• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Shedding and not eating bugs

Cheyenne and Tony Paulsen

Bearded Dragon Egg
My little one is not interested in his/her bugs or worms today :( all four of his legs are grey looking like they're about to shed and his tail just finished it's shed. I've been giving him baths and veggies which he still is eating those and loves his mist sprays and baths but he just isn't very interested in his bugs. He pooped just fine a bit ago to, he did have some runny poos the last two days after I fed him a big chopped up hormworm but back to normal today. Anyways is it normal for him to not be interested in his insects right now? he usually eats 10-25 dubias a day (I offer him as many as he wants three times a day and when he isn't eating I leave some bugs in his food dishes) and the occasional wax worms and crickets. He did eat two crickets this morning

BrookeE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Its pretty common for them to be cranky and uninterested in food when they're shedding. I would just double check and make sure his temperatures are correct, and keep letting him sit in the bath to help his shed along. Not time to worry yet. Keep us posted!

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you BrookeE! I'm about to let him play/soak in a warm bath now. He's still been pretty friendly and wanting his attention just not too hungry. His basking logs are 111.2 and 99.4 and then his cool side is 79.0 right now. I'm using a temp gun to check

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Sometimes they do go off food when they shed. It is also possible the basking temp may be a little too high. 107-110 degrees is perfect. It's really amazing what a difference in degree does.

Bearded Dragon Egg
My baby is better today!! I was getting so worried. He still appears to be approaching a good shed but I bought a small ten gallon and set up a feeding tank, I was wondering if he was over whelmed in his 40 gal trying to chase the bugs before they could hide which wasn't going well for him or for myself. I also lowered his basking spot just a tad just giving the lights about 30-45 minutes to fully heat up before taking temp. Anyways Shenron ate 8 crickets and 12 dubias this morning he loved the feeder tank!! Im So relived!!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Babies should be at 107 degrees, 110 at the max. You can try a higher wattage basking bulb or even just lifting the basking spot up a bit.

Bearded Dragon Egg
Well I had him at 111 and he seems to really love it there. I'm just adjusting the basking spot until I get the 107-110 area. He ate a ton today 1waxworm about 25 crickets and 16 dubias and of course his veggies and has been in a great mood :) I think the feeding tank did the trick

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hanging out enjoying the sun

Attachments

• IMG_20170221_142535.jpg
    IMG_20170221_142535.jpg
    772.3 KB · Views: 78