• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Weight Issues

Pikafuey

Hatchling Dragon
So...this is my first post here. I registered here to ask questions regarding my beardie. The one I have is my very first dragon ever, and he is currently 5 months old. The people at the Pet Store I got him from (it was from one of those private owner/breeder shops, not a chain) said he was about three months when I bought him.

He is a Red Bearded Dragon, and I have had him for two months now. I just bought a scale to weigh him, because I was concerned he wasn't big enough for his age. When I weighed him, it came up to 1.0 oz--which I read that means 28.35 grams. I feel as though this isn't normal, but I wasn't sure.

I feed him crickets daily, and will give him as much as he will eat. I also use the power vitamin supplements so he gets all the nutrients he needs as he grows. The hot side of his tank is typically at 100, and over there he has a basking rock right by the light and a log. On the cool side of his tank, it's about 70--this is where his water dish, and hideaway is. He is usually in his hammock, or basking rock. The humidity is within the correct ranges (the desert zone of the gauge).

The problem is, sometimes he will not be hungry. He won't want food of any sort. He doesn't really eat any of the greens in his bowl--I give him Kale, Carrots, Celery, Cucumber, Oregano (sometimes), and Rosemary (sometimes). So I don't know why he'll reject the crickets sometimes, and I feel like it is taking a toll on his weight.

Is his weight normal? Also I want to note that I'm unsure of his gender. I have no idea if he's male or female--but I want him to be male. I heard you can't really tell until they're 6 months or older. So yeah. Gender is currently unknown.

What should I do if he is underweight? He has had dewormer from a vet before about a month ago. Could that be the issue, parasites maybe? His poop looks pretty normal. So I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong and I'm really worried :(

Here are some pictures of him so you can judge for yourself:

iFgohfp.jpg

XOI5zr8.jpg

Pikafuey

Hatchling Dragon
I was also thinking, do you think he may be younger than 5 months? He's not very large in size compared to other dragons his age.

Is it possible that he's younger than what I was told?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome, your little one is super cute. He/she doesn't look too bad really for the size.. the age is about right I think, what is the rest of the tank like? You could raise the temp to 107F and some like a bit warmer but not more than 113F
Have you tried different feeder bugs?? I would offer a variety.
In the links below some of our comments you will find really good resources and food links.. Kale is ok as long as you mix it up with something like collards, turnip greens, dandilion greens, mustard greens.. But also know that babies don't typically eat their greens right away so make sure your feeder bugs get it as well so they get it thru them.
In the link you will also find how to "sex" them as he/she is close to being able to see their hemipenes for boy the 2 ovals and for girl just a bump in the middle.
If fecals are clean then it may just be temps or him/her being picky, but if he's eating and not gaining weight it is likely your feeding parasites.

Pikafuey

Hatchling Dragon
Welcome, your little one is super cute. He/she doesn't look too bad really for the size.. the age is about right I think, what is the rest of the tank like? You could raise the temp to 107F and some like a bit warmer but not more than 113F
Have you tried different feeder bugs?? I would offer a variety.
In the links below some of our comments you will find really good resources and food links.. Kale is ok as long as you mix it up with something like collards, turnip greens, dandilion greens, mustard greens.. But also know that babies don't typically eat their greens right away so make sure your feeder bugs get it as well so they get it thru them.
In the link you will also find how to "sex" them as he/she is close to being able to see their hemipenes for boy the 2 ovals and for girl just a bump in the middle.
If fecals are clean then it may just be temps or him/her being picky, but if he's eating and not gaining weight it is likely your feeding parasites.

Thank you! Does he appear underweight to you at all? The is my biggest concern, because I want to make sure he's eating properly.

I haven't tried other bugs yet. I don't want to do roaches due to a severe phobia of them. And I don't know if superworms would be too big? Are there other bugs to try? He does get wax worms every now and again, but it's not a main staple of his diet.

I will try raising his temp and see how he feels about it. As for the veggies, I wasn't too concerned about him eating them. I was told that they typically don't eat them at his age. I still provide them though, just in case.

As for sexing him, I will see if I'm able to just yet. Thank you so much for your help so far! I really appreciate it, since my little Atlas means very much to me <3

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He looks good to me body weight wise..He's plump in the belly, the base of the tail looks good. The fat pads on his head (on top of the head and right before the spike row) look ok giving his age just make sure you keep him hydrated and if those 2 areas get sunkin in that's when I would be more concerned.

Pikafuey

Hatchling Dragon
Thank you both for your advice! <3

I had another concern however. His poop has a very slimy gloss over it, and is only a tiny bit runny looking? What would this indicate?