• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sexually maturity question

DRUC1F3R

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have two bearded dragons. I think that they are both 5 months old. The male is 16 inches. The female is 14 inches. Over the last week the male has been going crazy trying to breed with female and we've now had to separate them into two different enclosures to stop the fighting. Everything that I've read says that they don't go into sexual maturity until 8 to 12 months so I'm wondering if my dragons are older then I think I got them at the beginning of December 2015 at a pet store and they were three and a half inches so my guess was that they were born in the middle of October sometime. Or maybe he is just a rarity that has gone into sexual maturity early. I Googled how to sex them and he is definitely a he. Just wondering if anybody has any input that may help

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the forum!!
Chances are high that he was older than you thought.. My female is under a year and she's 16". I'm glad to hear that you separated them for the safety of each of them..

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I agree, he could have been older when you got him. My boy was around 9months when he turned on our female. She was a lot bigger than he was but he didn't care. Hope you were able to separate them before anything happened. She is still a little too young to carry eggs.

DRUC1F3R

Bearded Dragon Egg
Welcome to the forum!!
Chances are high that he was older than you thought.. My female is under a year and she's 16". I'm glad to hear that you separated them for the safety of each of them..
How old do you think they would be if they were 3.5 inches on December 1, 2015 then? Your best guess is better than mine, I'm sure. ;)

DRUC1F3R

Bearded Dragon Egg
I agree, he could have been older when you got him. My boy was around 9months when he turned on our female. She was a lot bigger than he was but he didn't care. Hope you were able to separate them before anything happened. She is still a little too young to carry eggs.
What could happen to Dro (my female) if she is pregnant?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
It's really hard to tell how old they would be without an exact hatch date. Their growth depends on the conditions they were in before you got them. If they didn't have proper UVB or heat or a poor diet, their growth would be stunted. We've seen people with 2 year old dragons that look like hatchlings because they didn't have the right lighting.

The risk with little ones laying eggs is her body may be too small to pass them. If she does end up gravid, just keep a close eye on her.