• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

VET /TREATMENT /POSSIBLE FUNGUS ADVICE PLEASE!

beardie777888

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi looking for some advice /others people's experiences with this pleas thanks

ok so 8 year old male beardie, his shed wasnt great this time, a lot seemed caked on . i noticed a weird sort of growth in his beard where it hadnt shed , looked possibly fungus like or could have just been deep embedded shed collections bt i went at it with tweezers and cleaned itup and its hard to know . it doesnt look too bad at all now

beardie is very healthy /bright/alert/eating fine , good set up ,correct uv and temps etc , lives on his own

so i dont know what to do , im panicking that itc ould be yellow fungus (not shed well in other patches) . he is actually creamy yellow coloured most time,so its hard to see

i dont know what to do , in terms of vets, i dont have much money but can afford a couple of hundred (my circumstances are very difficult ) , and of course i want to do best for him

with yellow fungus, and fungus in general there is WILDLY different results and claims, from vets and people who been through vet treatment with the vet
some say they ver likely be dead in 12-18 months regardless, othjers have very good results with treating themselves , things like grapeseed extract, iodine , creams ,coconut oil, and coloidal silver . like its totally reversed the issue in many people's dragons

this is different from blasting the dragons system with oral and injections etc - which this approach seems to simply keep the drago going a bit longer, suffering ,and shedding hundreds and hundreds of pounds

I had very poor advice from the only exotic reptile vet in past and it turned out he was very wrong, my beardie was just brumating (he was about to sanction opening him up etc)

so im torn , of course only want the best for him, but i dont have money for both approaches

my feeling is i want to first of all get fungus ruled out as priority obviously, but if it is , can i then treat myself, or am i forced to go down their route (which seems to have much less success looking loads and loads into this online)

this yellow fungus, anyone else had experience? is it 100%fatal ? or almost always ?
or other fungus, and it is much more treatable etc?
and scale rot comes up a lot online too, could be that, is that much more treatable, or equally as dangerous / same thing as yellow fungus just diff name ?

the latter stages of yellow fungus look horrific, i could never put him through that

any advice appreciated many thanks

beardie777888

Bearded Dragon Egg
hey there - can you post a photo?

hiya haha ye everyone says that . i will sort one tomorrow I dont think its much to see, there was untill i removed most of it with tweezers. its the fact it truly can be described as , kinda potato sprouting, and his bad shed elsewhere is making me think fungus , from what i seen online it matches very well, to either scale rot or to fungus

Mom of blazey

Juvenile Dragon
I've been very lucky with no real health issues, I'd say check out the sub forums within this forum and wait for others to chime in. Like Canicke said a pic would be helpful, good luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
A picture will help us have some idea. We aren't vets but we've seen other animals with fungal infections. The fact that you picked it with tweezers may have made things worse. If you ever think your beardie has stuck shed, you should use 100% pure Aloe at night when the lights go out or Reptile Shedding aid. If it is a fungus, unfortunately the only option is a vet to get the proper medicine.

beardie777888

Bearded Dragon Egg
A picture will help us have some idea. We aren't vets but we've seen other animals with fungal infections. The fact that you picked it with tweezers may have made things worse. If you ever think your beardie has stuck shed, you should use 100% pure Aloe at night when the lights go out or Reptile Shedding aid. If it is a fungus, unfortunately the only option is a vet to get the proper medicine.

so it doesnt look like much , it was twice the size before . did seem to fit the description of fungus or scale rot but i have cleaned it up and dabbed it with strong non toxic antifungal etc . should i just keep an eye on it eg if it grows remotley , then that defo is something more than retained congealed shed etc

Attachments

• IMG_7163.JPG
    IMG_7163.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_7161.JPG
    IMG_7161.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_7160.JPG
    IMG_7160.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 80

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
From the pictures it looks like nothing. The black parts are just the normal coloring under the beard. That area is VERY difficult to shed though because the scales are different widths and go in different directions. Shed skin always gets stuck there.

beardie777888

Bearded Dragon Egg
From the pictures it looks like nothing. The black parts are just the normal coloring under the beard. That area is VERY difficult to shed though because the scales are different widths and go in different directions. Shed skin always gets stuck there.

heya . its the bit of gristle at the bottom of the section i gripped in the pics. but i took him to a vet , she said didnt think was yellow fungus,and couldnt test as didnt have the anaesthetic available (i found odd- i didnt take him myself) . she said about yellow fungus no starting in one spot, which again conflicts masively to the info online ,it says starts with a spot, a spot which looked exactly like the stuff i went at to clean up (i shouldhave took pic before)

so now, where we are up to is, she said to keep an eye on him. so effectively wait for it to take hold more (if it is fungus ,or yellow fungus)

not having a proper confirmed test is dissapointing im none the wiser,other than it not being a glaring obvious diagnosis by eye . so i have povidone iodine spray i already bought.

im thinking, if the growth grows back it defo an indicator of the fungus , if not then all good i guess. although in that, i shouldnt keep spraying it with povidone iodine - as this will possibly mean,if he does have fungus-yellow or other, that i will be thinking "the spot not grown back" so now he fine, meanwhile, it could be slowly taking over other areas /internal , and i wont know untill it took hold a bit more

waiting game i guess

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Weird. They should have done a skin scrape and that would still tell if there is any bacteria present. I would just keep an eye on it like she said. I wouldn't treat it. If it comes back, take him to the vet right away so she can see it before you try to treat it yourself.

beardie777888

Bearded Dragon Egg
ye I will keep an eye on it and see what happens. fingers crossed it nothing but weird congealed retained spike shed, although it was nothing like usual retained shed