• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Travel With Your Dragon

Twinkie13

Juvenile Dragon
ok, so going to the sunshine state for about a week. From NO, about a 4 to hour drive.
I was going to just bring the lamp and the uvb and a Sterlite.
My lil sis would normally watch him, but she is coming too lol.

Any any any and all all all suggestions are reco'd please please.

I was thinking about buying one of those collapse able "air" mesh enclosures that Chameloens seem to like and maybe put him on the balcony some afternoons......maybe let him on the sand a bit( this a bad idea? He wouldn't be eating on it, just thought me might like it ).

Obv I gotta watch seagulls, but he is 15 inches now....lol, what am I thinking !?
But I would be over him like a hawk(no pun intended lol)

So please everyone chime in with travel stories and if you have FLA/beach ones even better....I'm mainly worried about the car ride lol.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
hi - I typically recommend NOT travelling with the kids. It can really stress them. And - you need to be conscious of eating and heating. Just because he wont be fed on the sand doesn't mean he wont ingest some of it - they use their tongue to "taste" their surroundings. A seagull (or other bird) could TOTALLY pick up your 15 inch beardie! Have you ever watched one of the nature shows where they show birds dive bombing fish? Please - reconsider.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Have you checked your vet/good petstore sometimes they will tend to them for a fee you bring the stuff food housing.. Is there anyone else that could check in on him??

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I have a friend that travels a lot with her beardie and now her crestie comes with. She goes from Louisiana to Texas, I think. Because she does this regularly, she has duplicates of everything she would have at home so that her dragon isn't lacking anything. She brings it all Back and forth when she goes.

Twinkie13

Juvenile Dragon
Ok so I won't do sand. Very true.

But I don't know what to do about care......you don't think bringing him is the way to go?

We have bonded pretty good. I think he would feel better with me around, right?

Twinkie13

Juvenile Dragon
Yea Patsy......I trust myself more than Petco

And just a week.... He lives in a Sterlite for a while......I think I am bringing him

KrissyLeigh

Juvenile Dragon
As far as the car ride, I bought a cloth mesh cat carrier for my baby and it works great! He can see out, it's padded and comfy, has handles and a pocket outside for his things. Collapsible , so doesn't take up room when I'm not using it. Highly recommend!

As far as travel plans in general, I think if you are confident you can provide him with proper temps and uvb for the week then go for it. Personally I don't take my kid, but I've never been gone more than three days - I look at it like this: if I'm gone three days the most he is going to miss is a few meals. If I take him with me there is potential for relocation stress, improper heating, improper lighting, and accidents- so the lesser of two evils is to let him be a little hungry.

BrookeE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I have to agree with Krissy's comment. These guys health depends sooooo much on their environment. I wouldnt want to put mine through that kind of stress. I get nervous having mine in the car just going to the vet 20 minutes away.

And you really never know when an accident is going to happen. I was in a pretty bad accident years ago (hit a deer in west Texas) with my dog in the car, and luckily I wasn't driving and was able to predict the accident before it happened and hold onto my dog, and he was completely fine, not even a scratch, but I know that it could have been much much worse. So that not only scared the crap out of me, but was a warning about driving with animals in the car. They cant brace themselves. Especially something as small as a beardie, even if you slammed on the brakes, I could see how that could throw them against the side of their container and injure them.

There are a ton of pretty cheap pet care services you can hire to just go to your house once a day to feed and clean up after your beardie. If money is the problem, make it every other day if you have to. I think that would be a much much safer option. Ive got a ton of little "businesses" (more like a person trying to make extra cash on the side) around me that charge about $15 per visit to come and take care of your pet, and will charge even less if you tell them youre not even asking for a dog walk or anything. so Im sure you could find one like that. Just a suggestion. Good luck!

Twinkie13

Juvenile Dragon
Guys he lived in a Sterlite bin/bins his entire life while my custom enclosure was built(which I will post pics of and reco the man who made it) so I do not think he will stress.
My sister watched him in a Sterlite when I traveled last time for a week or so.
I think we are underestimating the durability of the animal. I HAVE to think I can do a better job than Petco/PetSmart, where I would NEVER consider a purchase for any Reptilia period.
I know many here have done so, and I mean no offense....I think it is commendable and I consider the animals rescued from awful conditions so those Beardie owners are the best type in my book!!

Rant over lol. My biggest concern is the car ride. Not so much when we arrive and I get him set up.
I'm actually going to see what my father does with his tortoise....Maybe an option there.
Other than that, they have petco/smarts in FLA for insects(I could always bring supers) and grocery for greens.
I really think it will be ok. He has seemed to enjoy the car rides in the past, although they were shorter.

Any other tips? I really appreciate the responses. It is a healthy discussion and we ALL want the best for our kiddos!!!!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Guys he lived in a Sterlite bin/bins his entire life while my custom enclosure was built(which I will post pics of and reco the man who made it) so I do not think he will stress.
My sister watched him in a Sterlite when I traveled last time for a week or so.
I think we are underestimating the durability of the animal. I HAVE to think I can do a better job than Petco/PetSmart, where I would NEVER consider a purchase for any Reptilia period.
I know many here have done so, and I mean no offense....I think it is commendable and I consider the animals rescued from awful conditions so those Beardie owners are the best type in my book!!

Rant over lol. My biggest concern is the car ride. Not so much when we arrive and I get him set up.
I'm actually going to see what my father does with his tortoise....Maybe an option there.
Other than that, they have petco/smarts in FLA for insects(I could always bring supers) and grocery for greens.
I really think it will be ok. He has seemed to enjoy the car rides in the past, although they were shorter.

Any other tips? I really appreciate the responses. It is a healthy discussion and we ALL want the best for our kiddos!!!!
I can understand you wanting to take him..I would just keep him nice and warm and safe during the car ride and just not feed him if he can't be warm enough and no access to UVB..

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I understand you wanting to take him to. I'm just wondering though, how much time are you going to interact with him? If you are going to stress him out by bringing him to a new place but you aren't going to have much time to spend with him because you are vacationing, it might not be worth the hassle.

Remember that stress is what causes parasite levels to raise.

Twinkie13

Juvenile Dragon
Everyday like usual! What parasite level do you mean?

Going to the beach so there will be plenty interaction

Twinkie13

Juvenile Dragon
Just taking out loud

Is a car ride for 4 hours and daily interaction stressful? These guys many times live at Petco or get shipped by breeders .
Of course we love our babies, but I know I can care for him better than anyone (unless member here lol)
I've raised him to puppy dog tame, custom enclosure and all around handled daily

I would only trust him with fam and they will be with me

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Everyday like usual! What parasite level do you mean?

Going to the beach so there will be plenty interaction

Reptiles always have a low level of parasites in their system and they can live happy and healthy with that level. It's in times of stress and illness that the levels go up and need to be treated. Most dragons at pet stores (and from breeders) do have parasites, that's why it's always recommended to get them tested a few weeks after you bring them home.

KrissyLeigh

Juvenile Dragon
Just taking out loud

Is a car ride for 4 hours and daily interaction stressful? These guys many times live at Petco or get shipped by breeders .
Of course we love our babies, but I know I can care for him better than anyone (unless member here lol)
I've raised him to puppy dog tame, custom enclosure and all around handled daily

I would only trust him with fam and they will be with me

Only you can decide what's best for your baby - you know what level of care you can provide while traveling. I think what everyone is trying to say is just be cautious, and if you can't provide the proper level of care while traveling don't risk taking him. I agree with you in that I think adult, healthy, dragons are pretty resilient. I go to reptile shows and breeders bring their adult beardies, traveling quite a distance. Good luck!

KrissyLeigh

Juvenile Dragon
Heat options For the trip- you can get a transformer (?) And plug a light or heating pad into your cigarette jack and plug in a heat lamp for him. Just be careful not to overheat him

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I wouldn't do a heat pad personally, I would use body heat to keep them warm and since it's summer being in a sunbeam in the car or just making sure it doesn't get too cold if you got the ac on. If its on the cool side likely they will just snuggle up and sleep.