• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Travel Terrarium

BeardiesandBaseball

Hatchling Dragon
My family is planning a trip for a week. We are short on car space. We ordered a 12x12x12 terrarium for our 1 1/2 year old beardie. For one week is this okay? Should we adjust lighting? (we are currently using a tube UV light and a basking light during the day and a red light during the night without the UV)
Thoughts? Advice?
:bd:

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My family is planning a trip for a week. We are short on car space. We ordered a 12x12x12 terrarium for our 1 1/2 year old beardie. For one week is this okay? Should we adjust lighting? (we are currently using a tube UV light and a basking light during the day and a red light during the night without the UV)
Thoughts? Advice?
:bd:
There are several that have traveled with their beardies so I will leave most of that to them, however you shouldn't be using any colored lighting at nighttime, as they don't need the heat unless it gets below 65F and if that happens you should get a CHE (ceramic heating element) Colored bulbs keep them from really being able to sleep as they have an organ ontop of their heads that detect shadows.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
A 12x12x12 is going to be way too small. I'm assuming your dragon is longer than 12" long so that is a week of being folded in half. I would get a 20 gallon breeder. In the car you can put your beardie in a small carrier and you can use the tank to pack bags or something in.

I dragon sat for a friend and used a 20g breeder tank. She was a little cramped in there but it was for a week, she did just fine.

BeardiesandBaseball

Hatchling Dragon
A 12x12x12 is going to be way too small. I'm assuming your dragon is longer than 12" long so that is a week of being folded in half. I would get a 20 gallon breeder. In the car you can put your beardie in a small carrier and you can use the tank to pack bags or something in.

I dragon sat for a friend and used a 20g breeder tank. She was a little cramped in there but it was for a week, she did just fine.
Thank you! Super Helpful!