• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Shedding

Rennie

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Mordred is 2yo and I wonder how often he will be shedding I know when they are younger they shed more because they are still growing I have not found anyuthing that says how often they shed as adults .....

Mom of blazey

Juvenile Dragon
Mine shed at least 3x a year, and they are 10 yrs & 7yrs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

Rennie

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Thanks I was just wondering.... are there any signs that I need to look for when he starts to shed?

Mom of blazey

Juvenile Dragon
His skin will change a lighter color as you've already seen. It's a natural thing they've been doing for thousands of years, plz do not peel them yourself unless most of the area is falling off, if the skin comes off and it's wet STOP bcuz you're hurting them and it'll hurt under the hot lights, I learned this the hard way. We love pics here, btw

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

Rennie

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I am not peeling it off I have Anole's and have had beardies but it's been yrs since I had a breadie ..........

BrookeE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
First sign, the color changes. Mine isn't a cool color or anything, so the skin lightens up and looks like a grey/almost dull bluish color. Sometimes its the whole body at once, sometimes just a few spots here and there. They can get a little grumpy when they shed so be prepared for a possible behavioral change while he sheds. A nice warm soak in the bath can help loosen up skin for them, and you may find that they rub against things to try and get it off. As mentioned, resist the urge to pull it off. Remove the dead skin from the tank as it comes off, but dont freak out if he eats some. Ive heard they do this sometimes.
I think the frequency of shedding depends on the beardie, which is why theres not really a hard answer on that. Mine just finished up a full body shed and that was the first big shed in a good while. It had been probably close to a year since a big shed like that. Usually she sheds just parts at a time.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
As adults they will shed in bits and pieces lol my female just did her ears, and both right feet/legs nothing else..