• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Update and new question on my other beardie

Bronzemist

Bearded Dragon Egg
As suggested in my previous thread, I tried feeding my dragon that refused to eat superworms anymore, calci-worms. She wouldn't eat them willingly so I put them in between her lips and she then went ahead and ate them. She never showed any resistance to eating them once i did that but she never did it herself. So i just went back to waxworms because she will actually eat those. She still seems healthy as ever though. Not really sure what to do. But that now leads me to my next problem

My other dragon, Dune, now also refuses to eat. He has always been eating super worms but now he won't eat anything. The past 3 or 4 days, ive had to use my finger to open his mouth and put the worms like halfway in to get him to eat a few. He has also lost his calcium deposits on the top of his head. But he is still extremely active and doesn't look any skinnier then normal. Im really at a loss right now. Does anyone have any ideas for either of them?

Both of them are in 36 x 18 x 18 National Geographic terrariums with tile as their flooring. No sand has ever been used. They have custom basking spots that were made out of covered foam like a lot of people do. And their basking spots are definitely warm enough warm enough. But not too warm. And the only time they are in their tanks is at night through the afternoon. Then they come out to eat, and bask in front of the window. And every other day we take them outside to let them swim in a kiddie pool that we fill with warm water and when they get out, we make sure they drink because even though they have filled water bowls, the don't seem to drink from them ever.

Thanks for any suggestions. If you would like pictures, just ask and i'l do my best.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
How old are they and what are you measuring your temps with? Are they in separate tanks?

Bronzemist

Bearded Dragon Egg
How old are they and what are you measuring your temps with? Are they in separate tanks?

Dune is about a year old maybe? ( not exact. I just am currently having a brain fart and im not at home to check)

And the other one, my female, Shay, is going on 4 i believe. She was a rescue. But ive had her for probably 6 months now. And she ate superworms fine up until about 3 months ago.

They each have their own tanks in seperate rooms. To take temperature readings, we use those small yellow thermometers with the white probe that you put inside the tank. And to check basking temperatures we use one of those IR laser thermometers.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Make sure their basking temps are 95-100 degrees. My adults even like it a little warmer than that. Beardies do get tired of eating the same bugs, maybe try switching things up and giving some horn worms or silkworms or dubia. I would also try to get a fecal and take it to the vet to be tested for parasites.

You could also try sprinkling bee pollen on top of their bugs and salads to help get them to eat them. Some people have had lots of luck with it.

Bronzemist

Bearded Dragon Egg
Make sure their basking temps are 95-100 degrees. My adults even like it a little warmer than that. Beardies do get tired of eating the same bugs, maybe try switching things up and giving some horn worms or silkworms or dubia. I would also try to get a fecal and take it to the vet to be tested for parasites.

You could also try sprinkling bee pollen on top of their bugs and salads to help get them to eat them. Some people have had lots of luck with it.

I will try to get those samples and take them into a vet. But i have tried Discoids, Waxworms, Superworms, Mealworms, and Crickets. She will only eat waxworms every other day or so and he has to be assist fed superworms or else he wont eat at all.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I would make a full appointment for them at the vet. If they don't have parasites they have could have something going on in there mouth that makes them not want to eat.

I have one dragon that is very lazy and doesn't want to eat a whole lot on her own. I find that if I give her plain coconut water in a syringe, she will drink it up and get some energy and then she seems to want to eat.

Bronzemist

Bearded Dragon Egg
I would make a full appointment for them at the vet. If they don't have parasites they have could have something going on in there mouth that makes them not want to eat.

I have one dragon that is very lazy and doesn't want to eat a whole lot on her own. I find that if I give her plain coconut water in a syringe, she will drink it up and get some energy and then she seems to want to eat.
They both ate yesterday. She had about 15 waxworms and he had 8 superworms that i "assist fed" him. Should i try the plain coconut water in a syringe and if that doenst work, then check with a vet?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
That's great that they ate! Try the coconut water, maybe they are dehydrated and need that boost. You need to be careful with syringe feeding so they don't aspirate. What I do with Dolly is I gently push the syringe on the side of her mouth and just put a few drops in her mouth. She'll start licking and then I will drip it on the tip of her nose. Make sure the water is plain coconut water, I usually use the CocoVita water.

Bronzemist

Bearded Dragon Egg
That's great that they ate! Try the coconut water, maybe they are dehydrated and need that boost. You need to be careful with syringe feeding so they don't aspirate. What I do with Dolly is I gently push the syringe on the side of her mouth and just put a few drops in her mouth. She'll start licking and then I will drip it on the tip of her nose. Make sure the water is plain coconut water, I usually use the CocoVita water.
I'll give that a try. And when i get them to drink water i just let it drip onto the tip of their mouth/nose. So i'll give that a whirl and if they still dont eat after a few days of trying it i'll attempt to find a vet that sees reptiles around me.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Hope it helps. It's so frustrating when these guys don't eat and can't tell us what is wrong with them. My oldest girl Dexter gets this swollen tissue in her mouth that flares up every now and then. So when she doesn't want to eat it makes me worry that it's bothering her.

Twinkie13

Juvenile Dragon
Man o man..... This sux! Why does this stuff happen so often. I seem to read about it often here.
Are these mainly rescues that this occurs in and were not treated right? I can't imagine them not wanting to eat....will they just starve themselves or are we just trying to make them eat like we think they should? I ask in all seriousness...

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Man o man..... This sux! Why does this stuff happen so often. I seem to read about it often here.
Are these mainly rescues that this occurs in and were not treated right? I can't imagine them not wanting to eat....will they just starve themselves or are we just trying to make them eat like we think they should? I ask in all seriousness...
They won't starve themselves there is a reason why they won't eat that's the key is finding out what..

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club

Dexter wasn't a rescue, I got her from Petsmart as a baby. She was a great eater. Loved her salads and fruits just as much as she loved her bugs. At about 18 months old I was hand feeding her a strawberry and I didn't move my hand away fast enough and along with the strawberry she got my finger. It hurt and I reacted by jerking my hand away, pulling her with my hand. Every since then she stopped eating her veggies for me and I have to trick her.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That's the same thing that happened to me Simon LOVED strawberries until.....he got my finger too and I (being caught off guard) kinda "cried out" and he stepped back and just looked soo sorry that he got me.. He hasn't eaten strawberries since NOR eaten from my hand anymore.. These critters are something else I tell ya they are complex and have personalities it's amazing