• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

WAXWORMS {This is kind of a weird question}

Kuhli

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok so i hate waxworms. They freeze together in disgusting clusters, and they just look like maggots. Im terrified of grabbing one with my tweezers and squeezing too hard[emoji15]but the worst part is FINDING them in the substrate they come in, and having to pick them up.

Where can I buy waxworms that dont come in a substrate? So i can just tip a couple out no need for tweezers anything. Is that even a thing? What is the purpose of the substrate they come in I dont get it[emoji23]is it food?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dragnmum

Hatchling Dragon
Ok so i hate waxworms. They freeze together in disgusting clusters, and they just look like maggots. Im terrified of grabbing one with my tweezers and squeezing too hard[emoji15]but the worst part is FINDING them in the substrate they come in, and having to pick them up.

Where can I buy waxworms that dont come in a substrate? So i can just tip a couple out no need for tweezers anything. Is that even a thing? What is the purpose of the substrate they come in I dont get it[emoji23]is it food?

Are you talking about a daily feeder? Wax worms should be a treat. Try the BSFL Worms. They come in soil and they don't stick together and very nutritious. Better yet, get Dubias :)

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

why are you freezing them?? All of your feeders should be live when fed to them..waxworms should be stored at around 55F they die and turn black and die before you can feed them off, they always come in the bedding that helps insulate them until they get fed off.

Dogdayz1215

Juvenile Dragon
Are you talking about a daily feeder? Wax worms should be a treat. Try the BSFL Worms. They come in soil and they don't stick together and very nutritious. Better yet, get Dubias :)

BSFL worms?
And why are the roaches so popular? I can't stand roaches!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Draeju's_world

Juvenile Dragon
BSFL 'worms' are maggots...larvae of the black soldier fly. Dubias are near the perfect feeder insect nutritionally speaking...and are quieter, slower, and less smelly than crickets.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Dubia are most nutritious all around. I got over my ick factor by telling myself they are water bugs LOL!

BSFL-black soldier fly larva is sold as Phoenix worms, Calciworms or Reptiworms.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yep Dubia are very meaty bugs that have good moisture as well as having a long GI tract which means they keep the nutrients that they are fed inside them longer so your dragon gets full benefit from a feeder bug. They are easy to breed, they are quite, and really are low maintenance.

rdoyle225

Juvenile Dragon
They are actually pretty cool. One of my breeder females.
4da14545cb0f6ec57f814937ce2e860b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

KrissyLeigh

Juvenile Dragon

I'm not a fan of waxworms either - in addition to being kindof yucky, my reptiles have trouble digesting them for some reason. Keep in mind they are not a daily feeder, but a treat food. For treat food I go with butterworms and hornworms. Not as yucky, easy to digest, and the hornworms have a super high water content - helpful, since my beardie refuses to ingest water in any way, ever!