• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

The Never-ending Question of Which Bulb

ianedward1

Hatchling Dragon
Alright so I am going to be getting my first beardie soon and I am getting the tank ready. I have a 40 gallon breeder that I am preparing. I plan on using a mercury vapor bulb as that is what I also use for my Leopard Tortoise. My question is what wattage to choose, 100W or 160W. Ambient room temp in my house is the standard 72 F. I currently use a 100W in my tort enclosure and it doesn't ever break 100 F and stays low 70's on the cold side. That enclosure is wood vs glass though and also a bit larger. On the opposite side, I am worried about how hot a 160W may be. Anybody got some help?

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, You should be fine with the 100 watt but also either will be fine as long as you adjust accordingly.

We personally like the 160 better but you will need adjust accordingly.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
MVBs are designed for larger enclosures, Most BD enclosures are not large enough to provide the minimum safe distance required to use them. Also much of the time they will not produce the temps required if the minimum safe distances are followed & a second bulb is required to supplement the heat. So please be sure research what the minimum safe distances are for the particular brand & wattage of MVB you intend on using & be sure that your enclosure will accomodate it, so you do not harm your BD.

Generally a 100W MVB's minimum safe distance is 12" from Bulb to the closest area that your BD has access to, which should be the basking spot. A 160W MVB's minimum safe distance is 15" while most manufacturers recommend having 18" to 20" to be sure. Closer & you are putting your BD at risk of the harmful rays emitted from MVBs at close range.

Power Sun
IMG_1844.jpg

Mega-Ray
Mega-Ray001.jpg

We recommend our bulbs be at 18 inches for the 160watt bulbs. Because you have bearded dragons, a distance of 14 may be necessary to get the proper basking area temperatures. But because of the amount of UV that our bulbs produce we don't want to see them any closer.
http://www.reptileuv.com/mega-ray-product-questions.php?nav=h#s2

ianedward1

Hatchling Dragon
I have seen that chart of UV on other threads and my baking spot will be at approx 16"-18". I have ordered a temp gun to get an accurate measurement. I just didn't know if anyone could tell me whether I would be around a dragons necessary 110+ or up in the range of a uromastyx at like 130F

ianedward1

Hatchling Dragon
You cab order them on Amazon or buy them from most reptile shops. Also home improvement stores and auto stores may have some. They range from $20-$100+

ianedward1

Hatchling Dragon
So just for anybody that may be looking at this post for info, I just checked the temp that my ZooMed 100W PowerSun put at a basking spot being placed on top of the screen of my 40 gallon breeder. I got low 90's (my average room temp is low 70's). I am definitely glad that I chose to order the 160W PowerSun now. This was measured by a temp gun with a D:S of 8:1 and an accuracy of within 2% after 15 mins.

Emulu1

Bearded Dragon Egg
I think this answered my new thread! I want to get a Mercury vapor bul for my future beardie and I have a 40 gallon breeder glass tank. Do you recommend the 160 Watt Zoo Med Power Sun? I was going to ge the dome lamp and lamp stand for it so I could adjust the distance accordingly.

Ozzie&Dino

Juvenile Dragon
I was using the MVB and took it back after it burned out after only 3 weeks so I took it back after spending forty dollars on it and I couldn't ever get the temp right in my forty gallon. Germ is right those bulbs are made for larger enclosures and your best bet is saving money and buying a regular halogen bulb at the store. I am sure Germ will be here shortly to explain in more depth why not to use MVB bulbs in smaller enclosures.

ianedward1

Hatchling Dragon
I use the 160W ZooMed Powersun with great results. My dragon basks under it regularly and temperatures are kept in the proper range. The only time I have a problem is when the weather decides it wants to have a hot day and I don't have the AC on and my house temp is in the 80's which raises my temps in the tank to almost 115F. I use a standard 60W incandescent bulb on the other end of the tank and have a heat gradient ranging from a mid-100's basking to 80's cool side. My dragon's bathroom activities are almost like clock work, he is always hungry, and enjoys a playful walk around the house on my shoulder, so it seems like he is doing quite well with his living conditions.

ianedward1

Hatchling Dragon
Also, I should mention that I use a home made platform that raises the basking spot 3"-6" up from the base of the tank and my temperatures are taken near at about the 4" point.

Nubs

Hatchling Dragon
Janedward1,
Can I see a pic of your enclosure? I just moved Nubs to a 75 gallon tank and am using the 160 watt mvb.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Janedward1,
Can I see a pic of your enclosure? I just moved Nubs to a 75 gallon tank and am using the 160 watt mvb.
This is a very old post, I don't even think this person is an active member anymore.