• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Swollen tongue

Maddie

Juvenile Dragon
Hey guys

Some of you probably already know RaeAnn and our baby Spyra, I am Spyras other momma [emoji3] I noticed today her tongue looks red and swollen. I'm a little worried since we have so many other things going on with our baby (parasites [emoji53]) was just wondering if anyone has ever seen this before?
edfbccebc4465a808f026fece9638ef6.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Omg I didn't know it was this swollen!! Omg that looks painful!! Has it gotten any better??

Bobbi in Cincinnati - with my 13 hermit crabs, 1 bearded dragon - Sir Wallace and 5 rescue cats!!

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Unfortunately no :/ I would think it has to be painful but she still uses it to eat like a champ and seems to be doing ok. We have both researched it and can't seem to find anything that fits her situation. I've seen things about mouth rot and MBD but none of it really fits this. Her throat appears to be fine as do her gums and her jaw line looks perfectly normal. It's pretty weird

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Very weird. I too did Google it hence the reason I asked you the light questions and if she ate anything that could have bit her, like a hornworm. They are notorious for biting back. Lol

I don't know how you are holding it together with all these problems. I would be a mess. I am so so sorry Spyra is going thru all this. She is a beautiful girl.

Bobbi in Cincinnati - with my 13 hermit crabs, 1 bearded dragon - Sir Wallace and 5 rescue cats!!

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thank you so much! I really appreciate you doing that. It has been rough, I haven't really been able to sleep the past couple of nights thinking about something being wrong with her. In just the short amount of time we have had her we are really attached to the little girl. I'm just praying she stays tough until we can get her into the vet. We did go ahead and order pro biotic so it will be here by than. Based on what you went through with your little guy we took your advice and want to be prepared.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
It's better to be safe and I was talking with PatsyB the other day. She said she gives her beardies probiotics every other day along with the supplements. So it wouldn't hurt to start giving her some of the probiotics. Maybe increase her calcium powder. I dust every feeding.

Have you seen the link where it tells you how many days to give them the calcium powder and vitamin powders? I have it, if you want it I can send it to you.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Yes that would be great! Should I dust both feedings everyday even while feeding calci (Phoenix) worms? The stuff I use has no directions and I've read so many mixed things regarding it online that honestly I've been a little confused.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Yes that would be great! Should I dust both feedings everyday even while feeding calci (Phoenix) worms? The stuff I use has no directions and I've read so many mixed things regarding it online that honestly I've been a little confused.

No! Do not dust the Phoenix worms! They are like all calcium! But let me send you that link.

I feed Wally both dubia's and BSFL's at all 3 feedings.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Ok. I had read they didn't need to be dusted but wanted to be double sure. I definitely don't want to overdose her! But I also don't want her to have s deficiency. I received the link I'll go check it out now and start making some changes. Thank you so much.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Ok. I had read they didn't need to be dusted but wanted to be double sure. I definitely don't want to overdose her! But I also don't want her to have s deficiency. I received the link I'll go check it out now and start making some changes. Thank you so much.

Your welcome, I sent you a few things to read, sorry. I read EVERYTHING! Lol

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Oh I enjoy learning new things, especially about our babies so thank you!

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Your welcome!

Maddie

Juvenile Dragon
I'm hoping the swelling will go down but if not, one more question for the vet next week! [emoji53] that day can't come soon enough we are so worried!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
It's really hard to tell from the picture. They do have fat tongues and they fold under when they are going for food, kinda like a cat lapping up water. So the combination of a fat tongue folded over could make it look real swollen. When she opens her mouth to bask if you can see down her throat with no problem, my guess is that it's not swollen.

Bugs should only be dusted one feeding a day. Phoenix worms don't need to be dusted. I do give probiotics every other day just to keep the gut in check.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
It's really hard to tell from the picture. They do have fat tongues and they fold under when they are going for food, kinda like a cat lapping up water. So the combination of a fat tongue folded over could make it look real swollen. When she opens her mouth to bask if you can see down her throat with no problem, my guess is that it's not swollen.

Bugs should only be dusted one feeding a day. Phoenix worms don't need to be dusted. I do give probiotics every other day just to keep the gut in check.

Thank you so much! I have been so confused about the dusting. How often would you recommend dusting with multivitamins?

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran