• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Updates on Fernando, he keeps poopin' on me!

Squish

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hello again! So good news, Fernando has finally started calming down and enjoying my company! I have bribed him with food and good pets, and he's definitely learning to like me. He closes his little eyes when I pet him and it's so cute!

Only problem I'm still having, which I asked about briefly in another thread.. is that he keeps pooping when I take him out. It's happened maybe 5 times at this point and I'm concerned. I hope he isn't a "pooper" when I hold him forever. It seems to happen almost exclusively in the morning when I hold him and feed him a few supers to earn his love.. after a few minutes of eating he seems like he suddenly needs to go. It's hard to know whether or not it will happen because he seems to poop every few days, not consistently on a day to day basis.

I do not think he's doing it maliciously, and, thankfully, he does seem to try to escape me when he has to go.. which is easier to see now that he's become much calmer with me in general. I can't figure out why it keeps happening though. It's almost as if he's holding it for when I take him out?? Maybe he's just getting on a schedule and that's when I happen to hold him? Is it possible some dragons prefer to do their business outside of their enclosure, and if so is there any way I can accommodate that without getting poop on me or my floor (or bed.. yikes!) ? I appreciate all the help! As much as I love animals, I don't like being pooped on at all. I'd like to find a way to avoid this becoming a regular thing.

Maybe early morning baths to get it out, or a little bin to eat and do his business before I hold him? I may be wrong, but I'm getting the vibe he "saves it" for when he's out of the cage.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Most dragons do not like pooping in their home so they will wait until they are out.. They will kinda get on a schedule or sorts.. I know that mine will go every couple of days and they prefer to go while in their bath or while they are outside (during summer)...If I want to take mine anywhere I make sure that they have done their business or I don't take them.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
yeah - ditto to what Hdrydr31 said. my girl REFUSES to poop in her viv. not if she has to hold it for a week!! my new little boy (I named him Ellis - from LS for Little **** :) ) I haven't quite figured out yet. he's had 2 baths - which he TOTALLY HATED - and did not poop. he has pooped in his viv - started out daily, then went down to every few days. thinkin I need to get him out more. Grab some tissue (or a bib - :) ) when you grab Fernando. It may be that he doesn't want to poop in his tank or that the increase in activity gets things moving. When he tries to get away from you - put him down! you'll get through this!

KrissyLeigh

Juvenile Dragon
My beardie is completely inconsistent about pooping. Different places in his tank, different times, different days. He has never pooped in his bath or during free range time... doesn't answer your question, just making the point they are all different. I clean the tank a lot. So much poo!

Squish

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey guys! Just got back on, but thank you for all of your replies! I am finally starting to figure him out. Definitely don't think he poops on me intentionally, and I'm starting to figure out ways around it. He hates baths so I've been holding off on them until he's more bonded to me, but he fell asleep in my arms the other day for a good half hour so I think we're gettin' somewhere. I always clean the poop out of the cage right away when he does go, but I guess I can understand not wanting to poop in your home if you have the option. He certainly seems to hold it in and wait for me to take him out.. so I've started waiting until he goes, then cleaning it out right away and holding him after. Then I can feed him many worms and not have to worry about being pooped on. Once I give him baths again though, I'd be okay with him learning to go during that. It's fun to hear about everyone's dragons and experiences.