• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tail Rot in baby beardie? Please help.

Matt Buckley

Bearded Dragon Egg
n6K76Q
So I bought a bearded dragon Monday and I haven't spent nearly every hour with Joey. As soon as I bought him home I noticed that the tip of his tail looked odd. After several hours of googling and examining his tail I heard it could be tail rot. Please can someone give me an opinion? I also heard it could be retained shed in which I have bathed him twice in two days. I have also heard that sometimes beardie can get nipped on the tail at the pet store. I am super worried, can anyone help? Thank you.
URL if link isn't working: https://ibb.co/n6K76Q

Wookie

Bearded Dragon Egg
It is always difficult to tell from a photo but it does look like it was a nip initially. I would definitely make a vet appointment because if it is Tail Rot you want to treat it fast as the flesh necrotises very fast in TR. If it is retained shed then it's only a small problem but it is better to be safe than sorry.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Fernfronds

Hatchling Dragon
Looks like he did get bit on the tail. For now you can apply neosporin or a&d ointment and keep it clean and dry. It should heal fine, but if it doesn't start looking better or it looks like more of the tail is starting to turn black then you'll need to take him into a reptile vet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt Buckley

Bearded Dragon Egg
Looks like he did get bit on the tail. For now you can apply neosporin or a&d ointment and keep it clean and dry. It should heal fine, but if it doesn't start looking better or it looks like more of the tail is starting to turn black then you'll need to take him into a reptile vet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry, what is neosporin/ a&d ointment? Thanks for your quick reply!

Matt Buckley

Bearded Dragon Egg
I am from UK guys, I think I have found an equivalent called Brulidine. Any ideas, do you know how I can find out if it is pain relief or not? Thanks so much!

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
No - Brulidine is an antiseptic.It has no pain relief but it is not a substitute for Neosporin. Neosporin is an antibiotic combination. Go to your chemist (pharmacy) and tell them you are looking for :
Neosporin topical
star.png

Bacitracin, neomycin, and polymyxin B
Good luck ---