• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

tail discoloration

Bre_w26

Bearded Dragon Egg
20727849_858922340930727_1858514529079606163_n.jpg

My beardie has gotten this tail discoloration after his recent tail shed. He has been darker here since I first got him, but now it seems more prominent. What could be wrong with him? Does anybody have any suggestions to take care of this at home? People are quick to say "take him to the vet" at the sign of the slightest issue, however that is not something I want to do if it can be resolved at home. I'm not opposed to taking him if it is serious and cannot be fixed without a vet's help. All of his behavior has been normal, and the area doesn't seem to cause much discomfort. Thanks

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the forum..
Very interesting..did that part shed as well? if so did the shed come off on its own and not pulled off prematurely? How long ago did he shed and could it be getting ready to shed again? as when this age it seems they are always shedding since they are fast growers. Is this the only spot that looks like this? what does his vent look like? any discoloration around his vent?

Bre_w26

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi there! I don't believe he shed this area when he last shed. I believe his last tail shed was around 2 weeks ago and it does not look like it's going to shed any time soon. If it counts he just shed his body area about four days ago. He doesn't have any discoloration anywhere else

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What worries me is tail rot..if it continues to get black and shriveled up his tail may need to be removed before it gets too bad and infection gets into the blood stream..
Now I am not an expert and if this isn't stuck shed I would seek a reptile vet.

Bre_w26

Bearded Dragon Egg
What worries me is tail rot..if it continues to get black and shriveled up his tail may need to be removed before it gets too bad and infection gets into the blood stream..
Now I am not an expert and if this isn't stuck shed I would seek a reptile vet.
I read that tail rot starts from the end of the tail and works it's way up. I will definitely watch out for that. If the soaks don't clear up this problem i will apply a fungicide and if that doesn't work I will take him to the vet

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I read that tail rot starts from the end of the tail and works it's way up. I will definitely watch out for that. If the soaks don't clear up this problem i will apply a fungicide and if that doesn't work I will take him to the vet
Yea typically it does however if he had a bit of stuck shed or damage of some sort that potentially start it.. keep us posted.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
What does the underside of the tail look like where this dark spot is? My boy has dark patches like this on his tail but it's because his tail sheds in pieces and so there are pieces that are still shedding.