you should be able to feel soft oval lumps in a row on each side of her belly when she is flattened out in her bath, just slide your hand under her and gently stroke while she is flattened out. A later indication is a black tail, my Lizz have been laying a clutch of unfertilized eggs a month since she was 15 months, so I know the drill. We call the black tail her "Egg timer" because when it's about halfway up her eggs are nearing done.