• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Shedding and color change.

will_him_is

Juvenile Dragon
Hello everyone,

My beardies are shedding, I was wondering what to anticipate in terms of what happens after each shed to the colors and markings.

Do they generally get brighter, darker? More defined, muted? They are leathers and het hypos, if that helps. Ones partial trans I think cause its belly is so black/blue.

Git' R' for instance was tan and brownish and once somw shed came off his head, he looks yellow...

smokejunky

Juvenile Dragon
Depends on parents and genes , morph and color.anything is possible. Like my baby girl she's a little yellow now but as an adult I expect her to be snow white haha.so just depends

will_him_is

Juvenile Dragon
uploadfromtaptalk1402612579368.jpg

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Mine get lighter after each shed. Dexter was very dark as a baby and now she is all yellow. Luci was dark too and with each shed he's lighter with more pinky orange colors showing.

Honchess

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Everybody's dragon has a pretty color pattern! My General is just brown with dark and light patterns. I'm doing everything I know as far as food and light are concerned.... Does the plain color mean he is sick?!! Am I doing something wrong?

Don't get me wrong. I'd love him ever if he was mud colored! But I worry I'm not taking care of him right. I've only had him about a month.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Don't worry Honchess, My Luci is kinda plain looking too. I call him my milk chocolate dragon because he's just this blend of browns. Sometimes when they shed they can change colors. Luci has maybe gotten a little lighter in places. It doesn't mean they are sick or we are doing something wrong, They are just different. Maybe they are the special ones and all these pretty colored ones are the odd ones because their are so many ;)

Honchess

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Don't worry Honchess, My Luci is kinda plain looking too. I call him my milk chocolate dragon because he's just this blend of browns. Sometimes when they shed they can change colors. Luci has maybe gotten a little lighter in places. It doesn't mean they are sick or we are doing something wrong, They are just different. Maybe they are the special ones and all these pretty colored ones are the odd ones because their are so many ;)

Thank you so much for the reassurance. I never thought about it until I saw all these brightly colored ones. Then I started worrying I was doing something wrong.
I wouldn't trade him for anything, no matter what color he is!!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
You're welcome. They are still growing so who knows what color they will end up. When we got Dexter she was very dark and now she is very light and yellow.

Elemental Dragon Lord

Bearded Dragon Veteran
My Razor is a normal (brown and tan).
There are citrus (orange and yellow), fire (red), ice (white), patternless (one color), tiger, etc, etc, etc, etc. Just think of them as dogs, they look different but all in all they are the same.