• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Time between Bowel movements

35 Dodge

Hatchling Dragon
I have been going through some of past post looking for an answer to my question, and yes I know every dragon is different. Normally ours would have a regular BM in the early morning, but than it started to happen later in the day sometime after I had gone to work. So, it became my kids job of clean up at that point. Now he doesn't remember the last time he had a BM (the dragon not the kid). I have placed a calendar next to the vivi to keep track. Rex has been eating every other day some of his salad 3/4" Dubias. We are going to the pet store and buy some crickets today to mix it up. He is currently active so I don't belive he going through brumation. Are their any tell tail signs I should look out for if he is constipated? Would it hurt to feed him baby prune food or pumkin from a can from time to time? And lastly how long has anyone's dragon gone without having a BM before they sought medical help.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
100% pure canned pumpkin is a good treat to help them poop. I have one dragon that goes once a week and I have another one that will sometimes go every other day or hold it for over a week. One time she went 14 days with no poop! The key is to make sure the dragon is hydrated. Give a bath and drop water on their nose to stimulate them lick the water off.

35 Dodge

Hatchling Dragon
100% pure canned pumpkin is a good treat to help them poop. I have one dragon that goes once a week and I have another one that will sometimes go every other day or hold it for over a week. One time she went 14 days with no poop! The key is to make sure the dragon is hydrated. Give a bath and drop water on their nose to stimulate them lick the water off.
Thanks! I think we have been doing a good job with Rex so far. To date he doesn't seem to like his bath he will sit in one spot and not move.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Twinkie13

Juvenile Dragon
My guy hates the bath, but it's great because he poops 100% of the time in it.
Is it true they get hydration through the anal vent?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
My guy hates the bath, but it's great because he poops 100% of the time in it.
Is it true they get hydration through the anal vent?

This has been proven false. Things only come out the vent, not in. They get their hydration orally with bugs and greens that they eat. They have real good kidneys and are able to squeeze the most water out of everything they put in their mouth, including crickets that look like they have no moisture at all.

Squish

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member

This post is helpful to read! I've been rather obsessive learning as much as I can about my dragon as I go. I've noticed he only poops once every 2 to 3 days. He eats tons in the mornings, but doesn't seem as hungry at night so far. Comforting to know the poop times can vary. Figured I'd jump in on this post rather than make my own with the same concern.