• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Superworm bedding...turned green?

BrookeE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Alright this is a new one for me. Had about 50 super worms in a cup with ground up oatmeal. All the sudden this morning it was green. What in the world happened? Did it just get too much moisture and mold? I did put some water gels in there. Theres no fuzz or anything like you normally see with mold, however there is some gooey green muck on the sides. But thats the only thing I can think of. Its not like they're celebrating st. pattys day in there. All the worms are alive and well but I'm gonna toss them I guess. Dont want to feed them to my girl and get her sick. Just really curious what happened. Dont want to lose this many worms again, need to fix my mistake.

Mom of blazey

Juvenile Dragon
I can't remember what superworms turn into. I'm thinking the water gel created some mold. I keep my superworms in 1 of those plastic drawers (3) with oatmeal, I don't usually keep them longer than 2 wks. Definitely get rid of them and start over. Good luck my fellow beardie friend

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

KrissyLeigh

Juvenile Dragon
Yep, some sort of mold. I had that problem a lot with oatmeal - had to switch out the bedding super often. My house is really humid, and just a bit of moisture will do that. Since I switched to wheat bran I haven't had that issue, and it's a lot cheaper - I buy it by the pound at a whole foods type place. The worms should be fine, just let them dry out and switch substrate. I fed them to my beardie afterwards with no issues. I also don't use the water crystals because they are too wet. I have found carrot works the best, because it dehydrated before it molds.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Sounds like it molded. I always take mine out of the cup and put them into a better ventilated container so that I can feed them greens.

BrookeE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Alright. Ill definitely have to rethink my methods. Feeding them veggies is no doubt the better way to go, now that y'all mention it. I was just putting gut load in there for them. Ill give that a shot when my shipment comes in. Thank you all.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I use wheat bran as substrate, I have them in a 4" high flat rectang tupperware the lid has a big vent hole all along the lid. I put veggies that I feed the dragons in a plastic lid to a mayo or peanut butter jar.. and change them out every other day with fresh veggies.

BrookeE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Yeah I put some veggies in there for them and they've dragged it down into the substrate never to be seen again. Putting them in a lid might help that. Good tip.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I use the cardboard drink cup holders. They have holes for the worms to go through and he greens stay away from the substrate.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I live in Arizona where humidity is something we read about (well, unless its middle of monsoons) I quarter carrots lengthwise and small oranges (quartered also) I just throw them on top of the dry food. both the carrots and orange pieces work their way down - when I change them out I frequently will pull a worm out of the orange. no mold here. (would you believe I had to look up "mold" in dictionary.com? no?)

Twinkie13

Juvenile Dragon
Canicke I do the same almost for food. My guy is still 5 months old so eats crix still pretty good and the supers go on the greens in the AM as "croutons" as WeBe Reptiles Michael Behrends says lol.::: sparks them to eat the veggies(for me at least)

Anyway, if I buy 50 I just leave em in the Pet Smart container and cut up a couple carrot pieces and they devour that....maybe a leaf of collard or mustard and THAT is my gut load.

This cool to do and sufficient enough? My guy seems super healthy and robust.... I'll post some more pics, maybe from FLA!!

Also, I tong feed him a few just for the bond.....they are a bit dusty and sometimes he eats a piece of oatmeal I am sure....nothing to worry about there I assume?

Sorry to thread hijack here, but I figure some good questions we can all relate to!
Thanks!!!