• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Spotting a common theme..

BrookeE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I keep seeing people post with concern for their beardies, so I'm looking for an answer once and for all.
Is it brumation season? or is there even such a thing? Spring-Summer to me doesn't seem like a logical time for them to go into brumation, but they are in captivity so that could be irrelevant. But I'm having the same issue as multiple others.

My girl is staying in her hide, not wanting to bask, not wanting to eat, nothing. Wakes up and lays in there all day. If i move her into the light, she will stay there a bit, possibly eat a little veggies, definitely will take bugs if offered, and then go right back. Wont come out voluntarily though. Doesn't seem to be dropping weight at all.

I do know for sure mines a female, she had infertile eggs last August. Her tummy seems to be big and droopy like she could be gravid again. I feel things in her tummy but I'm not a vet and i have no idea if I'm feeling eggs or just her stomach and intestines and things. She keeps going in her hide and digging furiously and relentlessly, but when i put her in the lay box, all she wants to do is get out. Wont dig in there. Anyone have any advice or comments on this?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh that brumation... Yes typically it happens in the fall/winter however being that they are in captivity they can go into it whenever they feel the need to.. it is hard wired in them..
Both of mine have been in and out of their hides the last couple weeks.. if awake I'll bring them out to bask and like yours may or may not eat they will bask and the next day they won't come out again.. I've even tried taking them out in the sun seeing if I can get thru to them to wake up already lol nope ...
It's likely yours isn't gravid but just wanting to sleep, if not loosing any weight I would let her sleep some just monitor her weight and when you bath her see if she will hydrate..

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Brumation is the thing that baffles everyone and there really is no one answer for it. Because it mimics other illnesses, it's best to take them in for a checkup. If it is brumation, you want to make sure they don't go to sleep with any issues going on that will make them lose too much weight when they go down.