• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Size of bugs for young dragons

Kathy_D

Hatchling Dragon
I have gone by the rule of thumb not to feed anything larger than the space between the dragon's eyes since getting my little Heihei. When applying this rule, especially with dubia, I have used the length (head to tail) of the roach. My friend who has 3 bearded dragons uses the same rule of thumb but applies it differently: they use the width (side to side) of the roach. If she is correct, I could be feeding my baby (3.5 months old) bigger roaches. I just want to make sure I am doing the correct thing.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
it depends. for worms - depends on age of beardie. I've always adopted adults so I just feed them worms. I just adopted a younger beardie - 1 & 1/2 yrs and he's on the smaller side so I will get smaller hornworms for him. for dubias - I use length of bug to width of eye spacing (like you)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
With worms I always did body width. With crickets I always did length. If you little one can handle a little bit bigger dubia, I say go for it.